Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front wheel seems a bit heavy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Front wheel seems a bit heavy Empty
PostSubject: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 11:14 pm

I had a new (2009) Pirelli Diablo installed on my bike a few weeks ago. Now, when I turn it feels like the bike wants to fall over a bit more and the front wants to turn in. It seems I am pushing harder on the handlebars to keep the front fork from turning more into the turn. I am not sure if the bike did this previously but it seems to me it did it a lot less...

Would a tire change cause this? Are there settings that could have changed?

Of course it could be that I am getting a little more aggressive with my lean and am leaning a little bit more into the turn. I tried balancing more carefully and riding hands free (well, barely touching the handlebars) and it was not a problem as long as I didn't lean as aggressively. I learned to "lean with my head and point to where I was going".

Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 6:28 am

Firstly check tyre pressure. First indication of a slow puncture is heavy steering!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 4:49 pm

In addition to proper pressure. Ideal is tires replaced as matched pairs.

#2 Diablo not on the decal of Honda recommended tires for SilverWing.

I had good luck with Diablo on ReFlex, have fresh set for my now 5,000 mile new Burgman.

Diablo provided more fun ride for me on scooter---remember foot pressure also an. aide to cornering---push right/go right
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 11:21 am

Seems to be any number of opinions on this among various sites, although I have never used unmatched tyres personally.

The most interesting comment I noted was riding with unmatched tyres is like walking with unmatched shoes. Can it be done? Yes. Will some combination of unmatched tyres/shoes seem unnoticeable when working together and other combinations seem more noticeable? The consensus was yes that's probably true.

Unfortunately, my old front tyre was cupped pretty badly but the rear wore evenly. I have been very pleased with front and rear Diablos since replacing that set. But at that point just about anything would have been an improvement.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 11:31 pm

The rear tire is also a Diablo but went on the bike last year, 4500 miles ago.

The old front was not worn out, just pretty old and looked to have very fine dry rot cracks. I read an article that pointed out that is was dangerous to have tires more than 6 years old and that tire was an 05. There is 4 diget number after the letters DOT on a tire that tell you the week number and the year that the tire was made.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:32 am

We're not too far from each other. Maybe we can meet somewhere, swap rides, and compare notes.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 2:06 am

redeye wrote:
We're not too far from each other. Maybe we can meet somewhere, swap rides, and compare notes.

Sounds like a really interesting idea. It would be good to compare sounds, handling, etc.

The bike does seem to be running fine - my BIL invited me to ride with his Goldwing club to an event and I had no issues keeping up. Smile

I will try to give you a holler when I get back from a trip - June. Right now I am trying to catch up with life stuff so I can go on the trip...
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:01 am

Sounds great, and I understand catching up with life. My calendar is pretty full with end of year college, school and sports activities with my daughters right into early June. Looks like our schedules should clear up at about the same time. I'll send you a PM with my phone number -- call or text any time.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:50 am

Matching tire rule is perpetuated by tire sales people. Wheels roll independently of each other on a motorcycle. Characteristics of each is so different, that tread design makes little difference.

Cars.... different story, always match tires from one side to the other but it makes no difference between axles.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front wheel seems a bit heavy   Front wheel seems a bit heavy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front wheel seems a bit heavy
Page 1 of 1