Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 2:56 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi Windshield Rattles

Go down 
+4
tinman
Guy
DaveR
BillScooterDude
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Givi Windshield Rattles Empty
PostSubject: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 6:47 pm

In September I bought a 2003 Silver Wing in great condition with 7800 miles on it. The only negitive is the Givi windshield (nonajustable) rattles and is very annoying.

Would going back to the stock shield stop the rattles? I really don't need a tall windshield. What would be the negitive of doing this.

I've read on the forum how all the member rave about the Givi windshield.

Question to the Forum members how can I eliminate the rattle
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 7:10 pm

I do not think it is the wind shield. I think it is the panels which are around the windshield. I think you will find this is a trait of the Silverwing. Especially when it is the least bit cold.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 pm

My adjustable one also rattles. The installation instructions could be a little clearer, especially as to the two screws that are difficult to find and install. I did install them, but it still rattles. I know it is the shield, because I can reach up and hold onto the shield and the rattling stops.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Same here I can hold the top of the shield and the rattle stops.

Keep the comments coming,need help!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 pm

I would check all the screws inside the fender wheel , the bat wing , you would be surprise how a loose screw can cause vibration to the W screen.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 1:56 am

I haven't experienced any rattles on the Givi Adjustable I recently installed. One possible place that might rattle could be the area where the notches are at the bottom at the ears. Those two slots could rub on the windshield garnish or glare shield. I installed mine with the two metal brackets. It took awhile to figure out how they were supposed to go in but eventually either I soaked up some Italian or guessed right and got them in. I tried it first without the brackets and found a lot more movement in the windshield when flexing it so decided the brackets really should go in, they tie everything together a lot more firmly though they do make the two screw behind the windshield harder to get started.
One other consideration is that it might not be the windshield but just the flexing of it that's causing something else to rattle. I found a couple of screws missing and two plastic rivets missing on my scooter when looking things over prior to installing the Givi. It's maddening, when checking the drive belt a couple days ago I found one of the side cover bolts missing. It looks like some lazy SOB didn't want to take the passenger foot rest off to remove the cover so just left the bolt out. Lucky for me the steel boss in the cover hadn't fallen out. Lucky for me too I had a metric bolt in my junk box that fit. I really hate it when people who are either lazy or inept work on bikes or anything for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Even with the rattle I still prefer the adjustable Givi over the original. I am 6'2" and the wind buffet around my head was just to great. If I could not have solved that problem I probably would have sold my '07 SW.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm

The more I ride with mine the more I like it. It will be nice to see how it works in the summer when the hot weather sets in. I haven't ridden much with it all the way down but it seems to allow more air past my helmet but without as much buffeting as you'd expect, even all the way down it seems smoother than the OEM.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 am

Are we talking rattle or squeek? Parts rubbing together can be quieted by some Pledge or even bike chain lube in the joints.

Also check for proper installation of shield. The non-adjustable works better with the metal braces and the 2 extra holes drilled. Are all of the well nuts utilized?
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 11:25 am

I should be getting my AF shield today. So what's the consensus on the brackets? I took off the front plastic to get ready for the new one and I see one flat tab is missing and one of the hooked ones was bent, my doing?...
I crazy glued the bent one back but the other is gone...oh well...
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 11:51 am

ridr44 wrote:
I should be getting my AF shield today. So what's the consensus on the brackets?

We have our own dedicated thread for this, enjoy the read and you'll be able to have ALL Givi adjustable screen questions answered!!!!!

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1677-givi-airflow-adjustable-windshield-review?highlight=givi+screen
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 11:56 am

My noice is a rattle/rumbling sound. All of the screws are tight nothing is broken everything appears to the way it is supposed to be.

I cannot figure out what's causing the rattle, very frustrating and annoying. I'll try some chain lube and see what happens.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

It is very likely that the vibration rattling is resounding from the drive system like a sounding board . Try putting your Swing on center stand and rev the engine to 60 mph to see if there is any difference in the rattling.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:34 pm

One caveat. Be sure you either have the centerstand tied forward so it can't vibrate and let the bike down or have the front wheel against something that can't be moved if the stand came down. I've checked rear wheel balance that way on several bikes but always secure the stand or bike so an accident couldn't send the bike on a wild rampage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windshield Rattles   Givi Windshield Rattles I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi Windshield Rattles
Page 1 of 1