Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How cold is too cold?

Go down 
+14
The Scootist
Meldrew
chindog
exavid
tinman
model28a
Sknrdtec
moonshiner
dspevack
jmaslak
crahar
toolboxjesse
john grinsel
Gyro
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

How cold is too cold? Empty
PostSubject: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:16 pm

How cold does it need to get before you decide it's too chilly to ride?

For me, 45°F, or 7°C, is getting as cold as I care for. If I had a pair of leather chaps, I could probably go a few degrees F colder comfortably. I have absolutely no desire to ride in freezing weather, or when there is snow on the ground - regardless of how clear the roads may be.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Never---dark/ice/wet can be dangerous. Get professional quality riding gear/rubber boots/proper mitts----you are into trikes, so falling down not factor.

Seems Givi adjustable windshield cuts down odd drafts and buffeting better than other windshields on SilverWing

I like feathers ---real cold feather vest as well as feather jacket----this covered by big rain jacket seems to work well....when it gets wet,too.

Chaps=joke for trailer bikers----I have pr of Stone Lake leather bibs, work pretty good, rain pants over when gets wet.Arthur Fullmer has new snowmachine pants. Might try them.

As far as the motorcycling world goes today----it is full of wimps and trailer bikers. Go to Daytona----winter trailer biker center!

Have made several mid winter coast to coast both solo and sidecar. Hondas start at last down to zero F, my Suzukis crap out at around 20F---I survived by taking battery out, warming in sink of hot water and away we go.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 1:57 pm

As long as the roads are clear and there isn't a chance of snow in the forecast or icing I will ride down into the teens. I do have full Tourmaster heated gear though (under-jacket, gloves, chaps, and insoles), Tourmaster textile jacket and pants (size XXL to wear over my heated gear, fleece pullover and base layer) and a tall windshield. I will also usually wear a balaclava under my helmet below 30 degrees. I rode all this winter, practically every workday, my 90 mile round trip commute and saved a bundle compared to the cost of taking my SUV (45mpg compared to 17mpg). I really needed the full heated gear in the mornings, but usually just the gloves in the afternoon when it reaches the 50s.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 3:21 pm

We don't get snow here maybe once in a blue moon probably not that often, so I managed to ignore the weatherman after he said we might get some late at night and went out for a short ride to get out of the house it looked so nice outside. Managed to get about 5 miles from the house and you guessed it! It started snowing so I turned around and that was the scariest 5 miles I've ever rode, people in South East, Texas do not know how to drive in the snow. Plus my helmet does not have wipers so you have to wipe snow off as fast as it comes down, not something I would do on purpose. Just didn't have a choice at the time.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm

I'll second not doing the ice or possibility of ice. But anytime above freezing, I ride regardless of weather as my primary transportation. I wear mesh gear with good liner systems all year round (Tour Master jacket, First Gear pants). I wear a neck gator and heated gloves in winter. Always wear a full face helmet. Haven't yet been cold ever, even when the temp is down to the 30's or we get our strong winds. I won't ride colder than that because one frozen puddle can ruin your day.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Any weather I wouldn't take a walk in, I wouldn't ride in, unless I had a timetable to keep or no other choice.
But of course I'm a Floridian. We don't tolerate a lot of cold.
We are used to driving in wet weather though, but I have a car for that.

I am fortunate that most of my riding is recreational.
When I do go on long trips (a ride from Miami to Daytona for instance) I do what I have to do. I push on thru the rain/cold/both. I'm not afraid of them. I just don't embrace them either. I respect the demands of both and alter my riding accordingly.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 10:15 pm

for me its too cold to ride when "spit freezes before it hits the ground " LOL , I rode mostly all winter , but then again I don't even own a 4 wheeled vehicle ....
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Winter is natures way of telling you to polish . ST
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Sknrdtec, by polish do you mean,

to make smooth and glossy usually by friction : burnish. 2. : to smooth, soften, or refine in manners or condition. 3. : to bring to a highly developed, finished, ...

