Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 11:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 11:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 9:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 9:05 am

» Drive belt prices
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SCOOTER BAG

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

SCOOTER BAG  Empty
PostSubject: SCOOTER BAG    SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 11:21 pm

The one thing I miss on my Silverwing is the sprung hook that was fitted to the inside front body panel on the X9 500, nicknamed by many X9’ers as the “curry hook” – obviously for hanging on a takeaway bag. I used it to attach the front loop of a Givi Scooterbag that fitted perfectly in the footwell but no such attachment is available on the S/Wing. Until now, well not exactly a curry hook.

I’ve devised a simple way of attaching the Givi bag which fortunately is a perfect fit in the footwell and without any major disfiguring of the bodywork apart from two small black plastic buttons. It’s also a quick release fitting to provide easy access to the petrol filler flap. If you’re still interested read on.

You’ll need a length of 1” wide (or near enough) nylon webbing, a couple of push-fit plastic panel button fittings (as used in cars) and a pair of buckles and “squeeze to release” sprung clasps usually fitted to rucksacks and back packs. The ones I used were from redundant shoulder straps.
Place the bag in the centre of the U frame so the plastic loops hang down evenly both sides. Thread a bare end of the nylon webbing through the bag loop and also attach the female part of the buckle to it, doubling back the ends so they are trapped and so both tighten up on themselves when pulled. It’s a bit of a black art but keep trying.
Remove the footboard rubbers and you’ll see some recessed hex. headed bolts that attach the footboards to the whatever’s underneath, presumably a chassis member. Remove the bolt nearest the buckle already attached to the bag and thread another piece of webbing through the loop on the male part of the buckle/clasp assembly – the bit you squeeze to release leaving enough double thickness to reach the bolthead and a bit beyond.
You should now have a buckle and clasp assembly attached to both sides of the bag but not actually attached to the bodywork. Here’s the tricky bit. With the buckles attached,keep them flat against the body panel and make sure the webbing follows the contour of the bodywork down round and across the footboard to the bolt head, leaving about an extra inch past the bolt head towards the outside edge of the footboard. Now using a sharp pointy thing make a hole through both thicknesses of webbing slap bang over the bolt hole and open it out so the bolt screws the webbing down onto the footboard.
When you’ve done this replace the footboard rubbers on both sides attach the bag buckles and you’ll not be too surprised to find that when the bag is lifted it inconveniently lifts the footboard rubbers with it. Not a perfect solution up to now but easily resolved as follows.
Take the two plastic body panel buttons – these are a push fit as they have a serrated stem – once in they’re meant to stay in unless you rip ’em out with a pair of grips. Just below the clasp – the squeezy bit – very carefully make a pilot hole through both thicknesses of the webbing and scratch mark on the body panel where the panel button should be fitted. Using a hand drill fitted with a 6mm bit gently turn the chuck by hand and use it like a rotary knife making a small hole in the body panel. Whatever you do don’t drill it with any force as heaven only knows what pipes and cables might be sleeping peacefully behind the panel. When you feel it’s just through, remove the drill, open up the hole if needed and push the black panel button through both thicknesses of webbing and into the hole you’ve just carefully drilled in the panel. Now when the bag it attached and lifted it won’t lift the edge of the footboard rubber. Job done.

If anyone wants some pics I'll be pleased to send them attached to a PM as I haven't a clue how to include them here.
Hope this is of interest to some.Cheers, Brian.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-06

SCOOTER BAG  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCOOTER BAG    SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 am

Maybe I'm alone but I think it'd be great to post the pics publicly here. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

SCOOTER BAG  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCOOTER BAG    SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:59 am

Brian Read wrote:

If anyone wants some pics I'll be pleased to send them attached to a PM as I haven't a clue how to include them here.

Upload them to your album.

Click on "Album" in the large blue button below the picture at the top of the page. Select your personal album. Then choose "Send a pic" at the upper left of the page. Follow the instructions. It's that easy.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

SCOOTER BAG  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCOOTER BAG    SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 am

Brian, one of the easiest ways to get pictures on Forums is to upload them to a 'host' site such as 'Photobucket.' (All free.) They will store your pictures and allow you to place them in your posts on forums.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

SCOOTER BAG  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCOOTER BAG    SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 9:12 am

I devised a solution for hanging a 'tunnel' bag soon after I bought my Silverwing which (fortunately for me) requires no drilling or modification of the plastic.
I have pictures somewhere.

I've just looked - they're in my album. Smile
Back to top Go down

SCOOTER BAG  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCOOTER BAG    SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

MikeO wrote:
I devised a solution for hanging a 'tunnel' bag soon after I bought my Silverwing which (fortunately for me) requires no drilling or modification of the plastic.
I have pictures somewhere.

I've just looked - they're in my album. Smile
Hello Mike; That's very neat. Presumably the aluminium rod/bar slides through the loop in the webbing and you poke it through the hole where the little cover plate is located on the front panel above the filler flap.
I also bought a pair of chrome long stem mirrors for £25.00 - absolutely brilliant.I can actually see whats behind me rather than just my shoulders.The originals were absolutely useless not mention dangerous and why they don't put sensible mirrors on a scooter costing so much is beyond my comprehension.
Cheers, Brian
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

SCOOTER BAG  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCOOTER BAG    SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Hello Brian.
I hope I didn't seem to be stealing your thunder - it's good to have several solutions to choose from.
Indeed, the longer piece of tube butts up against the underside of the square hole while the shorter bit fits between the sides of the hole.
It's just tight enough not to drop back down although, if it did, the buckle would stop it falling right out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SCOOTER BAG  Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCOOTER BAG    SCOOTER BAG  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SCOOTER BAG
Page 1 of 1