Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Front strobe I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front strobe

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 8:59 pm

I just had a strobe put on my new Silverwing this morning. The new Wing went in for it's first 600 miles required maintenance. I had a strobe on my Helix just because I think on-coming traffic can see you better. I'll order my Givi trunk with the lights on it on Saturday. My goal is to be visible to the cars....
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 am

Coralee,

When you say strobe are you referring to a headlight modulator? It does seem to be a good idea. Being visible is not overrated, but still - ride as if they can't see you.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 8:58 am

Be very careful of what you had installed. There is a link somewhere on the .org site to the national regulations for bikes regarding headlight modulators. They have to only dim by a certain level before they return to full brightness I think.

Never call it a strobe in front of a police officer, or you will be cited at least.
If you provide us with more info on what you installed, we will be able to help you determine the legality of it.

Jeff, You should find the referenced link and post a copy here.

Dan
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 12:36 pm

dspevack wrote:
Never call it a strobe in front of a police officer, or you will be cited at least.
If you provide us with more info on what you installed, we will be able to help you determine the legality of it.

Jeff, You should find the referenced link and post a copy here.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks Bill. Good Sleuthing.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 12:33 am

Bill,

Ditto what Dan said. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 am

You are right it is a modulator. When I was driving a couple of years ago I started seeing them on bikes and I was surprised how much that caught my attention as a driver. I just want to be seen. It has a sensor on the handle bars and if it starts to get dark it turns them off. Or you can just put your light to dim and it goes off. I had one on my other bike and I just felt better with it on. I agree that you have to ride on the defense all the time.
Back to top Go down

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 2:24 am

I've seen them on Goldwings a lot and was under the impression they were OEM. But perhaps I was wrong. They do, indeed, grab your attention! Having it on your high beam light gives that bulb something to do during the day.
Back to top Go down
mikbak
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikbak

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 5:35 am

They are not legal in the UK
Back to top Go down
http://www.maxi-touring.co.uk
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:14 am

mickey wrote:
I've seen them on Goldwings a lot and was under the impression they were OEM. But perhaps I was wrong. They do, indeed, grab your attention! Having it on your high beam light gives that bulb something to do during the day.

I found an interesting side-by-side demonstration of the modular headlights ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGmTrsyYQBA ).

I notice the headlights not modulating further done the road than modulating. I only notice the modulating headlights in close proximity, so it only works at slow speeds and up closed ... imho.

My HID headlights would even be more pronounced.
Back to top Go down

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Interesting video...I haven't seen a low beam modulator. Mine is only on my high beams and when you put it to your low beams it is off. It also has a sensor that when it starts to get dark it turns them off. I really feel it has helped cars to see me. Even the guys in my group have said when we are riding they can pick me out in the rear view mirror because of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front strobe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front strobe   Front strobe I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front strobe
Page 1 of 1