Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Wobbly front end

Go down 
+13
"Hi Yo"
KurtPerthWA
Old Sloppy
SCTLVR
tinman
J.R.
model28a
robert
acworthpatrick
waterboy
GHM-PM
RArch
Starship Enterprise
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Starship Enterprise
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 am

Right then, at low speeds the front end of the SW feels rather wobbly...almost as if the forks have no damping or the front wheel is buckled.

The front forks don't leak but are very soft.

Al the bolts that hold the forks in are tight so is this normal for an SW or...?

Any ideas?

Oh, fron tyre is up to pressure.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 am

Some suggestions here: https://www.silverwing600.com/search?search_keywords=wobble&typerecherche=interne&show_results=topics

I fitted Hydropro fork springs and SW20 fork oil which is an improvement over standard. A search on here will find more info on this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 9:04 am

Could be as simple as a tire that is worn or out-of-balance.
Back to top Go down
waterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-06

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 am

Yes, don't overlook the small stuff. The tire will look inflated when it's way low. When I test drove the SW I bought recently, I heard a roar coming from the front end. Figuring whatever it was wouldn't be that expensive to fix, I bought the scooter anyway. (a 2003 with 2000 miles on it). When I got it home, I checked the air in the front tire. It had six pounds. The rear had 14. I aired them both up and the roar went away.
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:06 am

Check your front wheel bearings, this is exactly how mine felt when the failed. Not saying it is your bearings, but if they fail completely later on the wheel won't turn at all. Not a good feeling Sad

If you put one hand on the forks see if you can wiggle the wheel on the axle rod at all, if so pull it off and check the bearings ASAP.
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 am

Low speed front end wobble is normal on Swing, you notice it goes away when you pick up speed, still, for your peace of mind it's good to check things out, Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 am

I never had any wobble at any speed until the bearings failed. Maybe I am not interpreting what your referring to as wobble correctly though.
Back to top Go down
Starship Enterprise
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Checked the pressure and that was fine, did notice quite some weights on the front and some that apperantly came off as all that was left was the black sticky stuff...why on earth would a wheel need that much weight to balance a tyre I wonder...

Dear oh dear...did I buy a lemon?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Is it wobbly when you have a firm grip on the handlebars, or is it only when you have a light grip ? It is not uncommon to have wobble if you leave lose your grip. Read the question steveonfarm ask.(link below) Is this what you are wobble you have ? If so it's not a lemon. Probably would go away when you fit new tires.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t4926-worrying-wobble?highlight=wobble#46293
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 2:51 pm

model28a wrote:
Is it wobbly when you have a firm grip on the handlebars, or is it only when you have a light grip ? It is not uncommon to have wobble if you leave lose your grip. Read the question steveonfarm ask.(link below) Is this what you are wobble you have ? If so it's not a lemon. Probably would go away when you fit new tires.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t4926-worrying-wobble?highlight=wobble#46293

oh yeah I see what you mean, mine has always wobbled a little bit at low speeds if I am not holding the handlebars fairly tight, but so do my Chinese scooters so I think that's normal tire surface imperfections coming up to the handlebars.
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 am

I am with GHM-PM on this one. In the past I had a rear tire that was bad. Slow speed wooble that I could feel through the handlebars. Very unsafe feeling. J.R.

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 am

I was going up to speed 50 mph when I realised the zippers on my wrist were open and I let go the bars to fix. I was fine till I slowed down to 35 mph then got into a seareous wobel. I won't do that again. affraid
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Had a front tire delamination cause this issue once. Elevate the front tire and spin and see if the tread moves back and forth. It was obviously "wobbling".
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 6:36 pm

I will decelerate on the exit ramp from the interstate at about 90 mph,
I sometimes ride with no hands during this event.
as I approach 30 mph the front end wobbles, but pretty much only around that speed or slower.
The SilverWing has a natural tendancy do be this way.
It is less with a new tire and gets more as the tire wears.
If I simply touch the handlebars the wobble stops.
There is nothing wrong or dangerous, this is just the way the SilverWing behaves.

Harry
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 am

There is just something funny about a heading in"Latest Topics"

"Wobbly front end by Old Sloppy"

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Wobbly front end 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
There is just something funny about a heading in"Latest Topics"

"Wobbly front end by Old Sloppy"

cheers cheers cheers
From a man down under.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 11:00 am

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't believe anything I'd call a wobble is normal in a Silverwing (or any other bike - my wife and I also own a pair of 250cc Chineese scoots, and they don't have a wobble either). But it's hard to tell since the OP didn't give enough details. A wobble may be warning you about critical maintenance that left ignored will kill you.

Starship: What's "low speed?" (km/h or mph)? Does the problem go away at higher speeds? Is the force in line with the forks? Does it do this while sitting still, if you move around on the bike? Does it shake the bars (and in what direction)? Is it just when you've got an unbalanced bike (I.E. riding down the roads not holding the bars, in which case it's pretty easy to get into a "pilot induced oscillation" with the bike unknowingly)?

I'd recommend having someone look at it if you have *any* doubts at all - lose steering head bearings or loose wheel bearings can kill you, and they can do it very quickly and suddenly. My wife's '07 Silverwing had a loose steering head bearing which caused a pretty significant shake at speed. One thing we learned from that experience is that you need to pretty much ignore the service manual's torque value to torque the head bearing properly - you can easily end up with a loose steering head following their procedure. Instead, follow the service manual inspection procedure (NOT just shaking the forks - that simply won't detect this in many cases) where you put a fish scale or similar on one fork and see how much force is required to turn the forks/bars/wheel/etc. Adjust so that value is proper (my wife's was extremely loose - took almost no force to do this). Too tight (within reason) is better than too loose. She only had 1200 miles on her scooter when we fixed this (I suspect there's a reason Honda says to inspect this at 600 miles after new vs. other stuff that they don't suggest you touch for much longer).

Likewise I'd inspect anything else in the rolling chassis that you can - axles, wheel bearings, fork clamps, engine mounts, swingarm, suspension elements, etc. I'd also highly recommend you find a different Silverwing to take for a ride to confirm whether or not this is normal, if you're thinking you just might be being hypersensitive to a normal bike behavior.

That said, the front end of these bikes does have a soft suspension that compresses relatively easily. But I still wouldn't call its' action a wobble by any means - it's simply a softish suspension.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 4:41 pm

tinman wrote:
I was going up to speed 50 mph when I realised the zippers on my wrist were open and I let go the bars to fix. I was fine till I slowed down to 35 mph then got into a seareous wobel. I won't do that again. affraid

Dude, that must have been some very "SERIOUS WOBBLE" Laughing.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 5:27 pm

I have let the steering go on other motorcycle but I had the cruise lock on. The Swing is very sensitive . Shocked
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 pm

The Swing rides really nice and smooth and quiet.
I have noticed a slight lean is required to make the bike go strait.
this is on a slight downhill slope at 20 mph riding with no hands.
totaly normal and most folks will Never notice.

Harry
Back to top Go down
Pindar
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2022-04-08

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 11:06 am

I am Not sure what you mean by wobble but mine soft and hard steering At low speed makes mine wobble ....something I've gotten used to ....riding otherwise is fine
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-20

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 2:37 pm

Pindar wrote:
I am Not sure what you mean by wobble but mine soft and hard steering At low speed makes mine wobble ....something I've gotten used to ....riding otherwise is fine

Nice necro revive to a 10 year old thread. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wobbly front end Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wobbly front end   Wobbly front end I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wobbly front end
Page 1 of 1