Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

High Milage SW Rider in Accident

Go down 
+11
sharker
"Hi Yo"
cjuzda
surlybiker58
marsman
Ghost_rider
pancho
larryinseattle
Waspie
honda_silver
ulflyer
15 posters
AuthorMessage
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

High Milage SW Rider in Accident Empty
PostSubject: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 7:48 pm

The gent in question has been mentioned here by a couple of us when the subject of high milage comes up. Rex is in his upper 60's and rides his 04 SW constantly.
As of last week he had 296,000 miles on it with minimun repairs or replacements. Two or three belts, provided free by his dealer when low time riders insisted their belt be replaced, a rear wheel bearing, and the usual tires, etc. Nothing major ever done to engine. I think he said the valves were checked at about 100K and were in spec.
Rex had every intention of making it well over 300,000 until a truck turned left in front of him so fast he didn't have time to hit the brakes. Rex suffered 8 broken ribs, possible tissue damage around the heart, broken wrist, several broken fingers, damage to his knees and many many scrapes, rilps, and bruises.

The SW is totaled.

A course being funded and taught by NC Patrolmen and City officers stresses that MOST motorcycle accidents occur exactly like the above: vehicle turning left in front of the cycle. Folks, learn to keep you eyes moving and watch the oncoming cars.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:12 pm

ulflyer wrote:
As of last week he had 296,000 miles on it with minimun repairs or replacements. Two or three belts, provided free by his dealer when low time riders insisted their belt be replaced, a rear wheel bearing, and the usual tires, etc. Nothing major ever done to engine. I think he said the valves were checked at about 100K and were in spec.

I believe that is the highest number of miles.

ulflyer wrote:
until a truck turned left in front of him so fast he didn't have time to hit the brakes. Rex suffered 8 broken ribs, possible tissue damage around the heart, broken wrist, several broken fingers, damage to his knees and many many scrapes, rilps, and bruises.

I pray Rex heals quickly.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 5:08 am

Devastated for your friend Rex and his beloved 'Wing'.

The 'Wing' can be replaced. Hope Rex has a swift and pain free recovery.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 6:23 am

I wish Rex a speedy recovery and many more smiles to the miles.
Back to top Go down
pancho
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
pancho

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 8:36 am

God Speed...... cheers
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 12:23 pm

OUCH
son of a binch why don't people LOOK before they pull out of a parking
lot or side street?? This does REALLY piss me off cu i know how Rex
feels i have had PLENTY of a holes pull right out in front of mne as well.
Tell Rex that we are ALL praying for his full recovery. GET WELL SOON
REX

I have had several close call in the 28 years of riding scooters. BUT the one
i wil never firget is when this person puled out from a parking lot without
LOOKING. I was on a honda elite 150 cc scooter back then. Well the car
pulled out in front of without looking and the only thing i could do was
say oh crap.. I ended up in the windshield. I do not remember if i had
broke any bones. BUT IF i was NOT wearing a helmit half shell i would have been dead. Since i was wearing that plus i had a baseball cap on
as well so the sun was NOT in my eyes. The cap saves me from going blind
cuz i did NOT have any glass in my eyes thank GOD.

REX recover from your wounds. We all know you can do it
Ghost rider Greg
Houston ttx. usa
Back to top Go down
marsman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-02-19

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 7:05 pm

New to forum, ouch is right... and kudos to Rex for the high miles, guy lives it.... Put about 120 miles on the 2007 I just bought today, really first ride. I have ridden a while and had at least 20 bikes..... and each time out, even today, on a 2 lane road...a car turning left in front of me..I watched the driver, watched the car, watched the front tires, wheels... had high beams on, Hi Vis green vest... and still, if that car would have turned left, there would have been nothing I could do.

Rex, get well my friend.

