Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Accident Statistics

Go down 
+2
oldwingguy
Delray
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Accident Statistics Empty
PostSubject: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2020 12:04 pm

I am fond of facts and figures.

Here are some sobering statistics to keep us all safer (so we can continue to adore alliteration ;o) ....

From the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) report for 2016 ....

(I made one of the facts bold for emphasis: NEVER assume a car turning in front of you sees you ... flash the brights, weave, wave, slow down as if to avoid a crash if you're not sure, etc.)

* 67% of motorcycle fatalities occured away from intersections

* 59% of motorcycle fatalities occured in daylight

* 97% of motorcycle fatalities occured in clear to cloudy conditions (2% occured in rain)

* 91% of motorcycle fatalities occured on non-interstate roads

* 72% of motorcycles in accidents were impacted from the front

* 41% of motorcycles in fatal accidents collided with a vehicle turning in front of them

* 23% of motorcycle fatalities involved colliding with a fixed object (tree, road sign, etc.)

* 33% of motorcycle fatalities involved speeding by the motorcycles

* The average age of a motorcyclist in a fatal accident is 43 (and trending older)

* 27% of motorcycle riders in fatal accidents were not properly licensed

* 32% of motorcycle riders in fatal accidents were alcohol-impaired (BAC of .08 or higher)

* 50% of motorcycle riders in fatal accidents were not wearing helmets

* Helmets are estimated to be 37-percent effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcycle riders. In other words, for every 100 motorcyclists killed in crashes while not wearing helmets, 37 could have been saved with helmets
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Yes a 41% er got me big time 1973 as a matter of fact everything from the start of the article down to the 41% applied and possibly alcohol related to boot.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 8:39 pm

Great stats Mike! BE AWARE of your surroundings! WEAR a helmet; even if not cool! I rode with several guys in the Legion Riders in Arizona and most of the HD riders did NOT wear a brain bucket, (not required in Arizona). Now I belong to a Chapter in NV (helmets required) and all riders had them on. Nice change in my book.

I liken a helmet to a seat belt in your car... It does not guarantee you won't be killed but it improves your odds. Note stats above.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2020-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 11:22 pm

Very interesting stats.
32% alcohol related fatalities....? That's shockingly high.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 pm

Don't you think that everyone on here is already well aware of the risks associated with motorcycle/maxi scooter riding, you don't need statistics. Yet in some US states you don't have to wear a helmet,  so pose value, freedom, or whatever excuse you care to use is valued over head protection.

It's pretty much the same mindset in warmer drier and humid states where no helmet, t shirts, vests, shorts, fingerless or no gloves, and sandals are normal riding wear. Yes, it may be hot and uncomfortable sweating even in lightweight gear, but at least you'll have all your skin and tissue in the event of a crash.

Group riding, well that's another thing all together, I'm not a fan of it and never have been. There's been posts on here and other forums that it's fine to go out and ride in the current climate for non essential reasons if you stay away from others. Because you could fall down the stairs at home, or one I read on Maggies's form, crack your head in the shower.

So getting together with any bunch of riders whatever their choice of headwear, then all going off your separate ways while Covid-19 is ravaging your country is criminally irresponsible. Whether or not you're lockdown

As for wearing helmets, it's like that old forum favourite open face v full face. Riders are always going to say full face hemets are safer aren't they, but when I read in my local news of any fatal motorcycle accident or collision, it's almost certain the rider was wearing a full face hemet not an open face.

Don't mind me I'm not having a rant, I'm a bit of an insomniac these days.

Stay Safe.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2020 12:00 am

"32% alcohol related fatalities....? That's shockingly high."

Based on your comment, I went back and looked at the data. 32% is accurate as far as "alcohol-related," but this puts a little finer point on it ....

25% of motorcycle fatalities in fatal accidents were alcohol-impaired (BAC of .08 or higher).

An additional 7% of fatalities were not .08 BAC or higher but were under the influence.

Thus, 32% had been drinking but 25% were what you might call "bombed."

