Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!

Go down 
+2
OldRacer67
moosedaisy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!    Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:16 pm

I've done some research on this site and I saw a few threads on this subject, but they were mostly on 400 burgs vs the wing. I'm mainly looking at the 650 burg vs the wing. I've been on the Burg forum and asked why I'd chose a Burg over a wing, and now I thought I'd ask here.

I'll tell you a little about my self and riding style.

I just sold a vstrom 650 this week. So both the burg and wing will feel light compared to that. So I think it's a wash between the two.

I ride 2 up 90% of the time so passenger comfort is very important. My passenger is also very small and 4'11".

I'm a pretty big guy at 280...I'm in the process of losing weight but that's what I'm dealing with for now. My passenger is around 130.

80% of my riding is in the city, running errands, goign to the beach, that sort of thing. We only use our cars when we can't use the bike.

We like to go on longer day trips. Every few months we will have an 8 hour day in the saddle.

I do all my own repairs. So a bike that is easy to work on is a plus.

So I'm hoping with this information. You can give me your opinons as to why the Wing would be a better choice than the Burgman. And please be biased! You scooter people seem so nice that no one wants to say a bad thing about the other bike!
Back to top Go down
OldRacer67
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
OldRacer67

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!    Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi Moosedaisy,
I had a 650 Burgman for a couple years, 2009 & 2010. I now have a 2010 600 Silver wing and a 400 Burgman for my wife so I am very familiar with them.
The 650 Burgman Pros: Very fast for a scooter(much faster & more torque than the 600)
650 Con: extremely poor front suspension, and it is heavy.
600 Silver Wing: Pro: Smaller, lighter Adequate power, better suspension.
600 con. Less power.
I personally now prefer the 600 Silver Wing, but I ride 1 up and weigh about 230. Mostly because of the weight and better ride of the Silver Wing.
However, My guess is under your circumstances you would prefer the Burgman 650 given 2 up riding 90% of the time and the extra power. That is if you can stand the front suspension.
I personally went through all the modifications known to man on the front end. I even put a dirt bike front end on eventually. It was ok then.
Upon first riding the 650 Burgman It handles just Great. My problem was that the front end was too harsh and would bottom out until I modified it.
Hope this helps some. Let me know if I can help further.
Oldracer67
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!    Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 7:00 am

Having had new SilverWing, on 2nd Burgman 400, test rode and thought about 650 Burgman----I'd probably buy SilverWing, as in US Honda parts service is pretty good, more dealers, SilverWing is also simplier in drive line dept.-----Both SilverWing and Burgman 650 are over weight. But Burgman 650 Executive has electric adjustable windshield which is plus plus. Then since you are big, ride 2 up, check carrying capacity fo both bikes, which ever one can haul the most could be deciding factor.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!    Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 7:56 am

Well, after 9 years & almost 70K miles I'd categorically state that the Silverwing is simple to work on. I've never had to take mine to a dealer for service, but I've done several 'big' jobs (stator, clutch, clutch bell, engine & trans seals) on my own -in my driveway with a few basic tools.

Those 'big' jobs were mostly necessitated by something I've done, or failed to do, or chosen to do, rather than an inherent problem with Honda parts or design.

You can pretty much consider the Silverwing as bulletproof.

When it's time to replace tires I pull the wheels and take them along with the internet-sourced tires to a local independent shop to have them mounted & balanced.

Buy the Service Manual.

OTOH the Burgy is a great scoot & great ride but is complex to work on and has a history of transmission gear train failures --to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Tim
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!    Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:35 am

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4809-high-milage-sw-rider-in-accident#44532

The Silverwing has 295,000 miles with very little maintenance ... which is exactly why I bought (and expected) from the Honda Silverwing.

I ride two up ~65% of the times, with more weight then you documented without even counting gear, school books, sports gear etc. The Silverwing has more than enough power for the weight.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!    Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:56 am

Having had a big Burgman for a couple of years I'd say the only thing that's better than the Silver Wing is the under seat storage. The Burgman is a pig to clean too, the back end is a dirt trap and the rear wheel is difficult to turn and attracts brake dust like a magnet. The front wheel is also hard to move when cleaning, and if you're not wearing gloves you can cut your hands on the sharp edges of the ABS ring.

It's also a lardass and I often wondered how some of the older retired Grinners managed with the weight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!    Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing or Burgman 650....not again!
Page 1 of 1