Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED

Go down 
+3
aidanpryde18
honda_silver
buddy19520
7 posters
AuthorMessage
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED Empty
PostSubject: Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED   Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 7:23 pm

I went to start up the Silverwing this afternoon, and it cranked rather slowly. The headlight is fairly bright and all other lights are lit as well.

I put it on the trickle charger for a few hours and took it off after the charger indicated it was charged. It still cranks slowly and won't start.

I measured the voltage across the battery terminals.

12.76 - just after the charge, and after trying once to start
12.26 - key on, headlights on
11.20 - while cranking

Last time I used it, it ran flawlessly. Last use was last week; the Vespa got to go on the camping trip last weekend!

Does this sound like the battery is a goner? It seems that it loses too much voltage when under a load. The previous owner said he had just installed a new battery before putting it up for sale (this was two years ago this weekend). It is not a Honda brand battery as far as I can tell.

Next question - where is a good place to get a new battery? Online, Walmart, auto parts store???

Thanks for any and all help.

Philip

Edit @ 9:00 PM

I tried a few more things. I used a car charger at 10 amp setting for about five minutes (maybe less). I also pulled each of the fuses underneath the seat (none were burned, mostly shiny but with a little corrosion around the edges).

I then gave it another try at cranking. A bit slow sounding but better than before. When it wouldn't start, I gave it a little throttle a few times while it was cranking and it fired up! Idle was a touch rough for 10 seconds or so, then settled into place. After revving the motor a little (3000 rpm or so), and a bit of idling, I used the key to turn the motor off. Tried starting again and it started as normal. A 10 minute ride and it runs fine.

Thinking back, I remember it doing something similar once before. A neighbor told me to give it some throttle and it fired up then, too. Perhaps a sensor in the fuel injection system was mixed up. Whatever it was, I'm glad to get it running. If it happens to you, remember to give it some throttle when cranking the starter (just be on the center stand, or hold the brake).
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED   Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 11:17 pm

buddy19520 wrote:
The previous owner said he had just installed a new battery before putting it up for sale (this was two years ago this weekend).

Two years is not that old.
Back to top Go down
aidanpryde18
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED   Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 8:12 am

I had the same problem with mine about a month ago.

Gave it a little throttle and it fired right up. It has started and run well ever since.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED   Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 9:39 am

My experience----try Batteries Plus----they can load test old battery and probably sell you new one that fits.

If bike is used everyday, more than 10 mile trips, etc. Battery seems to last long time. Standing, used only now and then, the battery tends to have shorter life.

Anything over 2 years is good luck, but OEM battery on my Kawasaki Concours did last 5 years....and I changed it due to fear or dislike of walking...Not easy bike to bump start. That bike was spare and only got 56,000 miles of use in 5 years, but run at least once a week.

I never add electrical accessories, which can cause extra load on system that was not designed for it.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED   Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 10:28 am

john grinsel wrote:
If bike is used everyday, more than 10 mile trips, etc. Battery seems to last long time. Standing, used only now and then, the battery tends to have shorter life.

Anything over 2 years is good luck

I'll second that John! A general rule of thumb from my few miles of riding is that two full seasons on a new “Un-Tendered Battery” is reasonable, any more will tempt fate.
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Battery   Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 10:47 am

When you start your quest for a battery, I would be looking for a gel battery.

Thanks to this forum, some one turned me on to them and have pleased so far.

Turns out they last longer, do better under load, and take a charge faster. they are sealed so no maintenance needed. Per say

Also I would be willing to bet that the previous owner knowing he was about to sell did not invest in a good battery. small moped
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED   Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 am

x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED   Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! Cranks slow and won't start. FIXED
Page 1 of 1