Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:39 am

» Drive belt prices
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Belt and pin change

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Belt and pin change Empty
PostSubject: Belt and pin change   Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Not sure I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes anyway.

I've had my 2002 SWing for about a year and a half now. It had 21K miles on it when I bought it and now has about 27K. I bought it used from a local dealer, who gave me the maintenance records for the bike. Turns out it had one previous owner and he was pretty meticulous about maintaining it.

I have a record that the PO changed the CVT belt at 19K. About 500 miles after I bought the bike, the V light went on. I consulted the manual and switched it off, but it went back on. Done that several times, same result. Previous research here suggests that the V light stays on when non-standard variator pins are installed. I do not know if that is the case here, but I've decided to change out the belt and pins in preparation for a long trip into the Northwest I'll be taking in August or September. I believe I can do the change out without much problem (THANK YOU FOR THE PICTORIAL, JEFFR!!), but I have several questions:

1. I'd like to keep the RPMs down a bit at freeway speeds, as I'll be running interstate for at least part of the trip. Which variator pins, stock or aftermarket, are best for that? Which weights?

2. The local Honda dealer way overcharges for parts, as I found out when I replaced the air filter. Where can I find the stock OEM belt and pins for a reasonable price online? Where is a good source for the aftermarket pins?

Thanks in advance for your wise responses. I apologize if I misposted in this folder...
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Belt and pin change   Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 12:40 pm

If you'll choose aftermarket pins like Dr pulley for instance your V light will be more often ON than with the OEMs.No explanation for that but nothing to worry about.OEM V Belt lasts much much more than manufacturer suggests,Almost twice as much(round 30 kmiles in average, depending of your riding behavior).You can choose Dr Pulleys 28 gr sliders.Compared with OEMs you will see lower rpms at traveling speeds higher than 60 miles,and higher rpms than the OEMs at sudden throttle openings and at take offs.Your top speed will be unlimited because with those sliders its impossible to reach the rpm limiter.Hope I helped
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Belt and pin change   Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Hey Bob,

Glad the pictorial helped you out. I don't use my J. Costa anymore and I never heard of different size pins. I always bought mine from scootertrap.com which closed and they were the same as the stock pins. Did you turn the key off, and then hold down both buttons, and while holding both buttons down turn the key on but keep holding the buttons? The lights will flick on and off and then reset.

I noticed if I was coming onto the highway while going up a steeper hill that my belt light would come on. I would just say try not to give it WOT or too much throttle when starting off this way or going up a steep hill. I think it just revs it to higher rpm's and then the light goes on. It doesn't really mean anything really as long as you know the belt is good and variator is in good shape. But it is distracting when it comes on though.

Have fun on your trip and take some pics for us.
Back to top Go down
Papa Ritch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Papa Ritch

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Belt and pin change   Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 pm

http://www.hbhonda.com/fiche_select.asp

Try this place for discount parts. I have use them for a few years. Good luck. Ritch
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Belt and pin change   Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi guys...thanks for the info...HB Honda looks like a good parts source...didn't see the belt or pins listed, but can probably call.

Jeff, I did exactly as you described (and as the service manual describes)...the light stays off for a short time, then comes back on. Ordinarily, I wouldn't care, but the evidence I have of the previous change is a written note...the PO was meticulous about maintenance, so I believe he changed the belt, as noted, but don't know about the pins, so if I'm going in that far, I might as well do the whole shootin' match and then I'll know for sure...

Now all I have to do is get some time away from work so I can get started...

Back to top Go down
Papa Ritch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Papa Ritch

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Belt and pin change   Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Jinglebob wrote:
Hi guys...thanks for the info...HB Honda looks like a good parts source...didn't see the belt or pins listed, but can probably call.

Look under "Driven Face" for Belt & pins Ritch
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Belt and pin change   Belt and pin change I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks Ritch!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt and pin change   Belt and pin change I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belt and pin change
Page 1 of 1