Marsman
Mars Pa
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 7:29 pm

I can count on at least one idiot to pull out in front of me every time
I ride into work
Happened last Friday,I was travelling down the highway at 55 mph , driver totally oblivious with a cell phone to her ear turned out into my lane
Had to hit the brakes hard, but luckily was able to avoid hitting her rear bumper

Hope Rex recovers swiftly and the judge throws the book at the numskull that caused the accident
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 1:21 pm

WE need to make us MORE aware either by socail networks or by ads
or anything else. Something has to be done with these people NOT
looking for us on 2 wheels AND Laws ned to be changed and inforced.
That you can NOT use a cell ph. or other device while driving. UNLESS
it is a totally hands free cell ph..Does anyone know how Rex is doing
now. WE are ALL praying for a fellow biker.
Ghost rider Greg
Houston tx. usa
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 6:31 pm

Ghost_rider wrote:
WE need to make us MORE aware either by socail networks or by ads
or anything else. Something has to be done with these people NOT
looking for us on 2 wheels AND Laws ned to be changed and inforced.
That you can NOT use a cell ph. or other device while driving. UNLESS
it is a totally hands free cell ph..Does anyone know how Rex is doing
now. WE are ALL praying for a fellow biker.
Ghost rider Greg
Houston tx. usa

mobile device law here is a joke. Fine is $150 and since it's been implemented I have seen pretty much zero decrease in phone use. It's pretty difficult for the cops to catch people and regardless, at only $150, most people seem to be ok with getting caught. Fine should be $1000! - A few days ago there was a pretty good article on cops in the area catching people - they dressed up as homeless people carrying cardboard signs at stop lights - The signs said : If you're talking or texting on a cell phone and reading this, you're going to get a ticket! Laughing
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 7:10 am

Haven't heard from Rex this week but last sunday he was released from the hosp after a weeks stay. Left leg had some serious rips along with 5 broken ribs, broken left wrist, and lots of bruises and rash. He was doing pretty good, considering, and is staying with a daughter till he feels able to go home On a positive note, he was already talking about getting another SW!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
High Milage SW Rider in Accident 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 1:16 pm

ulflyer wrote:
Haven't heard from Rex this week but last sunday he was released from the hosp after a weeks stay. Left leg had some serious rips along with 5 broken ribs, broken left wrist, and lots of bruises and rash. He was doing pretty good, considering, and is staying with a daughter till he feels able to go home On a positive note, he was already talking about getting another SW!
cheers Good news. Thanks for the update. cheers
Back to top Go down
sharker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sharker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:27 am

We have this problem on the roads in North America because a "driving licence" is a farce and a fraud.
I have recently driven a Honda PCX scooter about 1000km in Sicily, Italy, Germany, Austria and France. They're fast and they're close but never in this time has anyone turned in front of me or come out in my path. Drivers in Europe have to pass a meaningful test and part of driving is learning to share the road. pox on NA. There are no driving rules and never will be any so stop bitchin' and scoot to save your own life. It's the wild bloody west. Every man for himself.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 8:21 am

sharker wrote:
We have this problem on the roads in North America because a "driving licence" is a farce and a fraud.
I have recently driven a Honda PCX scooter about 1000km in Sicily, Italy, Germany, Austria and France. They're fast and they're close but never in this time has anyone turned in front of me or come out in my path. Drivers in Europe have to pass a meaningful test and part of driving is learning to share the road. pox on NA. There are no driving rules and never will be any so stop bitchin' and scoot to save your own life. It's the wild bloody west. Every man for himself.

Couldn't agree more. As you know in Ontario, particularly Toronto, there were people getting licences in a manner that is completely bogus, bribes, etc.

