Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 11:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 11:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 9:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 9:05 am

» Drive belt prices
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Permanent oil filter

Go down 
+6
Dimond
rollsroyce250
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
DickO
cotetoi
10 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Permanent oil filter Empty
PostSubject: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi guys and gals, Any thoughts or personal experiences using a reusable stainless steel oil filter in the Swing. I was browsing thru Ebay and saw the item for sale for about $100.00. It sounds like a great idea, but I'm not experienced enough to judge this for myself. I can see some potential savings in the lifetime of the Swing; but I could easily be overlooking something in the equation. Your thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi "cotetoi",
And welcome to the forum (since I know I haven't been very good at formally greeting folks recently). Anyway, you need to do a search on this site and see the zillion + 1 comments that have been made on this subject. I'm not the expert here but basically the ease of maintenance when using throw away filters (the brand of your choice) far outweighs the use of anything more permanent that would require cleaning. Just my two cents worth but, seriously, check out the search function items. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Use cheap throw away filters---even if you ride 50,000 miles a year, still cheap, changing oil filters every other oil change.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 12:49 am

Thanks, guys. I did the search thing ( should have, to begin with) and found the article on filters and specifically the permanent stainless steel ones. Great info: disposable filters are the way to go. I have used WIX on my shadow, and will see if there is one for the Swing.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 12:54 am

Seems to me that if you've got a hundred dollar bill burning a hole in your pocket there are better things to spend it on than a stainless steel filter --no matter how "permanent" the element might be. Like maybe a Service Manual, an extra set of brake pads, a set Dr Pulley variator slider weights, nor an aftermarket windscreen.
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 am

Kind of funny you guys are knocking stainless steel oil filters as being junk.
FYI, stainless steel cleanable oil filters are used in RollsRoyce 250 gas turbine engines, found in most smaller helicopters from the late 50's to present.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 5:42 am

Hi "RR250",
Not knocking anything, especially jet engine oil filters. It's just that the Silver Wing engine doesn't require a filter that critical; nor that specialized. But anyway, I know what you're talking about; changed jet engine filters very regularly for 20 years. Smile 
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 1:41 pm

DickO wrote:
 It's just that the Silver Wing engine doesn't require a filter that critical; nor that specialized.  
That's a given.
As I stated, these guys were calling all stainless steel oil filters junk. Not all stainless steel oil filters are junk.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 pm

SS filter - interesting! I doubt many of us ride enough to make this investment pay off - so, is there some other reason to buy one?

john grinsel wrote:
..... changing oil filters every other oil change.
John - Are you saying that you change your oil filter every 16,000 miles? How is that working out for you. Do you use synthetic oil - or what brand do you use?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Dimond wrote:
SS filter - interesting!  I doubt many of us ride enough to make this investment pay off - so, is there some other reason to buy one?

john grinsel wrote:
..... changing oil filters every other oil change.
John - Are you saying that you change your oil filter every 16,000 miles? How is that working out for you.  Do you use synthetic oil - or what brand do you use?
FWIW I've got 80000 miles on my '03 and have changed the filter everyother time. I have also used Mobil 1 full synthetic oil from day-one as well.

In this I agree with Prof Grinsel.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 9:16 pm

to clarify----I change filters every other oil change---I change oil every 2,000 miles or 60 days----only WalMart house brand 10-40-----worked for me for the last 500,000 2 wheel miles. Recent bikes=56,000 miles on Concours when traded,highest Helix 50,000 miles at trade time----my Burgman 400 turned 31,000 miles today----wouldn't even think of long intervals or overpriced oil-----you should see what comes out of crankcase at 2,000---all my bikes are purchased new----WalMart oil worked good in new Miata, too.
Back to top Go down
mike712
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Had oil & filter changed at the dealer yesterday. 700 miles. $35.00 for oil & filter, $75.00 labor. I think I will try it myself the next time.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Permanent oil filter 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 10:25 pm

mike712 wrote:
Had oil & filter changed at the dealer yesterday. 700 miles. $35.00 for oil & filter, $75.00 labor.  I think I will try it myself the next time.
 There are excellent pictorials and advice to help you. Be sure to get the 6 point socket to prevent rounding off the tappit. I picked one up at Auto Zone.  $110.00 for an oil change is ridiculous and should be considered robbery.  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Yo wrote:
mike712 wrote:
Had oil & filter changed at the dealer yesterday. 700 miles. $35.00 for oil & filter, $75.00 labor.  I think I will try it myself the next time.
 $110.00 for an oil change is ridiculous and should be considered robbery.  Evil or Very Mad
Especially when I pay 150.00 for my diesel truck that takes a whole lot more oil too.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Oil change   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2013 1:02 am

I believe that there is a conspiracy by the oil company's, going on, as far as changing your oil every 6 months or 3000 miles. Except for the first oil change.

In my Toyota truck and all of my cars that I have owned since I graduated from collage with a degree in mechanics and now in my S/W I change at 4000 and replace the filter at the same time.
It only cost me about $ 25.00 for the S/W and $ 35.00 for my truck.
Always using synthetic oil.

My truck has 150,000 and looks and drives like new.
This works for me, and is so easy to do, why would anyone pay to have it done? study 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Permanent oil filter   Permanent oil filter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Permanent oil filter
Page 1 of 1