Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Madstad Windshield

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Madstad Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Madstad Windshield   Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 4:58 am

Does anyone have experience with Madstad windshield/mounts on SilverWing 600---not just ride around block but thousands of miles in all weathers??

Idea is good---maybe way to overcome bad initial design of scooter??

I like/want calm air about the head equal to Heinrich equipped BMW or NT 700 V Honda up to 70mph.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Madstad Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Madstad Windshield   Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 1:02 pm

John,

Last August I installed the Madstad windshield on my 2002 SW and after some short test rides took it to the STO in Sept - would guess I have about 1k on it including some rain and late season cold weather which is probably not enough for a complete experience but it is what it is.

I had the large Givi windshield [also the Honda original] and wasn't happy with the backblast and buffeting on my helmet - decided to try the Madstad vs the Givi AF just to be different and that the angle was adjustable on the Madastad. I am happy with the result in that there is less buffeting and wind noise on the Madstad - must mention that it takes a few tries on both the height and angle to come up with your individual preferences. I first put it full up with a lower angle - great for the noise and buffeting but at 6 ft I was looking through about 2 inches and decided to lower it and increase the angle - that is where I currently have it.

The Madstad is smaller and doesn't have the hand protection so that is a tradeoff but I'm OK with that - have thought about contacting the company and asking if a wider shield is a possibility but it is not a priority. Riding in the rain is better with the Madstad than the Givi but doesn't completely shed the water either.

Mounting the Madstad on the SW was easy and just used the existing holes to mount the aluminum plate and then the brackets are mounted to the plate - there is some flex while riding but seems sturdy.

Last, I have some pics of the Madstad in my album on this site which may provide some additional info.

Hope this is of some help,

Rick V

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Madstad Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Madstad Windshield   Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 7:09 am

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-04-05

Madstad Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Madstad Windshield   Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 1:22 pm

RickV wrote:
John,
.... decided to try the Madstad vs the Givi AF just to be different and that the angle was adjustable on the Madastad. I am happy with the result in that there is less buffeting and wind noise on the Madstad....The Madstad is smaller and doesn't have the hand protection so that is a tradeoff but I'm OK with that - have thought about contacting the company and asking if a wider shield is a possibility but it is not a priority. Riding in the rain is better with the Madstad than the Givi but doesn't completely shed the water either.

Hope this is of some help,
Rick V

just checking, to see if I've got this right - u replaced the adjustable Givi Airflow that everyone on here raves about with the Madstrad and think it's better except for wind on the hands? $80 better?
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Madstad Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Madstad Windshield   Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 2:41 pm

No, did not replace a Givi Airflow - I had the large Givi fixed shield [and also the original Honda shield] and was considering both the Madstad and the Givi AF as replacements - did not have any prior experience with either the Givi AF or the Madstad prior to purchasing the Madstad. I do not have any specific issues with the Givi AF and obviously many people are very happy with them. My choice finally came down to the angle adjustment with the Madstad and thus far I am happy with the choice.

Questions?

Rick V
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-03-14

Madstad Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Madstad Windshield   Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Thank you so much for posting your experience with the Madstad shield! I currently have the large fixed Givi shield (NOT THE AIRFLOW), and I'm not happy with it. I get some buffeting, but the thing I really hate is not being able to look over the screen, especially in wet or foggy riding conditions. I have had several times where the shield fogged up, and I was riding blind, or leaning out to look around it (how unsafe is that?!?)

I've been eying the Madstad and the Givi Airflow for some time now, trying to decide. I like the looks of the Madstad, and they have been very responsive to my questions.

I have not been so impressed with Givi - crappy instructions for installation, my fixed shield has never seemed all that well designed to me, and I had to return the first one they sent because it was cloudy. Yet everyone here has totally loved the Airflow, mand it is cheaper.

Recently someone here had posted the Givi had gone up in price, so I was leaning toward the Madstad again. I also like the idea of being able to adjust both height and angle, and I like the idea of a much smaller screen (and they offer tint options for 10 dollars more).

But I am still kind of on the fence, and trying to get more info on both. Thanks for the first personal experience I have seen on the Madstad!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Madstad Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Madstad Windshield   Madstad Windshield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Madstad Windshield
Page 1 of 1