Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?

Go down 
+50
stbne
smellybeard
Ty1967
cello33
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
FrancoisJ
NWSSC
DJ Charles
Mudnman
Greysilver
ericclapham
ScooterBJ
Lugho
billc.
JoeMack
DaveR
Wing Commander
WingMan02
Colin B
Waspie
Old Limey
paul.delo451
Meldrew
tinman
RamblinRedhead
Winger61
AAAA
JeffR_
bigbird
surlybiker58
txtrkdrvr
tubeck
crahar
matthew
model28a
papa johns
DennisB
honda_silver
chieninhouston
skydad99
mr fish
mikbak
DickO
MikeH
The Scootist
Bernardo
skiwoods
dspevack
JeffR
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone,

It was brought to my attention that we don't have any sticky's on this forum. Someone has requested, and it is a very good request, to place a sticky so it will stay at the top of the "Topic". So I am putting this here to ask all the members about any serious issues with the Silver Wing.

I know that there were a couple of recalls/issues very early on but those have been resolved years ago. Do any of you know of issues concerning reliability, safety, or just issues with comfort? I don't what this to be a post where riders say "well the shield could be higher", or "I wish the seat was lower". But rather recall issues or serious trouble issues. I know with the '07 and later Burgman 400 they have had issues with the clutch, so that is the feedback I would like. I'm not denigrating the Burgman but just using it as an example. That is one of the newest bikes out and the new ones seem to have a problem or two, for the first couple of years.

So please come back with any serious issues that Honda just hasn't seemed to fix. Personally, I just can't remember any or know of any, but I do seem to remember they had a recall or two early on. I have only had the SWing for 2 years but after a lot of research I just don't think the SWing has been aflicted with any serious trouble.

Thanks,

JeffR
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Hello all !

I just fell victim to the nefarious interior light problem.

Got back late Thursday after a 75 mile ride , put the Wing in the garage
and must not have closed the seat completely.
Voila, Dead battery !
You would not think the light would drain the battery that fast !
I should have heeded the comments in the forum about this and
removed the bulb.
Oh well , it's on the charger now and I just have to wait
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 pm

txtrkdrvr wrote:

3. A small bar crosses the fuel filler neck and when pumping fuel if you hit it just right it will spray back fuel. Poor design.

I read somewhere that there is a reason for this. I think it had something to do with how far they wanted us to be able to put the gas pump down into the tank...or..I even remember that someone said that this was supposed to be where the level of gas should be in the tank, at its highest.

I just fill mine all the way up as far as I can. I did like the tank better on my Majesty since I could stick the pump all the way down into the tank and fill it up. You get used to it after awhile and I think the Reflex was the same too. I didn't have it for too long but it seemed very similar to the SWing.
Back to top Go down
txtrkdrvr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
txtrkdrvr

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 4:52 pm

A far better design would have been to use the new Ford filler neck. I have a 2010 Ford Fusion and it has no gas cap, simply open the door and place the fuel nozzle directly into the neck, it prevents siphoning, it won't allow you to press the nozzle any further than necessary and more importantly it won't blow back fuel to be wasted. If you're not watching when you top off the tank it will splash all over the place. Gasoline is a terrible thing to waste at $3.79 / Gallon!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah, I do sometimes get that splash back but it isn't too much. I just don't like my hand smelling like gas since it seems so hard to get rid of the smell.

I've always wondered what the perfect bike would be like. I would like a bit larger tires even if it reduced the trunk space a bit, or some kind of overdrive when on the highway to bring down the rpms. But so far I'm very happy with the SWing and can live with a few of these small things.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:01 am

txtrkdrvr wrote:
A far better design would have been to use the new Ford filler neck. I have a 2010 Ford Fusion and it has no gas cap, simply open the door and place the fuel nozzle directly into the neck, it prevents siphoning, it won't allow you to press the nozzle any further than necessary and more importantly it won't blow back fuel to be wasted. If you're not watching when you top off the tank it will splash all over the place. Gasoline is a terrible thing to waste at $3.79 / Gallon!

The insurance company rented me a fusion when my truck got t-boned. I liked it very much, it took me a second or 2 figure out the no gas cap thing, turns out the filler nozzle has to touch both "pieces" before it releases, very ingenious i hope its a passive system, not an active one! I would have one though, but i opted for a C-RV.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:29 am

txtrkdrvr wrote:
Gasoline is a terrible thing to waste at $3.79 / Gallon!

Even worse when it costs about £6.30/$10.35 a gallon!! Sad
Back to top Go down
txtrkdrvr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
txtrkdrvr

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Petrol is that high in the UK now? At that price every drop is precious.
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm

After 4 years, I have replaced the tires at 10K miles(with Metzlers, which I love), I took the underseat light bulb out, because I saw in my dark garage that the light wasn't going out with the seat down, I had my battery go dead later on (it was the original). So, pretty reliable.