Or do you mean, Razz

Polish may refer to: Anything from or related to Poland, a country in Europe. Polish language · Poles, people from Poland; Polish (chicken) · Polish cuisine ...
The Polish people, or Poles (Polish: Polacy [pɔˈlat͡sɨ]; singular masculine: Polak, feminine: Polka), are a nation and an ethnic group of predominantly West ...
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:55 pm

If i can fin a good used rear wheel , I have a new 175 70 13 snow gripe DS ready to have it studded so i can use with my Trigg trike this winter.With all my snow mobil clothing and helmet ,all I need is a plug in for my heated visor and I am good to go.With my AF ,UK wind deflectors,and heated grips, I will be warm as toast. chickendance motorcycle
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 12:31 am

tinman, a local shop has one and he wants $100 for it. It is in good shape but it needs a break disk.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 1:18 am

With my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves I can stand to ride in pretty cold weather (prefer not but will) down to the lower 20F range. Seems funny that I didn't mind riding my snowmobile at -15F back in the late '60s but not any more. I've got a bad case of A. G. E.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 7:14 am

I also have a bad case of A.G.E. but winter cabin fever can be worse . My Precious Is well equipped for cold wind buffeting and we do have some warmer -5C whether I could ride to go get my favourite Tim coffee some 45kl away taking the back road at a 60kl speed and a warm coffee when I get there. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:15 pm

I've tried riding in 40 degree weather just to see what it's like, and I can do it if I wear special gear and don't mind being miserable.

But then I realize, I OWN a car, with heated seats no less. Why be miserable just to prove I can ride in cold weather when I can just jump in my car and turn on the nut roaster?

So yeah, I don't ride below 50. Life is too short to freeze your legs off for no good reason.
Back to top Go down
chindog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
chindog

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-03-27

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 7:46 pm

My cutoff is 45 degrees. That's where my gloves stop working. I have Freeze-out glove liners from Cycle Gear, and Bilt Demon leather armored gloves. But any colder than 45, and my fingers start going numb.

The rest of me could stand much colder temps. My cold weather gear is a heavy fleece jacket worn under a Joe Rocket armored jacket with a waterproof jacket liner, and Bilt amored overpants with an inner quilted liner, and Freeze-out long johns. And two pair of socks under my mid thigh boots.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 7:51 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
So yeah, I don't ride below 50. Life is too short to freeze your legs off for no good reason.
If I wouldn't ride below 50 degrees I mite have to take the battery tender off my car drive it a couple times a winter. Your only 45 living in Tennessee you should be able to ride all year down here.(it will get below 50) That takes the bragging rights away from living in Florida, hurricanes maybe but too cold no that may scare away tourists. And everyone knows we love tourists. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:42 pm

model28a wrote:
That takes the bragging rights away from living in Florida, hurricanes maybe but too cold no that may scare away tourists. And everyone knows we love tourists. Rolling Eyes

Especially with fava beans and a nice Chianti. gagged

If its called tourist season, why can't we shoot them? dealwithit
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:10 am

model28a wrote:
DuggleBogey wrote:
If I wouldn't ride below 50 degrees I mite have to take the battery tender off my car drive it a couple times a winter. Your only 45 living in Tennessee you should be able to ride all year down here.(it will get below 50) That takes the bragging rights away from living in Florida, hurricanes maybe but too cold no that may scare away tourists. And everyone knows we love tourists. Rolling Eyes

oh it was cold in TN this winter , not many joy rides , just trips to town when I had too , snowmobiling gloves and many layers of insulated hunting clothes helped some, but I had to make a few 18 degree jaunts that was just pure misery and borderline insane , 40 to 50 degree weather is a walk in the park , I have rode in hurricanes , tornados , blizzards, floods ,ice storms and various other acts of god in my 35 years of riding , andi will say the cold hurts more than it use too ..
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

How cold is too cold isn't just about who goes riding in winter with or without heated clothing. You should also be aware of the effects of wind chill riding in damp or wet gear, and be able to recognise the signs and symptoms for early stage hyperthermia in yourself and others.

