Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

V-Matic Light on the dash

Go down 
+3
jdeereanton
bigbird
davidp456
7 posters
AuthorMessage
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-27

V-Matic Light on the dash Empty
PostSubject: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:45 am

Had the bike around 4 years now, and the light has appeared on the dash, I have done the reset trick and it has turned off, but it has now got me thinking should I
have the v-matic stuff replaced?
should I upgrade to the J costa Variator?
Sell the bike and get something similar?
Also any ideas how much to get the above done at a garage?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:57 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:04 am

bigbird wrote:
davidp456 wrote:
Had the bike around 4 years now, and the light has appeared on the dash, I have done the reset trick and it has turned off, but it has now got me thinking should I
have the v-matic stuff replaced?
should I upgrade to the J costa Variator?
Sell the bike and get something similar?
Also any ideas how much to get the above done at a garage?

Wow. That's a lot of questions going off on many different tangents.

As for me, I would suggest the remedy will be as simple as replacing the drive belt. It should be between $150 and $200 at a shop, including labour. Do it yourself and it'll be the discounted price of the belt, around $110.

J. Costa is good for me, but others would say don't bother. Search it out on this forum, as there are dozens of threads about it.

Sell the bike? Why?

Good luck filtering through all the suggestions you're going to get, including mine.

thanks for that but am from the UK, sorry should of mentioned that, but I can a rough idea with your prices, thanks for your time.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:55 am

If the light came on and your bike is stock - you have finally accumulated the number of miles needed to reach the recommended drive belt replacement point.

Pretty much all that is needed. I'm with BB - Sell the bike? Why?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 am

That light coming on is very similar to the low fuel warning light coming on in your car. If you consider selling your car when that light/bell comes on, then you might think about selling your scoot. Other wise, replace the belt and ride another 4 years. Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:23 am

Opalsboy wrote:
That light coming on is very similar to the low fuel warning light coming on in your car. If you consider selling your car when that light/bell comes on, then you might think about selling your scoot.

Well put. Funny.
Bonus points for you.
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 11:14 am

thanks again all
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 5:45 pm

My V-Matic light does the same thing and I've attempted to reset it three or four times. It stays off until I cane the bike a bit and then goes back on.

Others have mentioned that it's possible that if the stock variator has been replaced by one of the aftermarket devices ( J Costa, etc), the light tends to stay on...don't know if that's the case on my bike and haven't torn that far into it yet.

I'd be more concerned about it, except that I know the prior owner was meticulous in maintaining the bike and changed the belt approx 4K miles ago...so not too worried about it. I've learned to ignore the light and will keep track of the belt replacement by miles, not the V-Matic light...

Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:42 pm

My V-Matic light finally came on for the first time today. I have 13,900 miles, but I put a J Costa on about 7,000 miles ago. When I first put the JC variator on it, it would rise to 6800 rpm at full-throttle take off, then ease up around 65 mph. Lately I have noticed the the rpm's climbing over 7000 at take off. Today it looked to be as high as 7300 rpm, which is when the light came on. I reset it but it came back on when I was WOT.

When I bought some other parts, I got a belt from hondaparts-direct.com. I think I will go easy on it until I hit 16,000 miles instead of replacing it now.

David, I suggest that when you get the belt replaced that you go for the J Costa variator. I would not be able to ride with the stock variator any more - too much vibration and too slow. If you don't change the variator, at least consider some lighter weights. Or you could try the Dr Pulley sliders - I've never read a bad word about them.
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:46 am

i am very tempted for the costa but i cant find a uk supplier, i have no idea which garages around me will fit it, i guess the standard main dealers wont do it and I am quite sure I cant do it myself.
Back to top Go down
davidp456
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:55 am

certainly cant tdo it as some of the tools i need quoted from the pdf

I torqued mine to 76
ft/lbs but REFER TO YOUR MANUAL FOR YOUR PROPER
TORQUING.

also

this is a variator tool i bought from honda

i dont have these

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 12:08 pm

David,

The light comes on I beleive every 16,000 miles to remind you it is time to change the belt. (It may be every 12,000 miles but I don't my have manual with me now). I wouldn't be concerned at all unless you haven't changed the belt...you can even measure the belt to make sure it is still within the specs for really having to change it.

I had the J. Costa on it, and it is a great mod, but once in awhile I would be going up a steep hill and the light would go on. I just thought that it was due to higher rpm's. It didn't do it alot though. I wouldn't worry at all except if it is time to change the belt. I change mine per the manual, and sometimes earlier, just so I know it shouldn't ever snap and make me have to walk. In my younger years I would ride as long as I could , or until something broke, but at 51 years old now I don't push things anymore.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 12:25 pm

JeffR wrote:
but at 51 years old now I don't push things anymore.

Except maybe the cart at the grocery store when your back gets tired. Those carts are a godsend as you get older. :lol!:

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 4:02 pm

bigbird wrote:
JeffR wrote:
but at 51 years old now I don't push things anymore.

Except maybe the cart at the grocery store when your back gets tired. Those carts are a godsend as you get older. :lol!:

DID I FORGET TO BAN YOU AGAIN !!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: V-Matic Light on the dash   V-Matic Light on the dash I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

V-Matic Light on the dash
Page 1 of 1