My only major issue - and I am unsure if it is major, is the V-matic indicator light on my dash has had a tendency to go on, usually while accelerating to 60+ mph, or after cruising above 60 mph for a long time. I replaced the belt at 12,000 miles (earlier than recommended), since I bought it used, and figured maybe the belt was damaged by rough break-in or something (I bought the scooter with 2600 miles on it). Since putting the new belt on, the light has not come on as often, but still does occasionally. I do know how to reset it, but it is maddening to me to ride down the road with an "idiot light" glowing angrily at me till I can stop to reset.

Recently, I added a RAM cup holder, and can strategically place it so I don't have to stare at the darned yellow light. Still, it nags at me whether there is something inherently wrong with my scooter, or do I just have a wonky sensor? My brother in Georgia has literally taken the whole scooter apart and checked out everything else, and I had a very good Honda mechanic replace the belt a year later, with an OEM belt. Still, that light has come on.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:47 pm

RRHead,

I wouldn't worry about the light nor would I replace the belt just because the light goes on. When you rpm's, compared to the mph's, get too high the light will come on. So if you are climbing a steep hill and giving it throttle it may go on. That happens to me sometimes out here. And when I had the J. Costa or the 21 gr sliders it would go on more often.

It is an annoyance when it does come on but it has more to do with your rpm's when compared to your mph.
Back to top Go down
RamblinRedhead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 7:44 am

Thank you so much for that. That was pretty much what my brother thought, but he loves to second-guess himself, and take things back apart "to make sure".

We have a good laugh now and then about changing the final drive oil. We truly made a mountain out of a molehill on that one.....
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:50 am

The most serious problems or issues with the Swing is the riders. If it wasn't for the riders,the Swing would have no problems on the road. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:24 am

Do you mean the penny-pinching,mechanically inept, thread stripping,"I do all my own maintenance" riders with their shop manuals and extensive range of wrenches...usually pipe wrenches, who come on here for advice after buggering up something, then disappear again? Smile
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 am

Blimey Meldrew, thats grouchy even for you Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.coventryselfstorage.co.uk
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:16 am

Thank's mate, you've made my day! Smile
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:58 am

Meldrew, are you one of those problem wrenching road tube and belt replacing riders ? Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 2:30 pm

I do basic service and maintenance checks wearing rubber gloves of course, don't want or need a workshop manual, and changed a couple of tyre tubes by the side of the road in the past.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Now, now, Meldrew. Not all people "bugger up" thier scoots without a workshop manual. I don't trust anyone to lay hands on my machines, once out of the Dealers they don't see me again. The only one to handle my bikes are the M.O.T. chap once a year. You'll be in trouble if you get a puncture- no tubes in the Silverwing tyres. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 3:43 pm

I'll be in trouble if I have punctures? Let's see, there's Ultraseal in my tyres, a Stop & Go tyre plugger repair kit under the seat, and if necessary can call up Roadside Recovery from the AA or Carol Nash.

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I'll be in trouble if I have punctures? Let's see, there's Ultraseal in my tyres, a Stop & Go tyre plugger repair kit under the seat, and if necessary can call up Roadside Recovery from the AA or Carol Nash.

Yup +1

Except for the tyre plugger thingumajig!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Do you mean the penny-pinching,mechanically inept .... who come on for advice .... then disappear again?

So you have read the X9 forum! Razz Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 7:07 pm

The only issue that I have is the design of the plastic tabs. They seem so weak and break easily. Currently have an oil leak that only drips when on side stand. Had a paper towel between the skid plate and the engine, but no oil was absorbed in the towel. I thought it was coming from where the water pump joins the engine case. Not sure now.
Back to top Go down
Wing Commander
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Wing Commander

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 8:26 am

After 22,000km mixed (suburban, freeway, open highway) riding, can't really think of ANY serious problems with the 'Wing. Tyre change at 19,000km from OE tyres (IRC) to Bridgestone Hoop, but low-speed steering wobble still present though hardly a serious problem. It has been the same from new. Great ride!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Like all mechanical machines, they will have a few problems once in a while but not usually often.  They are pretty reliable if maintained properly.  I used to fly a lot in fact I was in aviation for 40 years and flew lots of hours.  Preventive main-tain-ence is key!  Try to stay a head of the machine.  Keep it serviced when you are supposed too.  It may cost a little more but in the long run it will save you money and head aches.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I only thing I've had fail on my Silverwing is the brake light switch . 
The dealer said they've seen them fail more often on Goldwings 
Don't know how that happened since I hardly ever use my brakes
Back to top Go down
JoeMack
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 am

I've had both the (1) under-the-seat light problem and the (2) seat latch problem. But I've got a working solution for both.

