Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil change grumbling

Go down 
+4
GHM-PM
rjdoles
JeffR_
realbtl
8 posters
AuthorMessage
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-12-19

Oil change grumbling Empty
PostSubject: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm getting ready for a 3 day 900 mile trip down through Idaho on Thursday (weather permitting) so I decided to do an oil & filter change. Thanks Jeff for the tutorials.
But...
1. Why does Honda specify oil capacity in liters and then sell oil in quarts?
2. Why do they say to warm up the bike and then put the oil drain plug right next to the (now HOT) exhaust?

Gripe gripe piss moan.

Now that I've got that out of my system things went smoothly. Only scare was the small puddle of oil on the ground I noticed after I had finished and cleaned up. Turned out to be drips of old oil that I had missed when I wiped down the bike. Whew.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Glad the Pictorial helped and hope you get great weather to ride in. The oil you saw was probably from that small part of the frame that the oil hits when the 'tappit' falls out, after you loosen it all the way. I tried to come up with something, like 1/2 a funnel, to keep the oil from hitting this small piece but thought it wasn't worth the trouble. I'm not sure why Honda put it there, but i'm sure there is some reason. Whether it makes sense or not.

I would think that since we get our oil in quarts that is the reason why. I kind of wish we would just make the move to the metric system since it is easier and based on "base 10". When I took come chemistry classes it seemd to all make sense. Have a great time on your ride and maybe write up a review of your trip.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Honda sells these scooters all over the world. The majority of those countries use liters, kilometers and kilograms. I guess Honda could take the time to make the units match in the manual for the U.S. scooters but we manage to figure it out.

Ride safe!

Stock photo of Silverwing. I will replace with a pic of my scoot when I get it back together.
Oil change grumbling Silverwing
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Yes and one note from my 2012. All the above say to use 2.2 qts. or so with a filter change. My first oil change I did this and it was low, so I kept adding until I was satisfied. Kept track of the adds so on 2nd oil change I replaced the filter again and filled with 2 quarts and 1/2 (8 ozs) of oil. This time the level was perfect! Not sure if they changed something or my bike just likes more oil!!!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Oil change grumbling 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 am

Glenn, when you check the oil, are you screwing the dipstick all the way in?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 7:29 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
Glenn, when you check the oil, are you screwing the dipstick all the way in?

Negative. I just set the dipstick in the opening. This is what the book suggests and the way all my other Honda's have always been. pirat
Back to top Go down
PatrickDoss
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 am

GHM-PM wrote:
Yes and one note from my 2012. All the above say to use 2.2 qts. or so with a filter change. My first oil change I did this and it was low, so I kept adding until I was satisfied. Kept track of the adds so on 2nd oil change I replaced the filter again and filled with 2 quarts and 1/2 (8 ozs) of oil. This time the level was perfect! Not sure if they changed something or my bike just likes more oil!!!

A quart is 32ozs. Eight ounces is not a half-quart. Wink
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am

PatrickDoss wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:

A quart is 32ozs. Eight ounces is not a half-quart. Wink

D'oh, good point! I stand corrected so lets make it 2 quarts PLUS 16 ounces! Haha it is heck to get old...
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 am

And the English system we still use in our behind-the-times country is way too confusing and a waste of time to continue using. We are now the ONLY country using this antiquated system and it's embarrasing.
Sorry, enough already...
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 5:06 pm

GHM-PM wrote:

Haha it is heck to get old...
Getting old sure beats the alternative. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil change grumbling   Oil change grumbling I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil change grumbling
Page 1 of 1