I think this is compounded somewhat by the far fewer numbers of motorcycles and scooters on the road compared to Europe. Also, in Canada and norther U.S.A. the seasonal aspect plays a factor where for at least 4 months or more there are no scooters or motorcyles on the road and the average idiot motorists forgets such vehicles even exist.
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Hands free does NOT mean people are paying attention when they talk and drive!! Ever sit in your living room watching tv, the phone rings, you talk on the phone, what is going on with the tv show you were supposedly watching??? It is nearly impossible to concentrate on two things totally!! If you pay attention to what is on the tv, the person on the phone has to keep repeating what they are saying because you miss it, if you pay attention to who is on the phone, you miss the exciting part of the tv show!! Whether you are on speaker phone or holding the receiver to your ear .... IF YOU ARE DRIVING, YOU ARE NOT DRIVING A PHONE BOOTH ... PUT THE PHONE AWAY OR PULL OVER AND PARK IT TO TALK!!! SOMEONE'S LIFE MAY DEPEND ON IT!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 10:15 pm

That is why when I first bought my scooter I removed the front topper and had installed a head light modulator and later, two spot lights and two fog lights. Two lights on the bottom are blue.
I get more attention than a bull fighter in the ring.
Some people pull over all the time because they think I am a cop. Ha Ha I give them a nice thank you as I ride by. small moped
The modulator was only about $ 50.00 and labor 75.00 because I took in the part.
Best money ever spent. I get comments on my light all the time and they are legal here in California. Just in case I ever get pulled over I carry all the Ca. Hi-way codes with me.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:21 am

I will say it again in view of the discussion. . . Sorry it happened Rex.
One of the best safe gaurds you can have is get a good set of "driving lights" mounted on the front of your Swing. Dennis makes the mounting bracket and Wal Mart sells a good set of driving lights at about 20 U. S. dollars. People can see you coming. The Silverwing is not a very big profile.
Also if you are following cars in front of you, ride over next to the "line" to the left of the car in front of you. If you are to the right, they can't see you. . .Even then, be alert!
Rex, I am glad you are still planning to ride again.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 12:24 pm

jobo2mi wrote:
Hands free does NOT mean people are paying attention when they talk and drive!! Ever sit in your living room watching tv, the phone rings, you talk on the phone, what is going on with the tv show you were supposedly watching??? It is nearly impossible to concentrate on two things totally!! If you pay attention to what is on the tv, the person on the phone has to keep repeating what they are saying because you miss it, if you pay attention to who is on the phone, you miss the exciting part of the tv show!! Whether you are on speaker phone or holding the receiver to your ear .... IF YOU ARE DRIVING, YOU ARE NOT DRIVING A PHONE BOOTH ... PUT THE PHONE AWAY OR PULL OVER AND PARK IT TO TALK!!! SOMEONE'S LIFE MAY DEPEND ON IT!!!

Unfortunately while you are correct, people who use phones in cars will never stop doing it, they actually believe that it will not affect their driving. There have been enough studies done to prove your point but nobody's listening, it's too ingrained in our society so we just have to do what we can to protect ourselves - lights and Hi Vis clothing and helmets are probably the 2 best options to help in this regard. Depending on speed, in the city, I always try and make eye contact with a driver who is turning. This only works at low speeds however.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 4:11 pm

cjuzda wrote:
lights and Hi Vis clothing and helmets are probably the 2 best options to help in this regard.
That adds up to three using the math I learned in school. Razz
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 6:28 pm

model28a wrote:
cjuzda wrote:
lights and Hi Vis clothing and helmets are probably the 2 best options to help in this regard.
That adds up to three using the math I learned in school. Razz

Good one - just thought that "Hi Vis" only counted as one scratch
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm

1-Lights 2-Hi Vis 3-helmets Razz
I'm only pulling your chain, not meaning to offend. Smile
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 7:11 am

model28a wrote:
1-Lights 2-Hi Vis 3-helmets Razz
I'm only pulling your chain, not meaning to offend. Smile

Yeah I get it - but what you don't get is that since helmets are mandatory in almost all jurisdictions, mentioning helmets is redundant - if you don't wear one, you're an idiot. I meant wearing high vis helmets and high vis clothing i.e. being high vis which to my simple mind is 1 thing, not two. bounce

Next time I will be more specific.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High Milage SW Rider in Accident   High Milage SW Rider in Accident I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High Milage SW Rider in Accident
Page 1 of 1