Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Variator dash light

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IDwingit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-07-15

belt light - Variator dash light Empty
PostSubject: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:40 am

What causes the VR warning light to illuminate that is located on the dashboard of the SW?

Mine only comes on upon startup self checks then goes out. The manuals dont really tell me why the light would come on as a warning. Mine isnt on fulltime, just wondering what issue would cause this warning light to be thrown.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:42 am

They are self tests when starting up the system to register the sensors, dont worry about it to much.
Specifically, the VR light will come on at 16,000 miles to tell you to replace the belt. Someone correct me if this is wrong.
Back to top Go down
IDwingit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:56 am

I understand that there are self checks upon startup and am not worrying about it too much.

I am wondering what conditions/malfunctions cause it to illuminate under normal operating conditions though.

Others have stated that they do not change the belt exactly at 16k miles but do not report that their VR light is on, no?
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:59 am

That is a case of better safe than sorry. Your wing aint goin nowhere but down a hill if the belt breaks. Therefore most people change it beforehand.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:08 am

IDwingit wrote:
I understand that there are self checks upon startup and am not worrying about it too much.

I am wondering what conditions/malfunctions cause it to illuminate under normal operating conditions though.

Others have stated that they do not change the belt exactly at 16k miles but do not report that their VR light is on, no?

Ah, sorry, i didnt read that right. The light will come on if the sensors in the 2 shafts tell the cpu that there is a out of range difference in the shaft speeds. There is a range for any given speed, if it falls out, the light will, or should come on.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 3:00 pm

If your RPMs are too high compared to your speed, the CPU interprets that as a worn (narrow) belt, and turns on the light.

J Costa variators also have a tendency to trigger it.

Otherwise, it is programmed to come on at 16,000 miles to remind you to replace the belt.

Sorry to be so brief, but I'm in the middle of turning my forks around and want to take it for a ride!
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 4:29 pm

Mine seems to come up really early ever since I put 26g Sliders in. I lost my drivebelt at 11.9k miles, but I have no idea how the first 5.9k miles were for the bike although it did sit out in a lot for a good long while. Since then, my V light has come on at 18k, and after resetting, it came back on around 32k. I've had 2 belts since then, and will probably buy another one and change when I hit 40k, since the V light doesn't seem to be useful to me anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 9:55 pm

buddy19520 wrote:

Sorry to be so brief, but I'm in the middle of turning my forks around and want to take it for a ride!

Ha ha ha! I know, right? :lol!:
Back to top Go down
IDwingit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 11:03 pm

I am glad I have thick skin. I was just wondering why Honda would have a trailing front axle when I never saw it on any of my other motorcycles. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 12:48 am

Here,s the phone number,call em and ask!

+81-3-3423-1111
Back to top Go down
Johnnygone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Johnnygone

Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:05 pm

A trailing front axle changes the camber angle and it will turn easier and shorter. It also has a tendency to not track as well as an axle in front of the fork line. With harley choppers we would have the front forks raked out to make the bike lower and longer. And with a springer the wheel was well in front of the fork line. They would track out nice down the hiway but didn't turn all that great. I think the Silverwing has it balanced pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Variator dash light   belt light - Variator dash light I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Variator dash light
Page 1 of 1