(1) Light: Push the seat down until you hear a click. It takes a little extra force.

(2) Latch: Gently shift the seat back and forth sideways, then try the key again.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 11:22 am

You can also remove the light bulb from the current under-the-seat light, or
there is a swithcable (on-off) light fixture available (for an Acura Integra car) I think which you can replace your original under seat light with and it is basically a "pop out the old, insert the new" installation. The model # of the light should be on here in search... billc.
Back to top Go down
Lugho
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2014-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 4:17 am

Hello,

I had a 4 year old 2009 Swing with 54000 km on it and seeing as I work by the seaside, I had alot of rust issues. The centre stand was completely rusted through and the heatsink on the exhaust was also loose due to rust. On returning from a 2 week holiday last year, I found all the oil had drained from the engine (but only after I had riden it for a couple of hundred kilometers). Eventually the bike failed to start due to a lack of pressure in the engine and seeing as it was too expensive to fix, I bought another scooter (a yamaha xmax 400, which I regretted).

I have now totalled the Yamaha and have bought a second hand sw-t400 with 2300 km on it. The sw-t400 is by far the best scooter you can buy although I can report a few issues:

The brake light switches were replaced several times on my scooter, probably due to oxidation from sea salt.
The last year of it's life, the scooter seemed to like burning through headlights. I had to replace the bulb every few months, I even had a spare in the bike at all times.

But that's it, really, it faired alot better than the Burgman I had previously (that fell apart due to rust).

Cheers,

Ludo

Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 4:25 am

You seem to have many problems with rust. Do you live near the sea or in it!?
Back to top Go down
Lugho
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Registration date : 2014-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 5:09 am

Lol, good one.

Cheers,

Ludo
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 10:48 am

Consider replacing the fuel pressure regulator, and related O-ring, as preventative maintenance. They fail with age and cause very over rich fuel. The part is cheap and not difficult to replace. I wish I had known this with my  prior SWing as it developed the problem and I never figured it out.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2014 10:00 pm

On a lighter note, the one serious problem we have with the Wing here in Oz is that they stopped importing them in '07 (I think.)and most of the small number that do crop up for sale here are of that vintage and non -ABS. I wonder how feasible importing one would be ? Probably a paperwork/logistic nightmare!
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 11:51 am

ericclapham wrote:
On a lighter note, the one serious problem we have with the Wing here in Oz is that they stopped importing them in '07 (I think) and most of the small number that do crop up for sale here are of that vintage and non -ABS. I wonder how feasible importing one would be ? Probably a paperwork/logistic nightmare!

Bummer! Though never a huge seller here in the States, S'Wings can be had for a decent used price. Dealer leftovers can also be a great deal. i bought my 2004 in December for $2500US with 15K miles. It had just received new; tires, GIVI trunk/mount, plugs, Mobile one oil change and air/oil filters. I did have to make some repairs to the body panel mount tabs (outlined elsewhere on this forum) but overall I think i did well.

I know importing a non US model of bike, to the States, can be an expensive nightmare. There used to be a dealer in Texas (or so I was told) that would arrange a new purchase in Mexico, with faked paperwork. Then crossing the border with it was iffy as it could still get confiscated and you lose all your investment.

There used to be a big market for USA bikes imported to the UK, but do no know if that is still going on. A lot of us Yanks get very jealous of the selection in Europe. What other maxi-scoots are available in OZ?
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Do you mean the penny-pinching,mechanically inept, thread stripping,"I do all my own maintenance" riders with their shop manuals and extensive range of wrenches...usually pipe wrenches, who come on here for advice after buggering up something, then disappear again?   Smile

Pipe wrench makes a great hammer as well.
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 2:14 pm

I use a belt clip for a hammer.Saves time looking for it!
Bahahaha  Suspect 
Back to top Go down
DJ Charles
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DJ Charles

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 7:49 am

MikeH wrote:
My SWing has a serious tracking problem. The damn thing won't go straight. I take it to the store to pick up a few things, and it won't go straight home. It always finds the longest route possible.  Smile
well i be damned mine does the same thing cheers
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?    Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 9:50 am

Most major issue. Pilot error. Laughing  Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 10:14 am

Loose nut between handlebars and seat.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 6:31 pm

DJ mine has a similar flaw. Wife doesnt understand either.
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

PostSubject: CHINESE PORN SITE?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 3:21 am

JeffR wrote:
Dan,

That is a good idea of yours.  The reason I haven't done that,mention your site, is not because I think of anyone as "competition" but just because I didn't think of it.  I also thought that everyone knows of www.silverwing.org , the site you moderate, and the Silver Wing site on the Yahoo Groups.  