Still, it's a high percentage.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2020 12:14 am

Thank you for the additional info.
I'm still very surprised but no wonder why insurance rates are so high.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2020 12:19 am

"no wonder why insurance rates are so high."

Are they high? (serious question)

I think they're a bargain, at least where I am.

I just got my renewal bill from Allstate. For one year, it's $137 for my '16 Burgman 650 and $110 for my 2008 Silver Wing, total $247 a year for two bikes. That includes collision, comprehensive, towing  and 24/7 roadside assistance.

In Florida, motorcycle insurance is not legally required. So maybe it's cheaper here because the companies figure at least they get SOME income if they write policies for lower-than-normal premiums.
Back to top Go down
rustysdream
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2020 1:10 am

Delray wrote:

In Florida, motorcycle insurance is not legally required. So maybe it's cheaper here because the companies figure at least they get SOME income if they write policies for lower-than-normal premiums.

Wow! I'm moving to Florida.  Laughing
I got quotes as high as CDN$2,600/year. So far, the best is CDN$1,100. It doesn't matter that I got my motorcycle license in 1972 and rode accident free for 15 years back then. Now, when I'm getting back to riding again, I'm being treated as a new and inexperienced rider by the insurance companies.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2020 4:02 am

Florida has a long history of laws that favor personal freedom ....

No helmet required.

No motorcycle insurance required.

No annual vehicle safety inspection (for cars and motorcycles).

There's also no personal income tax, and thus no annual state tax return.

Can't say I agree with all of them, but I sure have enjoyed all of them at times.

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Keep all that Florida good stuff quiet. Many are moving down there from high tax states and I don't blame them. Leaving NY. Calf. etc Cost of living, taxes and crime. I could say more.

Really $ 2600-1100 for insurance. Season is short up there 6 months at best.

Personal choices on gear are your discretion. Helmet is a NO BRAINer.

Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 5:17 am

"Keep all that Florida good stuff quiet. Many are moving down there from high tax states ... Leaving NY. Calf. etc Cost of living, taxes and crime."

According to the U.S. Census, Florida is #1 behind Texas for fastest growing population. Unfortunately, all those nice folks relocating here from New York and environs have brought along their high costs of living, crime, crowded streets, rudness, etc.

A lot of people move here expecting paradise. But unless you're wealthy enough to live next to the ocean or someplace similarly nice, South Florida can be very hot, crowded and expensive. I see lots of unhappy, angry faces in my travels.

On the plus side, it's always summer. The beaches are near. The ocean water is clean and you can't walk 300 yards without coming across a heated swimming pool. My favorite part? You can ride a motorcycle 365 days a year, barring the occasional CAT 5 hurricane, of course.

I am planning to escape the heat of summer this year for a month or so to my hometown of Rochester, New York. I will enjoy many rides along Lake Ontario and through the Finger Lakes. Beautiful country.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 8:41 am

A lot of people move here expecting paradise. But unless you're wealthy enough to live next to the ocean or someplace similarly nice, South Florida can be very hot, crowded and expensive. I see lots of unhappy, angry faces in my travels. Smile: you forgot the thrill of everyday NASCAR driving on I-95 )Smile
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 8:52 am

"you forgot the thrill of everyday NASCAR driving on I-95 )"

That's the truth. I won't go near I-95 on Saturday nights. That's when the speed bikes come out. I've been passed by sport bikes going well over 100 mph -- I'd be doing 75 mph and they'd whoosh by me like I was a little old lady on a Sunday drive, zooming across six lanes of traffic like it's one big racetrack created just for them. The cops gave up chasing them long ago because it's too dangerous for other drivers.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 10:32 am

Driving in the HOV lane at 10 to 20 mph OVER the speed limit and have someone tailgate you so they can go FASTER. I asked about this and was told the rule is move over for faster vehicles, the gent said they never say how fast fast is so MOVE OVER. Moves I've seen out there defy NASCAR ability Wink such as pitting AKA getting onto an off ramp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accident Statistics   Accident Statistics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Accident Statistics
Page 1 of 1