Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr Pulley Sliders

Go down 
+5
ronjr009
masscoot
DickO
honda_silver
JeffR
9 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 12:24 am

Hi,

I just ordered the Dr Pulley Sliders and plan on installing them when they come in. I ordered them from Matt from scootertrap.com . I just feel like playing around with other things and thought this would be a good time since my pins are really worn down. I was surprised to see the scratches on the pins when I removed the J. Costa. So I will give a review when I install them and put a few miles on it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 12:39 am

JeffR wrote:
I just ordered the Dr Pulley Sliders and plan on installing them when they come in. I ordered them from Matt from scootertrap.com .

Do you know if these are the old SR2820 or the newer redesigned ones? I do not know how to identify just yet?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 12:58 am

Bill,

I wrote Matt an email about this and said that the sliders are the same. I have read about a situation where the sliders did rotate but he also said that only a few have had that problem. So I'm going to try them and see what happens. I know that the re-designed ones are out now so I hope those are the ones I get. If they don't work I will have to return them. So we will see what happens.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Please, what are Dr Pulley Sliders??
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Sorry. Disregard last question. Found explanation in another part of forum. Not very observant today. Snow is still on the ground in places.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:20 pm

u p tom wrote:
Sorry. Disregard last question. Found explanation in another part of forum

Here is the manufacturers website with a picture description http://www.unionmaterial.com/rollerweight6.htm

u p tom wrote:
Not very observant today. Snow is still on the
ground in places.

I would not want to observe that Razz
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 7:58 am

JeffR, what kind of mileage did you get out of the sliders. I've been toying with the idea of changing my wifes variator to JCosta but may reconcider if the maintance cost is greater. thanks
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:39 am

rvan,

I ordered the sliders and they shipped them yesterday so I won't know for quite some time. I removed my J. Costa when I went to inspect my pins and they had some deep scratches on them, so I re-installed my stock variator. I ride the SWing harder than most so for me it seems the pins are good for about 8,500 miles. Under more normal conditions it would probably be around 10,000 miles.

The Costa is really nice but I want to play around with the sliders for awhile. Since I put about 10,000 miles a year on my SWing I would have to change my pins at least once a year, and the pins are $65. The sliders last about as long as the rollers, from what I hear, so that will be a savings. I'm also going to use some dry lube when I put the sliders in since someone on another site did this and it reduced his rpms' at 70 indicated by about 1,000 rpm's.

But I will install them when they get here and give a good review. I'm going to go for a ride today and write down my rpm's with the stock rollers and then compare them with the sliders.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 10:02 pm

JeffR,
What exactly are the sliders???
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:14 am

Dick,

Did you open Bill's link? It has a good picture of the sliders. Basically they slide instead of the rollers "rolling". It is supposed to give good acceleration but wear much longer than the j. Costa pins. So I am going to try them.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 12:20 am

DickO wrote:
JeffR,
What exactly are the sliders???

Watch front (left) portion of the belt in this video first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tdVY6Kone4 .

The OEM variator has rollers which when they roll up the ramp of the variator push the variator plate out causing the belt to move higher on the variator plate which changes the gear ratio.

You can replace the rollers with Dr Pulley Sliders which slide versus roll ... the sliders can change CVT behavior slightly.

Take a look at the pictures here http://www.unionmaterial.com/rollerweight6.htm .
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 1:07 am

Thanks for all the info guys. Will be interesting to see how your experimenting comes out JeffR. Seems as though that would that be a relatively low-cost improvement if everything pans out. Thanks Again!
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Patiently waiting your results as well. swing
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm going to install them tomorrow evening so I will go for a ride. I'm going to use a dry lubricant since a couple of riders of done this for their Burgman 400 and it reduced the rpm's about 500 or so at 70 indicated. So maybe there will be a slight reduction at 80 indicated for the SWing. So I will give a review of these.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 6:08 pm

JeffR wrote:
I'm going to use a dry lubricant since a couple of riders of done this for their Burgman 400 and it reduced the rpm's about 500 or so at 70 indicated.

Which dry lubricant.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 6:14 pm

I will look to see what type it is. But it sprays on wet but drys off. It isn't the powered kind, there is a type that looks like the dust from a lead pencil. I bought this at a auto parts store so I would think it would be ok. But we will see.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:07 am

Obviously I'm at the bottom of a learning curve here. I know everything there is to know about a VW turbodiesel, but virtually nothing about a CVT.

