Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:39 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi windshield

Go down 
+9
bikerboy
paul.delo451
tarmacburner2
Meldrew
Scoundrel
exavid
JeffR_
PHXScooterBill
johnd
13 posters
AuthorMessage
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Is there any way to buy and install a vent into our windshields.
I have a nice large Givi but the other day, I rode a Goldwing with a vent in the middle and it was quite warm until I opened the vent and got a nice blast of air. The warm weather is coming some time and would like to be ready. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 pm

John,

When I bought my Clearview XL with the vent the windshield was very flimsy. If I would go 65 mph it was ok but would still bend back but at speeds over 80-85 it was bent way back and the few times I went full throttle it was almost hitting my chin. I think that is the reason they discontinued with the vent on the XL.

Some have the same shield and they don't get the flex'ing that I got, but others have had to replace their shield. The reason I'm saying this it maybe if you do this to somehow support the shield around the hole you cut. If clearview would only have made the shield thicker it would have been nice. The B650 riders have never complained about this, that I know of. Just a thought. I think the standard Givi shield is strong enough to put a vent in though since it seems to be more sturdy, IMO. And I have had most of the popular shields.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 pm

The best answer would be to install a Givi adjustable windshield like the on in the picture on top of this page. Mine is great, definitely the best thing I've put on my SW. It was cold out when I installed it and really helped keep the cold off my face and hands while still being able to see over it as well as greatly reducing the helmet buffeting I got from the OEM screen.
I'd be careful about installing a Goldwing sized vent in a SW windshield because it would weaken the windshield in the bending mode. The GW vent won't supply the stiffness of the missing plastic from the cutout. The GW vent is also pretty dependent on windshield thickness because there are only two screws at the bottom to hold the vent in place, the top is just held by a plastic tab at each corner so there's little clamping pressure holding things together. That doesn't matter on the GW screen as much as it's wider and the hole for the vent is proportionally narrower leaving more 'meat' in the windshield's width.
Back to top Go down
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 am

OK, wait a minute.

I read a bunch of posts about how awesome the GIVI AF214 windshield is, and I ordered one.

Does that model have this "back pressure" problem?
What is the back pressure problem?

Am I going to wish I had more air flow with the AF214?

It's currently on Back-Order. It's probably not to late to cancel it. Please advise.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 am

There's less 'back pressure' with the adjustable than there was with the OEM. At high speed with the windshield at its highest setting I did get a bit of push on my back at 90+mph. At normal speeds very little it any. Less buffeting on windy days around semi trucks too.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 am

What exactly is this mythical 'back pressure' that occasionally gets a mention on here? I have never experienced or felt it riding behind the usual rubbish noisy OE windscreens, or any of the variety of replacement screens I've bought over the years. Neutral

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:05 am

Certainly isn't 'mythical', it is just that you haven't experienced it yourself.

I find that the back pressure tends to be more prevalent when doing motorway speeds. It is even more so if not carrying a top box.

Certainly not enough force to push me forward but it does give me a cold spot at the bottom of my back.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:11 am

Hi Meldrew, its not mythical. I get a push on the back of my neck but even at higher speeds its not a problem except for a cold draft during the colder weather. I have the Givi AF
Back to top Go down
http://www.coventryselfstorage.co.uk
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 am

I'm not sure about 'back pressure' as I'm not a small person but I do remember many years ago riding my BMW R100 with it's Avon fairing and watching my loose jacket belt flapping forwards because of the negative air pressure between me and the screen. I assume that this is a similar phenomenon and is possibly why some screens have vents or gaps at the bottom.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 am

bikerboy wrote:
I'm not sure about 'back pressure' as I'm not a small person but I do remember many years ago riding my BMW R100 with it's Avon fairing and watching my loose jacket belt flapping forwards because of the negative air pressure between me and the screen. I assume that this is a similar phenomenon and is possibly why some screens have vents or gaps at the bottom.

Known as 'back pressure' on here as some members have problem spelling 'negative' Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:01 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Certainly isn't 'mythical', it is just that you haven't experienced it yourself.

