Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front wheel drag

Go down 
+3
RArch
model28a
buckwild47
7 posters
AuthorMessage
buckwild47
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Just purchased a 2008 Silverwing from a little old lady, 2577 miles. Garage stored, covered, on Battery Tender. Decided to change 5 year old tires. Purchased a set of Metzeler Feelfree. Took the tires to the local Honda dealer for change out. On the way home it felt like the front tire was out of round. Applied the front brake, no pulsing through brake lever. Applied the linked brake, no pulsing. The pulsing seem to stop at 45 miles/hour When I got home, I smelled a burning of something. Checked the front disk, very warm. Jacked the front wheel off the ground. The front wheel was hard to turn, in either direction. Immediately called the dealer and they said bring it in. The dealer disassembled/reassembled twice, with no difference in drag. On the third try what ever they did seemed to work. As soon as I left the dealer and used the front brake the pulsing started. Turned around and headed to dealer. They didn't want to deal with me at that time. I made an appointment at the end of this week. Any one have an idea what might be causing the pulsing.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 pm

"Subject: New Member Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:00 am
Just purchased 04 Swing from 83 year old with 1633 miles. Looking forward to being a member of your great site."

You seem to have forgotten your first post.
What did the Honda dealer do to fix the front wheel? Perhaps the disk is warped, if you have an dial indicator check for run out on the disk. If you don't have an indicator try putting something close to the disk and turn the wheel and see if the gap between the disk and whatever you put close is inconsistent. If so you have a warped disk. If the disk got to hot for to long it could have warped it.
Also welcome to the forum. welcome
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 4:28 am

The calipers may need cleaning and lubing...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
buckwild47
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Front Wheel Drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:13 am

Before I took the Swing to the dealer for the tire change, I had jacked the front wheel off the ground to clean the rim. I didn't notice any abnormal drag. On my first trip back to the dealer, I told the service manager it seems like a bent rotor. The service manager asked me if the front brake pulsed when applied? I answered that it didn't. His reply was; then its not a bent rotor.
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Looks like caliper or brake pads are stucked . Caliper has to move freely on its sliders .They removed front caliper to extract the wheel..didn't they?Or... they didn't tighten front axel with the right order
Back to top Go down
buckwild47
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

micbusathens,

Yes, they did remove the front caliper during the tire removal and reinstalled caliper same in reverse order. But they didn't use the right order when tighting the right and left holder bolts axle bolts. Nor did they compress the fork with front brake applied before tighting the right axle holder bolt. I will be returning to the dealer tomorrow. I will let you know the solution.
Back to top Go down
buckwild47
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 9:51 am

micbusathens,

Problem(s) resolved. Front wheel bearings were not seated properly. The dealer installed new wheel bearings FREE OF CHARGE. The second problem
was caused by ME. The front wheel seamed to be out of round. I had installed a home made front wheel mud guard and the center bolt was lined up perfectly with the center grove in the new front tire. The Metzeler Feelfree center grove has a curving and not a straight cut. The mud guard was installed on the old tires and didn't rub. The dealer found and installed a new shorter nut/bolt. NO more out of round feeling. Just goes to show how smart I am. I am really lucky to have Honda dealer who cares about customer service
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 10:33 am

Glad to hear your problem resolved
. You've got yourself a wonderful pair of tires.Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 10:54 am

Nice result. Glad it's resolved. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Thank you for letting us know what the problem was and that you got it resolved. All too often people ask for help and never let us know when they get it fixed. Glad it turned out well for you. applause
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Front wheel drag 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 12:01 pm

buckwild47 wrote:
micbusathens,

I am really lucky to have Honda dealer who cares about customer service
Who's the dealer? Give them the credit.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 12:35 pm

"Hi Yo" wrote:
buckwild47 wrote:
micbusathens,

I am really lucky to have Honda dealer who cares about customer service
Who's the dealer? Give them the credit.

applause
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 12:49 pm

I am very lucky in that my Honda dealer does ALL my Swing work ... in fact, they take such good care of me, keeping BOTH rides on the road, when I call, Jeff knows my voice and says 'what did you do now? where are you?' and 'when I turn up your road to come get you, about how far are you?' ..... Laughing They are M&M Motor Sports in Kalamazoo, and YES they know me by name and by bike!! Laughing Not sure if that says a lot for them or for me, but I only let THEM touch my bike!! Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
buckwild47
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 10:20 am

Rockwall Honda/Yamaha, Rockwall, Tx.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front wheel drag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front wheel drag   Front wheel drag I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front wheel drag
Page 1 of 1