Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?

Go down 
+50
stbne
smellybeard
Ty1967
cello33
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
FrancoisJ
NWSSC
DJ Charles
Mudnman
Greysilver
ericclapham
ScooterBJ
Lugho
billc.
JoeMack
DaveR
Wing Commander
WingMan02
Colin B
Waspie
Old Limey
paul.delo451
Meldrew
tinman
RamblinRedhead
Winger61
AAAA
JeffR_
bigbird
surlybiker58
txtrkdrvr
tubeck
crahar
matthew
model28a
papa johns
DennisB
honda_silver
chieninhouston
skydad99
mr fish
mikbak
DickO
MikeH
The Scootist
Bernardo
skiwoods
dspevack
JeffR
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone,

It was brought to my attention that we don't have any sticky's on this forum. Someone has requested, and it is a very good request, to place a sticky so it will stay at the top of the "Topic". So I am putting this here to ask all the members about any serious issues with the Silver Wing.

I know that there were a couple of recalls/issues very early on but those have been resolved years ago. Do any of you know of issues concerning reliability, safety, or just issues with comfort? I don't what this to be a post where riders say "well the shield could be higher", or "I wish the seat was lower". But rather recall issues or serious trouble issues. I know with the '07 and later Burgman 400 they have had issues with the clutch, so that is the feedback I would like. I'm not denigrating the Burgman but just using it as an example. That is one of the newest bikes out and the new ones seem to have a problem or two, for the first couple of years.

So please come back with any serious issues that Honda just hasn't seemed to fix. Personally, I just can't remember any or know of any, but I do seem to remember they had a recall or two early on. I have only had the SWing for 2 years but after a lot of research I just don't think the SWing has been aflicted with any serious trouble.

Thanks,

JeffR
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
stbne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
stbne

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2022-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2024 6:38 am

Erdoc48 wrote:
WOW…97K miles? That’s great! Geez, I think I have 9700 on mine- I have to ride more.

yes sir..Thankyou...full disclossure.. I have only owned it since sept 2022..only 7000+ miles are mine...PO that I bought it from was the original owner and then other family members had it...It came with nearly complete and meticulously kept maint.history. Everything was timely and no majors issues or repairs have arisen in all that time and distance...Quite the testament to Honda's rock of reliability...My only complaint is the seat..It is the original foam which has long gone away from actually cushioning my azz..I have to remedy that if I want to ride more than an hour ...otherwise I am quite happy with it.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2024 3:49 pm

Provocative topic Jeff and I guess the Silverwing is now old enough to qualify in the historic bracket.

My SW is a 2001 model so it may provide a reference point. My SW is an early 2001 model which had been rather neglected by at least the previous owner. Over the years I've had to repair and replace lots of parts which probably weren't necessary had the bike been looked after.

As my SW is old and original, apart from YSS rear shocks, GiVi 214DT screen and wind deflectors, the only design or manufacturing faults for me have been:

Front suspension harshness; snaking on very high speed cornering; slight seat discomfort (old seat) and frequent glazing of the clutch shoes. Clutch and CVT cleaning has become part of my regular maintenance. I'm even using copper spark plugs!

I'm touching wood while I type this but, I can't think of any inherent problems in a machine which does what it was designed to do.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2024 6:53 pm

My 2001 SW had around 70,000km when I owned it. The faults that I corrected were the alternator (burnt out) and the alternator wire grommet through the stator cover had an oil leak. Neither is endemic to the SW, I'd expect those could easily occur on any bike of a similar age. The rest of my SW was mechanically and electrically sound, as I expect for a Honda product.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2024 12:41 pm

right now=old/out of production/dealers have little knowledge.....or never did.I had 2 new ones and have about 100,000 miles experience with them and they are heavy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3