Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fat Bottomed Afternoon

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-08-17

Fat Bottomed Afternoon Empty
PostSubject: Fat Bottomed Afternoon   Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 2:51 am

When I bought my 01 very low mileage Silverwing a year ago it was always a toss up between it and Burgervan 650 - but I never actually tried one as the wing came along and at 7k miles could not resist it - no regrets at all.

Anyhow a couple of days ago I was at the dealer where I got it as I had a coolant leak and needed bike up on a ramp (it was a loose hose connection high up)

They had an 08 Burger 650 for sale so the opportunity was too good to miss - it was only a short ride - so my personal take -

Great bike, feels very planted, but not as nimble as the Honda. Gear change set up did little for me - power mode felt frothy and frantic, overall transmission felt a little jerkier than Honda. I got an auto transmission bike because that is what I want - just that. Does it feel pokier with the extra bhp and weight? - possibly but for me it was hard to tell, and if I were to mess about with Dr Pepper and/or whatever I might put Honda ahead - BUT - I can get 55 to 60mpg on a good day if I am half sensible and at current fuel prices in UK that is quite handy at present - anyway been there and done that with several HD's in past.

Burger was definately more comfortable as stock for me than S/Wing was before I did buttrest to backrest mod, so I suspect Burger might be better for 2 up - but my lady wife does not bother anymore since we were knocked off a Pan Euro in Oxford 7 years ago (doing 10mph)

Looking down at the 'cockpit' looked a bit like a 1980's/90's fully dressed Japanese tourer but with digital readouts - again not to my taste.

I could certainly live with one and sit on one all day - but was left really feeling the Honda a bit more versatile, better looking despite age, simpler to live with - and felt I had got something out of my system and happy with what I have.

Totally subjective take with my age/stage/build and experience - but thought I would share - sorry if a bit long winded.
Regads - John
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Fat Bottomed Afternoon   Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 7:09 am

I was thinking recently wouldn't it be great if a few dealers in one area got together at a local race track (the sort you can hire for open days) and brought along a wide selection of bikes and offered a 'test ride' day.

I for one would turn up at an event like this if I had the chance to test a handful of different bikes I'm considering as a future purchase. For example right now I'm interested in test riding a fuoco/MP3, a CBR600 and a Burgman 650, all for different reasons.

To be honest I would even pay for an event like this, as long as it wasn't too excessive.

Maybe this type of event goes on in other parts of the world, but not as far as I know here in the UK. My gut tells me the dealers would get quite a lot of business out of it in the long run.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Fat Bottomed Afternoon   Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 6:02 am

The dealers probably don't want to pay the insurance premium. I think they would do it for regular customers but not for 'punters off the street'.
(Just my two pennies worth).

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
@TRider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
@TRider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Fat Bottomed Afternoon   Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 7:57 am

To be honest I would even pay for an event like this, as long as it wasn't too excessive.

I agree! Roll up to a dealership and tell them that you want to try half a dozen bikes and they will probably think you are wasting their time! However I have seen possibly seven bikes which may be my next purchase or a replacement for an existing one, but I think that it is unlikely I will end up test riding all of them!

I bought the SWing on the basis of a very short test ride (my bad, possibly) but equally some bikes you learn to love in time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fat Bottomed Afternoon   Fat Bottomed Afternoon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fat Bottomed Afternoon
Page 1 of 1