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

Meldrew wrote:
How cold is too cold isn't just about who goes riding in winter with or without heated clothing. You should also be aware of the effects of wind chill riding in damp or wet gear, and be able to recognise the signs and symptoms for early stage hypothermia in yourself and others.

If you're suffering the early stages of hypothermia, or even just feeling the effects of the cold, then you are not devoting 100% of your attention to riding. Time to park the scooter, put your feet up in front of the fire and sip a hot beverage containing your favorite spirits. Wink

When I lived in San Diego, I owned a motorcycle, but no car. I sometimes rode in miserable weather, not always by choice, when I should have either stayed home or took public transportation. Sunny Southern California? Yeah, except when it's cold & rainy...
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 10:47 am

As long as the weather forcast is decent and the roads aren't snow packed or icy I will ride down to about 20F. I have good insulated and armoured riding gear and can add more layers and a neck gaiter if needed. A little rain is no problem and I have ridden my route so many times I know each spot where water sometimes freezes on the road, so I slow down before I cross those spots. You just need to excercise a bit of extra caution.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Gyro wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
How cold is too cold isn't just about who goes riding in winter with or without heated clothing. You should also be aware of the effects of wind chill riding in damp or wet gear, and be able to recognise the signs and symptoms for early stage hypothermia in yourself and others.

If you're suffering the early stages of hypothermia, or even just feeling the effects of the cold, then you are not devoting 100% of your attention to riding. Time to park the scooter, put your feet up in front of the fire and sip a hot beverage containing your favorite spirits. Wink

Rapid warming of your body core in front of a fire, and sipping hot drinks laced with alcohol aren't recommended ways to treat even mild hyperthermia.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Gyro wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Rapid warming of your body core in front of a fire, and sipping hot drinks laced with alcohol aren't recommended ways to treat even mild hyperthermia.

I'm sorry. That's the biggest 'wink' emoticon the site has. I'll be sure to preface any future similar comments with CAUTION! This is not actual medical advice... for those who do not understand Yankee humor. Rolling Eyes (sheesh, WT*)
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Humans are indeed a diverse and complicated species.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Gyro lad, it's bad enough Americans can't spell humour correctly, as for what Yankee humor is I've no idea.

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American

To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner,

To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner,

To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander,

To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter,

And in Vermont, a Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.... or still uses an outhouse! Wink

EB White

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:21 pm

As I mentioned previously:
Humans are indeed a diverse and complicated species.

but let me also add "uniquely" before the word "complicated".
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Gyro lad, it's bad enough Americans can't spell humour correctly, as for what Yankee humor is I've no idea.

American humor is a lot like British humour, but funnier. Razz

(btw: humour gets my spelling checker annoyed. It draws a red line under it and tries to respell it without the u.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Well this all depends:

If it is really cold I usually don't just wear a speedo if it is under 40 degrees F.
If it is under 40 degrees F I will then wear a scarf.

Pictures to follow !!!
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Meldrew wrote:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American

To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner,

To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner,

To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander,

To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter,

And in Vermont, a Yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.... or still uses an outhouse! Wink

EB White

And the best Yankee of all is a screwdriver! Laughing

Gyro - Once we have finished teaching you Americans to speak English correctly, rather than talk American, we will start on the written word. You could do some Self Help in the meantime and learn which words should have a 'u' after an 'o'. Rolling Eyes
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 3:59 pm

JeffR_
Please keep the pictures for your own viewing I'm not sure that anyone here would enjoy viewing them! It's bad enough just imagining the view much less seeing it, also most people would quite visiting the site after viewing them.
Embarassed
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 4:27 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:

And the best Yankee of all is a screwdriver! Laughing

A yankee is what a girl gives a man when she is inexperienced in handling his private parts. cyclops
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 5:50 pm

