Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

V Belt change.

Go down 
+3
masscoot
Opalsboy
JamieB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi all,

Posted a thread a couple of days ago reference v belt light on dashboard at 16000 miles.

Just done some digging in the service history supplied with my bike and noticed that the belt was changed in 2008.

Does this mean mine is ok ?
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:07 pm

What is the mileage on you scoot? That light is programmed to come on at 16,000 mile intervals. There are other factors that you will read about here, like the variator weights and acceleration. BUT, if someone replaced the belt before 16,000 miles in 08 and you just reached that mileage, it would come on. Same thing happens at each 16,000 interval. Life of belt is not a drop dead number, just a suggested service interval. Best to change at that interval. Hope this helps

Probably a stupid question, but is your odometer in KM or Miles? You can do the conversion from miles to KM if that is the unit for UK scoots.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi,

Mileage is 16500 miles, are there other things that could cause it to come on or is it just saying it is due for a change?

Many thanks,

Jamie.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Jamie.. yes and yes. As I said, the 16000 value is just a recommended mileage. Do you know the mileage in 08 that the belt was changed on? I will let some of the real experts explain the clutching effect on belt with the non stock variator weights. Apparently that does cause some scoots to light up. But it seems that the 16,500 miles on your odometer triggered yours. But if yours had 14,000 miles or whatever less than 16,000 in 08, it would light up now at the programmed value.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi,

Thankyou for your information.

Mileage at belt change was just under 14000 miles.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 9:29 pm

I'll agree here with Gary and in your case you just need a "V" light reset. Ignition off, push both buttons in, turn on ignition, light will flash and go out.

Some of us have modified the CVT by replacing the "rollers" with sliders. Same physics involved, different weighted rollers/slider will enable quicker take-offs (higher rpms) or lower rpms at the higher speeds. One of the quirks is using sliders is they will cause the v light will come on after some sprited riding. For more info search for Dr Pulley sliders and or JCosta variator. Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ken261
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-02-28

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi, new to the forum but have been riding a Swing for a couple years now.
I may have issues with this pre-programmed timing of the V-light.
I bought mine with 25k miles on it. I now have 37k and the V-light never came on. I know the light works since it comes on briefly when I start up.
I, unfortunately, am horrible at maintenance schedules and such so I didn't really look into the things required for the Swing. So, of course, I had the belt snap this afternoon on the highway riding home. I eventually got home safe, so no harm there.
This is the first bike I've had with a belt, so I didn't think too much about it before. Well, now I know that I can't rely on that little light to help me at all.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Ken
Welcome to the best Silver Wing site on the web. V Belt change. 393798 Do you know if the belt was changed at 16,000 ? My S/Wing has over 22,000 on it and the light has never came on.Like yours my light comes on briefly when I start up.I to know that I can't rely on that light to help.If that is the worst thing that ever happens to my S/Wing I'll be happy. cheers I think it's the best scooter out there,I know I like mine a lot.I've had a Burgman 400,a Q-Link Commuter-250 and I have a Yamaha- Morphous and the S/Wing is by far the best.
Back to top Go down
ken261
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-02-28

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:38 pm

The dealer I bought it from did not have any service records from the original owner, so I don't know what was / was not done. If this is the worst I get, I'll be happy. I've got a few other minor bugs I'm looking into as well, but they don't seem critical.

My wife and I both enjoy the Silverwing immensely. Longer rides are much more comfortable for us (spent 4 hours on it just a couple weeks ago).
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Ken,

I don't really keep records myself but keep it in my head for all the maintenance. But I generally do maintenance slightly before the manual says to do it. When I change my belt I know it could go another 5-6,000 miles but I just never gamble anymore. Same with the tires..I could get another 2,000 miles if I wanted.

But it sounds like all is well since you have 37,000 miles on it now. These things really don't go bad at all. They seem to run forever or get T-boned at intersections.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Sponsored content

V Belt change. Empty
PostSubject: Re: V Belt change.   V Belt change. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

V Belt change.
Page 1 of 1