So what am I doing different if I haven't experienced it myself? I've always worn something round my neck to stop draughts or rain and I make sure my cuffs are sealed to prevent my jacket ballooning with air, and I wear a back protector so my lower back has warmth and support. So if you're getting cold seal the draught.

In the past I've had a variety of full and half fairings and there's nothing I can remember from then either, so to me it is mythical or it's just a fancy name for a draught! Smile
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 am

I think you're on your own with this one Meldrew. It's not about a "draught", or "feeling a bit cold". I agree that one can take steps against those.

I had a tall, fixed, Givi screen on my Burgman, until someone pushed the bike over and broke the "sticking out" hand guards!! Had that not occurred, I'd have cut the screen down by six inches. The additional height over the standard screen (and perhaps the curved shape at the top) caused a vortex which pushed my head forward. It became quite tiring after a while.

With the standard screen there was no such effect (but my hands were colder!)

Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-03-14

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 am

I have the older-style Givi fixed screen - it is wider and taller than the OEM screen. I do get some of the negative pressure on my head/neck, but it is only really noticeable at highway speeds - and it only tires me out when I am closer to 70 mph. The times I have gone faster than that, it was pretty bothersome.

It might be a function not only of screen height and width, but also rider height. I am 5'-10" tall, but since I am all legs, and have a short torso, I am fairly "short in the saddle". Maybe that's a part of it. Also, maybe I am more concious of it because I have ridden behind shorter screens on different bikes.

I am currently planning a screen swap, but honestly not mostly due to the negative pressure, more because I absolutely hate not being able to look over the top of the screen when I want or need to. I also think a new screen (either the MadStad or the Givi AF) will also elimintae the negative pressure issue too, though.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Redhead,

Just take the screen off and take it to a glass shop and have them cut off a couple of inches. I cut about 1"-1/2" off mine and I'm 6' with a tall torso. I didn't do a good job but if you have the patience to do this you can do it too and cut it yourself. It reduced the amount of backpressure for me when I did this.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Colin B wrote:
I think you're on your own with this one Meldrew. It's not about a "draught", or "feeling a bit cold". I agree that one can take steps against those.

OK it's maybe a bit of turbulence then, I've put about 12" of leftover SAENG 'stealth edging' on central the top edge of my lower Airflow section, it smooths out the air rushing through and breaks up rain droplets.
Back to top Go down
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-12-13

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Greetings All,

I'm mostly with Meldrew on this one.

All combinations of bike, screen, rider, helmet, weather conditions will generate some degree of turbulence, draught, or back-draught.

Personal adjustments that work are equally varied and possible - scarves are good, neck-warmers too.

Best cure is to take the car!

Regards to all,

Amicalement,

Clive
Back to top Go down
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:14 pm

If it helps Ramblin Redhead decide on which which screen to go for, I can confirm that as a 5'10" Givi AF214 user, the screen is pretty near perfect in my opinion.

No more draught or turbulence than you would expect (out in the open air on a motorcycle!) - indeed hardly any at all worth mentioning.

I find it very comparable with my 1200GS at high cruising speeds (80+). Never intrusive or in any way uncomfortable.

Regards

Clive
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 pm

The pressure I feel is on the small of my back. Buffalo jacket, neck snood, kidney belt, windproof overjacket so not a cold draught. Haven't resorted to trying lengths of knitting wool onto the top of the screen to see the air patterns!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:49 pm

clivewalsh wrote:
I can confirm that as a 5'10" Givi AF214 user, the screen is pretty near perfect in my opinion.

No more draught or turbulence than you would expect (out in the open air on a motorcycle!) - indeed hardly any at all worth mentioning.

I find it very comparable with my 1200GS at high cruising speeds (80+). Never intrusive or in any way uncomfortable.

THANK YOU. I asked about this a while back on this thread but nobody answered. I was like "Hallooo, anyone there?" Then: crickets...

I figure if the AF214 does not provide enough airflow to keep me cool in the summer, I'll buy some of these: Cable Hole Cover Caps.