Here is a link for recalls for many cycles:  http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/01/honda/index.html  

Thanks for the help Dan.

The website qouted in your posting takes me to a Chinese porn site! WT....
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 8:06 am

That link seems okay to me Francois. I just now clicked on the link you quoted and it took me to the Motorcyclist’s Motorcycle Buyers Guide. No en route stop at the Happy Endings Massage Parlor.
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

PostSubject: BROKEN LINK   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
That link seems okay to me Francois. I just now clicked on the link you quoted and it took me to the Motorcyclist’s Motorcycle Buyers Guide. No en route stop at the Happy Endings Massage Parlor.

Sadly my system reroutes me when I try to go there. But hey ... I use a iMac and there is little hackers can do to frustrate me more. I'll keep on trying to root out these buggers though!

Thanking you kindly for your efforts to sort this out!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 8:22 am

dspevack wrote:
Loose nut between handlebars and seat.

The seat glue that keeps the butt planted seems to be loosing its grip Shocked
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 am

Meldrew wrote:
I do basic service and maintenance checks wearing rubber gloves of course, don't want or need a workshop manual, and changed a couple of tyre tubes by the side of the road in the past.  

Looking back at that post of mine from 2013, nothing has really changed. I still wear gloves to do messy maintenance jobs, mainly because I worked in an industry where wearing one, two, and occasionally three pairs of Marigolds was standard practice. A few laters later I bought a Factory Service Manual, and for whatever reason I thought that was a good idea back then I've long forgotten. 

Although it's size and weight is useful on the odd occasion when I need to flatten a wasp that's flew into my garage. 🐝
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 7:00 pm

The Swing is a great machine, I'm a bit puzzled why there are not more of them on the UK roads as its perfect for commuting or just wazzing around generally......

Somebody mentioned UK fuel prices , well its currently £1.75 for a litre of petrol or £8 per gallon , I think it translates to $14 for a gallon , yes thats $14 . Remind me what you murcans have to pay again ....I have my tissues ready Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Ty1967
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2023-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2023 6:13 pm

MikeH wrote:
My SWing has a serious tracking problem. The damn thing won't go straight. I take it to the store to pick up a few things, and it won't go straight home. It always finds the longest route possible.  Smile

That's weird I have the exact same problem but mines worse, my Silverwing folds time and space, so my wife says, I went for fuel today, said I'll only be 15 mins, 3 hours later I got home have no idea where I've been, I just remember riding my Silverwing, felt like 15 mins to me. Can anyone help with this issue, maybe Honda need to do a recall.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 4:23 pm

Rear brake is a pain to bleed. Up and down and up and down and delay valves.
Back to top Go down
Ty1967
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2023-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2024 6:29 pm

RamblinRedhead wrote:
After 4 years, I have replaced the tires at 10K miles(with Metzlers, which I love), I took the underseat light bulb out, because I saw in my dark garage that the light wasn't going out with the seat down, I had my battery go dead later on (it was the original).  So, pretty reliable.

My only major issue - and I am unsure if it is major, is the V-matic indicator light on my dash has had a tendency to go on, usually while accelerating to 60+ mph, or after cruising above 60 mph for a long time.  I replaced the belt at 12,000 miles (earlier than recommended), since I bought it used, and figured maybe the belt was damaged by rough break-in or something (I bought the scooter with 2600 miles on it).  Since putting the new belt on, the light has not come on as often, but still does occasionally.  I do know how to reset it, but it is maddening to me to ride down the road with an "idiot light" glowing angrily at me till I can stop to reset.

Recently, I added a RAM cup holder, and can strategically place it so I don't have to stare at the darned yellow light.  Still, it nags at me whether there is something inherently wrong with my scooter, or do I just have a wonky sensor?  My brother in Georgia has literally taken the whole scooter apart and checked out everything else, and I had a very good Honda mechanic replace the belt a year later, with an OEM belt.  Still, that light has come on.

Hold down the two buttons, mode and adjust together and turn on the ignition, hold for a few seconds and the V light will be reset. It comes on every 16,000 miles to remind you to service the Swing... just turn it off.
Back to top Go down
stbne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
stbne

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2022-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2024 8:19 pm

My SWing is 2002 model and has never had any issues..just maintain it..tires..oil...belts ..cvt and its damn near bulletproof...
Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 20231112

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 20231111
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2024 11:33 am

WOW…97K miles? That’s great! Geez, I think I have 9700 on mine- I have to ride more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?   Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are there any serious problems or issues with the Silver Wing ?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next