I understand the concept of a wider "gear ratio" raising the torque to the rear wheel, but what about cruising? Would the sliders result in a higher RPM at cruise? If so....no thanks. But if it gives you more grunt when you ask for it and then settles back down to a normal cruise, that would be cool.

The CVT still seems like voodoo to me.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:17 am

Says the J. Costa website:

-----------------------------
The new drive J. COSTA is conical type dish with sliders. The projected rotation of the masses and
sliders to the hood of force.

Higher yields:

This revolutionary system, developed by J. Costa, offers a linear power delivery and steady ever seen
on drives roller or levers.

The new variable Transversal J. Costa, allows the needs of all public, increasingly demanding.

Advantages

• Improved acceleration
  • It increases the power to wheel
  • The only drive to cut gas that reduces
  • Mayor stretched
  • Increased recovery
  • Increases top speed
  • Greater tact gas
---------------------------------------------

1. Wow! It can cut gas while reducing? Amazing!
2. Stretched Mayor? Why? Was he unusually short to begin with?
3. There is nothing tactful about gas.

I love Engrish.

I work for local government, so I'm already familiar with the difficulties of an "increasingly demanding public."
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Allright Jeff,

You've convinced me. I am going to try the Dr. Pulley Sliders as well. I've noticed how the S'wing is terrible on fuel once you strat climbing up to interstate speeds. From looking at your results and those of several others, a 400-500 RPM reduction can make a difference on MPG. I ordered mine from Scootertrap today so I'll see if I can replicate your results as well. Do you know where I can purchase the dry lubricant that your talking about?
Back to top Go down
Haskell
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 7:11 pm

JeffR wrote:
I will look to see what type it is. But it sprays on wet but drys off. It isn't the powered kind, there is a type that looks like the dust from a lead pencil. I bought this at a auto parts store so I would think it would be ok. But we will see.

Sounds like graphite.....

In my previous experience, it is used to lubricate key lock cylinders. Hope this helps.

(Maybe I'm just trying to increase my number of posts....??) Neutral
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Ron,

I will go look in the garage later to see what kind of dry lube I used. I was getting the reduction since it seemed that my rpm's were higher than usual. They are more in line with what my SWing was stock when I first got it. After I put the stock rollers back in, after I removed the J. Costa, it seemed that my rpm's were still high. The Dr Pulley's brought them back down to where they were when I first got the SWing.

Mickey,

I would think that the Dr Pulleys would reduce your cruise rpm's a bit. I hope others can replicate my rpm reductions so no one here thinks I am telling stories. I would use a dry lube when doing this though.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 7:58 am

Presently I'm using Dr. Pulley roller weights and am watching with interest your experiment with various setups. My rpms are 5200 at 70 mph and I'm averaging 50 mpg in fuel. The Dr. Pulley rollers (28 gram)are an improvement over the stock but still have some vibration and belt slap at low speeds. So far it sounds like the sliders may be the way to go , Thanks for sharing your experiment. I'll be interested in your final opinion on the sliders. I thought about trying the J. Costa variator but haven't really read anything as to how long the pins last before having to relace them. Jeffr says the J. Costa pins needed replacement after 9000 miles. It would be interesting to see how many miles others were able to get from the J. Costa before relacing the pins.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 3:10 pm

I am still waiting on my Dr. Pulley's. Matt at Scootertrap says demand is high and is wating for more to come in. Have you guys had a chance to really see how your bike does on longer runs at high speed in terms of MPG's? I will have to wait a while longer. In the meantime, I installed a three brothers performance back rest extension. I really like it. It is a great and inexpensive solution to have a nice backrest that is adjustable. I have also ordered some Orsam H7 bulbs (German made) which are supposed to be one of the best halogen bulbs for longevity while providing for greater light. I am going to stay away from silverstars, cool blues, due to bulb life as they are not easy to change on the Swing.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 10:51 am

I am in the same boat as Ron, patiently waiting my Sliders Crying or Very sad I did install my new K&N air filter and new plugs, my SW is enjoying and responding to the new parts! I tried running a full tank Saturday but only got 60 miles before the heavens opened up, total 137 miles on this tank so far and it is registering half full (we all know those last bars disapear quickly).