So the man is the yankee and the girl is the yankor?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Its the opposite of a quickie
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:02 pm

crahar wrote:
JeffR_
Please keep the pictures for your own viewing I'm not sure that anyone here would enjoy viewing them! It's bad enough just imagining the view much less seeing it, also most people would quite visiting the site after viewing them.
Embarassed

Oh Ok.... you guys just aren't any fun. Who wouldn't want to see a guy like me riding his SWing in a speedo and scarf. Cool
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:08 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
crahar wrote:
JeffR_
Embarassed

Oh Ok.... you guys just aren't any fun. Who wouldn't want to see a guy like me riding his SWing in a speedo and scarf. Cool

There's a couple of parades I can think of where you would be welcome.... Shocked Cool
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Gyro wrote:
There's a couple of parades I can think of where you would be welcome.... Shocked Cool
Like Key West?
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:27 pm

model28a wrote:
Gyro wrote:
Like Key West?

Dunno about Key West. I was thinking San Francisco. Razz
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 10:15 pm

here is a link to my pic:

www.guywearingspeedoonSwing.com

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 11:51 pm

JeffR, you broke my browser and burnt my retinas. What a Face I sure hope everyone else has enough sense to not go there. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 12:19 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
crahar wrote:
JeffR_

Next thing we know he'll be doing time in jail for indecent exposure!
:lol!:
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:27 am

How cold is too cold- in the fall 10°c is too cold to ride but in early spring 10°c is a welcomed riding day to ride after a cold a snowy winter. Same temp but different ideals. Funny but true!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:13 am

I wonder how many of you actually tried to use the fake link I posted. Smile
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:59 am

Cold as such is not the problem here in the UK, it is the wet that usually seems to accompany it.... Wink I reckon 10C is good riding temp as I can wear simple gear and just add.subtract layers as the day changes.

As long as the roads are clean, dry and no salt around to damage the alloy on the machinery, I will go down to 0C or less on a sunny day, heated grips/gloves are a must though and a heated vest is nice for more than a 30min run. The scoot is much better than a m'bike as the legs are so protected and I was happy to ride in wet and cold on the Swing!

As others have said, good riding gear is a must, the eedjits you see riding in a pair of jeans and trainers make me shudder.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 2:48 pm

I have been getting kick out of what wimps people in south US are on cold Live in MT, ND, MN, WI,Canada...that is cold.....FL,GA, TN aint cold.

Wet--Europe/UK can be very wet and cold in winter. Rode 20 years in thta weather.

Rubber over boots can keep feet dry and most important warm.

Probably warmest I have used----Aerostich one piece, feathers under, Barbour Wax jacket over---1966 Harley mitts-----early spring ride to North Cap in Norway. SilverWing not bad cold weather machine with Givi adjustable windshield.....but not good in fresh snow------best scooter in snow/ice/slush/mud---P series Vespa, my machine of choice for the Elephant rally, also for Stella Alpina rally in summer, where if you ride to the end, there is mud/rocks/snow/left over ice...ride slow and the Vespa went.

I think the real clue is professional quality riding gear, not mesh! I have had electric under stuff---no thanks...it stops working you freeze---this happened to me in Montery MX---south of TX, but I almost frooze to death, mid winter.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:30 pm

john grinsel wrote:

SilverWing not bad cold weather machine with Givi adjustable windshield.....but not good in fresh snow------best scooter in snow/ice/slush/mud---P series Vespa, my machine of choice for the Elephant rally, also for Stella Alpina rally in summer, where if you ride to the end, there is mud/rocks/snow/left over ice...ride slow and the Vespa went.

I think the real clue is professional quality riding gear, not mesh! I have had electric under stuff---no thanks...it stops working you freeze---this happened to me in Montery MX---south of TX, but I almost frooze to death, mid winter.

