Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front Tie Down Location

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Front Tie Down Location Empty
PostSubject: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 6:35 pm

I've never had a reason to move our SilverWings on a trailer or in a truck. But, recently I helped a friend who had trailered his and had a sticking throttle after he got the bike home. He had looped his soft hand straps over the grips and the resulting pulling action had caused the throttle grip to slide outboard. This caused the throttle to stick while open and the throttle would not close on its own.

I believe that a set of Canyon Dancers http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/18/179/13223/ITEM/Canyon-Dancer-Bar-Harness-II.aspx would have prevented the slip of the throttle grip. But, I've also heard of some handle bars being bent as a result of the tension used to hold the bike securely. There is really no reason to use this much force, but it happens. The bike should have some rebound left in the front suspension, it should not be bottomed out.

The best location to tie down in my opinion is the large piece of cast metal that serves as the fork tube clamp (figure 1).

Front Tie Down Location Tie_down_01

See the soft hands looped around the structure in figure 2. Take care not to trap the brake lines inside the loop.

Front Tie Down Location Tie_down_02

And last a close up of one of the loops.

Front Tie Down Location Tie_down_03
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
See the soft hands looped around the structure in figure 2. Take care not to trap the brake lines inside the loop.

Front Tie Down Location Tie_down_02

I cannot believe how many times I have heard that someone bent their handlebars on the SWing.

Excellent advise and great pictures

One more thing, some people try to use the thin loop near the bottom of the panel in the back to strap the SWing down. Do not use the think loop it was designed solely for position in the original shipping crate. I have seen the thin loop break from attaching the soft straps to it. Attach the straps to the aluminum wing passenger hand grab which is more than strong enough.

I carry five soft straps with 4,500 lbs strength tightly rapped and held together with zip-ties in the left glove compartment stacked all the way on the very bottom. The five straps for

- 2 Front fastening in the exact location you have shown
- 2 Rear fastening for rear aluminum wing rail
- 1 To wrap on the front or rear wheel to prevent forward/backward movement

If I ever need to be towed, then I will use these soft-ties to fasten to the SWing. They can then attach their metal hooks to soft-tie loops.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 5:59 am

When I initially composed this I did not recall that my bike had been on a trailer. Actually it was a Roll On-Roll Off transport.

Front Tie Down Location 08091210

When the ro-ro operator arrived he had a box full of these magical little double looped web straps. The length of the straps meant that there was a good bit of "tail" left over and that tail is what you see wrapped around the hand grips.

His solution for the rear was even simpler. The device at the front made this particular rear tie-down strategy possible.

Front Tie Down Location 08091211
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 1:41 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
When I initially composed this I did not recall that my bike had been on a trailer. Actually it was a Roll On-Roll Off transport.

After waiting for hours When my tow truck showed up, I asked if he had any soft tie-downs or any special gear for a motorcycle .. .he said no. He said he never had any problems with "motorcycles" before. I then said so you think you are going to fasten the SWing down with metal chain and ratchet down until it does move ... his answer was YUP. He was also planning on fastening at the handlebar ... which I knew would bend them.

I refused his service.

Which is why I carry my own now ... now I no longer depending on the towing service.

The metal chain may be fine for "motorcycles" but not one with a lot of tupperware.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 7:14 pm

And that's why I called the folks at the Honda Riders Club of America and asked them to recommend a tow service that was familiar with motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:42 am

Looking at the spot where you have your straps and wondering if it would work to hook into the hole in the center, I have straps but they have hooks which would catch in the center hole,
Craig
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 12:56 pm

That hole which you can see in the center is not accessible from the top as it is filled with - steering stem (see the attached image captured from the parts manual).

Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks, I thought that there was a rectangular hole in front but on closer examination I see it is a blind hole. looks like a trip to Tractor supply or Harbor Freight is in order to get the proper straps. Don't need them right but like to be prepared in advance.
Thanks
Craig
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Front Tie Down Location 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2015 12:24 pm

"Oldie" but "goodie" information on attaching tow straps. Hope this helps. It's got pictures. cheers
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 11:21 pm

That's where I attached the straps on the SW as well. The only difference is I use 'soft straps' that I made out of Sampson Yacht Braid. Mainly because I had some and know how to bend an eye in double braid rope from my years sailing. That's an excellent tie down point on the front of the bike, that's a very solid point on the forks and tying down to that point will keep the fork straight ahead as well as pulling the bike down on its springs a bit.
When loading bikes on a trailer or truck I park the bike with the front wheel against the front wall of the truck bed or trailer with the side stand down. I attach the front and rear tie downs to the left side of the bike first, just snug. Then attach the right side straps and pull the bike upright off the stand with the right side straps. This way it's easy to do it without help and the bike ends up vertical with just about the right amount of suspension compression.

Most tow truck drivers really don't know all that much about securing a bike. Also the truck with such a light load 500lbs instead of 4000lbs will ride hard. I've seen one bike with a badly bent side stand because the driver tied it down while the bike was on the side stand. I hate to think what would have been damaged had the bike been on the center stand. Especially if it had come off the center stand while on the truck. If you have to call a wrecker be sure you watch carefully what the driver does. I'd also take a picture of the bike prior to the truck getting underway in case you have damage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Tie Down Location   Front Tie Down Location I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Tie Down Location
Page 1 of 1