Ron did Matt give you a target date for arrival? I just ordered 5/27/09 so I hope I'm in line for the next delivery.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey Masscoot,

No he didn't. He said that demand was particularly high at the present time for the sliders ( I wonder if the posts on these boards have a little something to do with that) and that he is waiting for the next shipment from Dr. Pulley. I ordered mine on May 12th. Hopefully, I won't have to wait too much longer.
Back to top Go down
RAYJASPER
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-04-30

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 3:27 am

Hi,

the difference of new SR & old SR is with or without a groove line on the top position

see website of http://www.clubgp800.it/forum/viewtopic.php?t=898&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

right hand side SR with a groove on the top is new SR2519 , left hand side SR without the groove is old SR2519.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Thanks RAYJASPER this is good info, I was wondering what the difference was. I will be sure to look for the groove when my sliders get here.

I'm a little disappointed that it has been one month (yesterday) and still no word from scootertrap other than "not yet". I'll be sure to ask if items are "in-stock" before I order again from them. I have ordered power supplies shipped from china (shipped as in ocean going vessel) then trucked across the US to the east coast in less time than this Evil or Very Mad
Ronjr009, have you received yours?

Here is a picture of the old and new (ungrooved and grooved)

new and old
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:05 pm

FWIW I've got the new HiT Clutch, as well as a few Sliders and Rollers on order direct from Dr Pulley/Union Material in Taiwan. After a costly PayPal error and the usual time delay for PayPal transactions to clear. I'm told that the expected ship date is July 6th.

Hopefully that will bode well for your orders too.

I'm currently running the 28 gm Dr Pulley Sliders. I'm very happy with the acceleration, but disappointed with the higher operating RPM's & commensurately poorer mpg's.

Current RPM's @ indicated speeds are:

55 mph = 4.4K rpm's; 55 mph = 4.9K; 60 mph = 5.4K; 65 mph = 5.6K; 70 mph = 6.2K;
75 mph = 6.6K; 80 mph = 70K; 85 mph = I dunno; 90 mph = 8.0K

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:07 pm

I've finally received my Dr. Pulley Sliders from Scootertrap yesterday. Installed them today and we're up and running. My results are pretty consistent with JeffR and most everyone elses. I am seeing a solid 400 RPM drop from 60 on up. The bike will not have to labor as hard at cruising speed and I am expecting to see somewhat of a fuel milage increase as a result. Is it faster off the bottom end? Well..... I don't know for sure. I have done some 0-60 tests with a stop watch in the past and I may do it again to see if there is an appreciable difference with the Dr. Pulley sliders. It doesn't seem any slower but I'll just have to test and see. More to come.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:08 pm

ronjr009 wrote:
I've finally received my Dr. Pulley Sliders from Scootertrap yesterday. Installed them today and we're up and running. My results are pretty consistent with JeffR and most everyone elses. I am seeing a solid 400 RPM drop from 60 on up.

With or without dry lubricant??
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 pm

ronjr009 wrote:
I've finally received my Dr. Pulley Sliders from Scootertrap yesterday. Installed them today and we're up and running. My results are pretty consistent with JeffR and most everyone elses. I am seeing a solid 400 RPM drop from 60 on up. The bike will not have to labor as hard at cruising speed and I am expecting to see somewhat of a fuel milage increase as a result. Is it faster off the bottom end? Well..... I don't know for sure. I have done some 0-60 tests with a stop watch in the past and I may do it again to see if there is an appreciable difference with the Dr. Pulley sliders. It doesn't seem any slower but I'll just have to test and see. More to come.

What weight are your sliders? 28gm same as Tim?
What was the price and how long did it take to receive them?
Also interested in you 0-60 when you get around to it.

Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:05 pm

I installed them without the dry lubricant. I also noticed a few other things. Before I changed out the weights, I did a test on the centerstand and reved the bike up until the variator belt would no longer ride up the the pulley. Their was a good quarter or third of an inch of variator left. I performed the same procedure after installing the Dr. Pulley sliders. The belt will ride all the way to the top of the variator pulley with the Dr. P's. I don't see any further room for improvement in terms of RPM reduction on that front or at least with the stock variator.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:05 am

Ron,

I'm glad you are getting about the same results I am. I was kind of worried that others would install them and not get the results I got and think I was not being honest about them. I feel that mine is smoother after I installed the sliders. Are you feeling your bike a bit smoother too? I have the power commander now and it even smoothed the bike out more. If anyone wants to do another mod I got mine for only $259 and I feel it was well worth it.

I have to thank Bill again for the PC map. Thanks Bill.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dr Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Sliders   Dr Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Sliders
Page 1 of 1