Vespa... Stella! Respect Smile

Froozing to death sounds unpleasant indeed :D IKWYM about a reliance on technology, but it makes a ride pleasant as opposed something to just be suffered. I usually have proper thermal gear with me too.... just in case!
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I have been getting kick out of what wimps people in south US are on cold Live in MT, ND, MN, WI,Canada...that is cold.....FL,GA, TN aint cold.

Wet--Europe/UK can be very wet and cold in winter. Rode 20 years in thta weather.

Rubber over boots can keep feet dry and most important warm.

Probably warmest I have used----Aerostich one piece, feathers under, Barbour Wax jacket over---1966 Harley mitts-----early spring ride to North Cap in Norway. SilverWing not bad cold weather machine with Givi adjustable windshield.....but not good in fresh snow------best scooter in snow/ice/slush/mud---P series Vespa, my machine of choice for the Elephant rally, also for Stella Alpina rally in summer, where if you ride to the end, there is mud/rocks/snow/left over ice...ride slow and the Vespa went.

You can claim that yours is bigger than mine, but until we whip them out and measure them, I ain't necessarily gonna believe you.

Ever see a documentary on chimpanzees where they go on and on about how smart chimps are, yadda-yadda, but when it starts to rain, the chimps just sit there in the open looking wet, cold & miserable. That's the biggest difference between humans and apes - apes are too stupid to get out of the weather...

I've been caught in the rain on a motorcycle, but I never deliberately left the house on a motorcycle when it was raining.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:41 pm

hotwings wrote:
How cold is too cold- in the fall 10°c is too cold to ride but in early spring 10°c is a welcomed riding day to ride after a cold a snowy winter. Same temp but different ideals. Funny but true!
Funny you should say this. Last night I told a friend I don't like cool nights in the fall as they tell me cold is coming. But I love cool nights is the spring because I know in a few weeks it will be hot enough to cook an egg on the sidewalk. sunny
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:57 pm

If the topic has now moved from cold to rain, riding in the wet is just part of the game. As long as you've invested in good rain gear, preferably in a breathable fabric you'll be fine.

Last summer I remember posting on here about a ride from Mühlhausen in Eastern Germany to the ferry port in Rotterdam in heavy rain with just a rain jacket over my summer riding suit. I didn't bother with the rain pants or gloves because the combination of autobahn speeds, Airflow, and leg wind deflectors was very effective at keeping the worst of the rain off. I actually enjoyed the ride which was about 330 miles from hotel to ferry.

Not all wet rides are like that or enjoyable, I was in Northern Ireland on a 650 Burgman about six months before I bought my Silver Wing and it started raining a couple of hours after I got off the ferry. Then almost continuously for the next three days. The fine rain droplets over there stick to your visor like **** to a blanket! (and yes I treated my visor and screen with Rain-X, and it doesn't work.) The Burgman doesn't have as good wet weather protection as the Silver Wing either, and those big mirrors channel raindrops down into the footwell. Moisture even misted up the inside of one of the Burgmans headlights and took months to clear.

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 7:19 am

I went for a 250klm ride last evening. I took the long way to my brothers cabin (150klm) and enjoyed the day time ride at a balmy 23°C. I stopped and visited a while at the cabin then left as darkness was setting in. I had to travel a 100 klm to home. The temperature had dropped to 14°C in some of the valleys but would rise to a welcomed 17° on the hills. I was only wearing thin jeans and a light shirt and jacket. As darkness set in i felt myself hugging closer to the Swing trying to tuck my legs in as far as i could. I finally made it home feeling like i was in the final stages of hypothermia Laughing . As i rode i was thinking about previously reading this post and thinking this ride is toooo cold for me! I know some of you guys ride in -15°C in a raging blizzard on an icy road in only a T shirt and a thong, but not this guy Wink
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 2:26 pm

14 C Is good riding weather here with my UK wind deflectors.I always carry a pair of wind pants and a hood y and 3 finger winter mitts .The temperature changes fast when the sun goes down. Don't wary grass hopper it's a lesson learn. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How cold is too cold?   How cold is too cold? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How cold is too cold?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next