If I do it slowly and carefully, I should be able to use a hole saw to cut a couple of holes in the shield, shave these things down, and glue them in place. Then I can just rotate or remove the covers when I want more airflow.
Back to top Go down
clivewalsh
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Seems to me you will be giving yourself a lot of extra work for little gain.

The Givi at its low(est) setting will give you plenty of air I'm sure.

In extremis you could run without the upper sliding part!

REgards

Clive
Back to top Go down
Scoundrel
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Scoundrel

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Well, I did say "if". Obviously I'll run it without the extra effort first and see how it is.

I have a really tall GIVI windshield on another scooter that is great for winter but doesn't give much airflow for summer riding. But it is not a two-piece like the AF214, and the scooter design does not have the airflow hole built into the fairing like the SWing does.

So maybe it will be fine all by itself.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 4:34 pm

clivewalsh wrote:
Seems to me you will be giving yourself a lot of extra work for little gain.

The Givi at its low(est) setting will give you plenty of air I'm sure.

In extremis you could run without the upper sliding part

I wouldn't recommend it, with the top section removed the lower screen channels turbulent air straight under your helmet, and the wind noise will make your ears ring even wearing a good set of ear plugs.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3792
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I think there's more turbulance, back-pressure or whatever caused by the gap between rider and top-box; I get far less if the space is filled with a holdall on the pillion seat.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 5:55 pm

That is because the holdall is in the path of the vortex acting as a spoiler causing it to disperse.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Hello? The only person that understood I was looking for a
"vent for the windshield" was Scoundrel. Thank you very much.
I spent 1 hr. looking at the Original Snap Vents (Vtter) and other options along with sending questions to the manufacturers and still have not received the answer to my question, of what we can install in our windshields to cool us off while riding in the heat, that we can use as S/W riders.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 am

Hello? 30 seconds after reading your post I found out that Clearview Shields sell a 5 way Adjustable Vent for $69.00, you could have done that! Neutral
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 am

Googled 'Vetter vents' and received 'About 163,000 results (0.31 seconds)'

Johnd: What were you using Yellow Pages!

The snap vent appears to do everything that you want from a vent.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/online_store/Replacement_Parts/snap_vent_alert1.html

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 am

I found the Vetter vents thanks to the first reply and the Goldwing vents that will not fit our windshields.
When I get to be as old as Meldrew, I if I ever get that old, may God give me the patience to deal with slow people such as myself and not have cocky attitude about everything. But thanks for your amazing amount of information you have up stares that helps people like slow Jo out.

Hay tarmacburner2, are you saying that you don't use the yellow pages any more. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 10:22 am

Meldrew. I checked out the Clearview and that is exactly what I am looking for. I will call them when they open and get more information. You da man!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 am

It's that cocky attitude that keeps me young mate. If you want a vent buy a Clearview shield with one fitted, a screen you can lower for a blast of cooler air, then buy the Airflow.

You want to stay cool in summer? buy a cool vest, wear mesh riding gear, breathable wicking underwear, wear a wet wrung out bandana round your neck, dampen the inside of your helmet or a helmet liner, wear a vented helmet, put frozen gel packs inside your jacket, put ice cubes inside a Camelback bladder along with your favourite cold drink, carry a spare pare of summer gloves to wear when the first pair get sweaty, rehydrate regularly etc. All pretty simple things anyone can do I'd say.

You don't really have to install anything on your screen to stay cool do you. Neutral
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 4:27 pm

johnd wrote:

Hay tarmacburner2, are you saying that you don't use the yellow pages any more. :lol!:

It has been surpassed by Google.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks Meldrew. If is OK with you, I would rather just adjust the air conditioning up or down and be done with it. :lol!:
At my ripe old age I would rather not have to carry everything you mentioned and I already have and just be lazy.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 am

Just talked to the people from Clearview about installing the vent.
He was very honest and said "in 27yrs. we have never had any luck installing the vent in a windshield that was not there own" there is a process of cutting and heating the vent so as to be a perfect fit. 9 out of 10 people who buy the vent and try using caulking and glues are not happy with the results. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Givi windshield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi windshield   Givi windshield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi windshield
Page 1 of 1