Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
variator sliders I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

variator sliders

Go down 
+8
Vealie
The Scootist
DaveR
PHXScooterBill
jodders1
ulflyer
bigbird
vmaximus
12 posters
AuthorMessage
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 2:27 pm

I will shortly be changing the drive belt and roller weights on my A7 s/wing.Having just received a workshop manual this seems an easy enough job to do.I have read several topics about Dr pulley sliders but my question is can i fit dr pulley sliders/weights to a standard Honda variator.I want to get as good a MPG as possible but i tow a camping trailer so i am not too bothered about faster acceleration just a general good all round performance. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 3:20 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 3:58 am

Thanks for the reply,my next question is does anybody know where i can buy them in England and what weight would i need to get the best MPG
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 7:07 am

VMax: I may be wrong here, and if so, I hope others will jump in and correct me, but if you're pulling a camping trailer with the Silverwing, I don't think you want to use lower weights than the originals. Lower weights give higher rpm on takeoff, and lower RPM's at cruise. Its the top end lower rpm that I would think might put too much strain on the scooter. Frankly, I'd stay with the factory weight, be it a Dr. Pully or OEM.

As to your belt, how much milage do you have on it now? Might want to examine it carefully, measure it, and if its still in spec, continue using it.
I ride with several other SW owners, one of which has over 200,000 miles and is only on his second USED belt. His dealer provided the used ones that other customers insisted be changed at the specified milage in the manual, despite dealer advising against it.

Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 7:51 am

vmax: there is no agents in the uk that sell dr pulley sliders ref: unionmaterials.com
to order some on union materials website click on agents then onto germany www.drpulley.info mr.diestel on the website click translate to change from german to english register your details and buy your sliders 28x20mm x24g sliders 45eur +3.50eur postage can pay with paypal the exchange rate 1.12eur to the pound today you may be better ordering the dr pulley sliding pieces at the same time sp2820-w they are 16eur
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 8:22 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 2:03 pm

This guy in Oregon, USA will ship worldwide. Not sure what his international shipping would be, though. He's about the same price for the actual sliders as Buggy Parts NW.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260740254365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_898
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: dr pulley sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 4:18 am

hi all
can anybody tell me before i make my final decision to order dr pulley sliders have they noticed any increase in belt wear or belt slapping wear on the outer case with the belt running higher up the variator pulleys with dr pulley sliders in, is the dr pulley sliders wear rate lasting as long as the stock rollers
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 8:19 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:21 am

thanks bigbird
have ordered my 24g dr pulley sliders and sliding pieces have opened up the variator today just to see how it all goes together had no problems and was suprised how much dirt there was in the variator housing and rollers my bike has only 3200 miles and is 18 months old there is belt rubbing marks on the aluminum housing have give it all a good clean and put it back together for now hopefully sliders will be here next week to fit them
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:31 am

Sorry I asked questions. . . seems they have been answered except for one thing. I notice on the "sliders" out of Eugene, Oregon, they are 26g. Do they have other weights? Guess I'm pretty ignorant on this subject but do want better gas mileage.
Old Dave Smile
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Dave:
I had the 26 g sliders and liked them quite well. I was able to get 59 mpg if I was careful. I wanted a bit better accelleration so I switched to 22 g sliders. I still get about 55 mpg and the accelleration is about as good as I had with the J Costa variator.
Back to top Go down
Vealie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Vealie

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-18

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 4:06 am

I ordered two sets of sliders (28&26g) from Buggy Parts. They did a great job in sending them out quickly and e-mailing me a tracking number etc. But after three weeks they hadn't arrived. Tracking via USPS told me they were in the UK so entered the tracking number into the UK postoffice website, but didn't get a hit. Turns out they were with Parcel Force and were in the Rotherham depot waiting for me to pay £28 duty! Why Parcel Force didn't tell me, I don't know. I like them, so I'll probably order a set of 24g and 22g in the future and sell the spare 28g set that I didn't install.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-02

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 am

I just ordered 22 gram sliders and will be pulling apart everything for the first time. I am not an old time motorcycle guy so this is all new to me. I watched the YouTube video on replacing the sliders but I have two questions.
1. What do you use to clean all the belt dust and such from all if the parts inside? Brake cleaner?
2. Do you use any dry lube on the sliders?
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 3:16 pm

You'll hear many opinions.I use compressed air and a soft painting brush.No lube on the sliders as the manufacturer did.Brake cleaner after compressed air seems right.Do a search here for the tool needed to hold the variator steady to loosen the main bolt
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 6:22 pm

A small paint brush and a rag followed by brake cleaner on a rag for stubborn deposits. IMHO you don't need to do a perfect cleaning as you get rubber powder sticking to the parts as soon as you get everything assembled and start using your SWing. NO LUBE on any DRIVE (engine end) components!
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Excellent thanks for advise.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Put in the 22g sliders and what a boost. Takes off like a banshee. Although I now find myself wanting to race everything on the planet now. I do seem to be getting more belt slap where I didn't really have it before. I get it when I let off of the throttle. Is this normal?
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 4:55 pm

yahooie wrote:
I do seem to be getting more belt slap where I didn't really have it before. I get it when I let off of the throttle. Is this normal?

I have 24 gr Dr Pulley Sliders. I don't get any belt slap on deceleration (that I am aware of). Maybe I get a bit on acceleration - I do get some shudder - don't know for sure if it is belt slap. I am assuming you installed a NEW OEM belt - if not, you may wish to consider installing one.

In summary, I don't think what you are getting is normal. Let us know what you find out? Did you ever solve your 'noise' issue? Hope so.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 5:51 pm

No on solving noise issue. And right now I am broke down on the side of the road waiting for a motorcycle mechanic who saw me broken down to get some tools. I am assuming (hoping) that it is a loose variator bolt and not a broken belt. That would suck. I don't keep a spare. Would have to get the bike towed.
Back to top Go down
pigiboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-02-04

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Hello!
My question is simple. Silverwing 600 2001 Dragon machine factory variator roller weights and dimensions are interested.
Thanks for the answers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

variator sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: variator sliders   variator sliders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

variator sliders
Page 1 of 1