Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:55 pm

» I said Farewell...
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Got new Scooter

Go down 
+6
JeffR_
roadrunner
ulflyer
Meldrew
Waspie
john grinsel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 5:54 am

Took delivery of new scooter yesterday----Suzuki leftover 2011 Burgman, bought on price and features---doesn't matter how you slice it, there is $1500 price spread between Burgman 400 and SilverWing----both have been around a long time and probably soon will be re-placed.

But the lighter weight, 4-way flashers, mpg read out and as I recall a little easier to work on, tipped me....and better gas mileage.

So as there probably will not be another SilverWing in my future for awhile, you may not be bothered with me......and my dislike of the dirty bathrooms, horrible drivers, etc of the south.....trailer bikers. Honda probably has better parts service and more dealers.

And remember scooter for me is not substitute for motorcycle, I really like them and treat them as putt putts....and mine are in daily use year around....all weathers.

Have fun

Trade in allowance for my 2010 NT Honda was fair, Suzuki dealer offering $100 more
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:49 am

Never heard of a 'Suzuki leftover 2011 Burgman.'

Is it a new model or an old model reinvented John? Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 6:50 am

Hello John,

Nice to hear you've bought a new scooter, and even nicer to know you're not dead! Over on bigbird's SilverWing600 Tech Forum, there's been a johng clone causing mischief (1,500 000 miles etc.), and some one called Emmylou Grinsel logged in as a guest and posted you'd passed away at 1:45 from heart complications.

Best of luck with the Burgman forums and all the 'Burgman Grin' bollocks! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:54 am

Congrats John. The B400's are hard to beat.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Congratulations on your new Burg, John, and best of luck to you. Do check in from time to time; the forum is less colorful without you.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 1:57 pm

John,

congrats on your new scoot. Hope you like it and does what you want. You don't need to leave though..we would still like you to stick around. You should really like the B400. I had the Majesty and it was a very good bike, nice and smooth.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Hello John,

Congrats on the Burgman 400. Great scoot, mine is stood next to my Silverwng.

p.s. Sorry to hear that you had passed away. Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 5:06 pm

So I take it a Suzuki Burgman AN400K? is now renamed to a Suzuki leftover 2011 Burgman?

When did this change take place? Rolling Eyes I have missed something somewhere.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 11:39 pm

I had an 06 Burgman 400 between the two Swings. The older 400's needed more maintenance than the new ones due.

Are you going to put a car tire on that scooter?

Got new Scooter 18072_251416_330000000
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 4:50 am

No Car tires on two wheeler for me.

Leftover----means leftover on model year change---I remember in Germany, bikes could stand in shops and their year be considered the year first registered.

My problem as consumer.....nobody really tries hard to sell me new bike....no follow up from dealers/sales. I had done my research/cost study and finally Suzuki dealer 3 miles away called and said "Suzuki has another $500 off" I was there in 5 mins. Scary was NT700V to trade--nice bike/sales flop in US, He gave $100 more than Honda had offered the week before.

Comparing scooters is apples and oranges----but having owned both new Burgman and Silverwing in the recent past......4 way flashers/non-linked brakes and mpg indicator nice features. I'll ride this scooter a year and get another. Stock Burgman windshield is worse than SilverWing.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 am

john grinsel wrote:
Stock Burgman windshield is worse than SilverWing.

You can junk it for a Givi, they supply two for your Burgman. The usual tall screen the 266DT, that'll probably need cutting down. There's also the Airflow AF 266 and the lower section is 26½" wide, the Silver Wing AF 214 is narrower at 23¼". It mounts differently too using a pair of braces fixed to the lowers. Whether you have to drill a couple "secret holes" I've no idea. Have you got the Burgman Grin(sel) yet! Wink
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:52 am

I have had GIVI adjustable on SilverWing--worked fine

On previous Burgman GIVI one piece---cut it down so I could safely see in all conditions.

Adjustable windshields are way to go, as your sitted height can vary from day to day.

Working on lining up GIVI
windshield and rack and passenger back rest today.

GIVI makes pretty good stuff----near 100% right fit from start. Cannot say that about other after market stuff I have wasted money on in the past.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

John,

After you get a few miles on it give us a report comparing them, if you would. I know you had a Burgman before but maybe somethings are a bit different. Will you miss the power difference at all between the NT700 and B400? I have read that the SWing and NT700 have about the same amount of power and if you need power much with your riding.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 4:31 pm

For Jeff R----this is my second Burgman 400----just one SilverWing 600.

Got GIVI Adjustable windshield coming direct from GIVI---should solve air management problem.

SilverWing and NT performance near same----NT faster if you keep engine spinning. NT better gas mileage especially if you hurry.

Burgman is easier to work on than SilverWing. Old style oil filter mickey mouse. Tires for both Burgman and SilverWing, much cheaper than NT tires or Burgman 650 tires.

Power I won't miss----whole thing about scooters, ride mellow, they are not a motorcycle. Running down road @ 60-70mph in right lane fine with me, easy parking, easy U turns on side roads as I look for place to go.

I do plan to ride more in 2012----2011 was 15,000 NT, maybe 5,000 on SilverWing.

Just got in, in rain----scooter much better than bike for rain. Arrived, dry feet only had rain jacket on.
Back to top Go down
oldgoat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
oldgoat

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-07-16

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

I had a 2006 Burgman 400 for 3 years. It was my favourite scooter & I'm sorry I sold it. It was light, low seat height & easy to manoeuvre. It did require regular valve clearance checks though.
Sold it for more power (2006 Silverwing) & ABS brakes. Wish I hadn't.
That was the cheaper option if I wanted ABS as the newer Burgman 400s with ABS were too expensive up here.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:18 am

I had a similar 400 Burgman for three years, it was nice to ride and the under seat storage was more user friendly than the Silver Wing. On the minus side the stock twin 35w/35w headlights were feeble, the stock screen was rubbish, you couldn't use the glovebox 12v socket, and I couldn't buy Burgman handguards in black. I also used to have to top up the oil after a long motorway run, but reading through forum posts it seems they all had that little trait.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:27 am

Meldrew wrote:
I had a similar 400 Burgman for three years, it was nice to ride and the under seat storage was more user friendly than the Silver Wing. On the minus side the stock twin 35w/35w headlights were feeble, the stock screen was rubbish, you couldn't use the glovebox 12v socket, and I couldn't buy Burgman handguards in black. I also used to have to top up the oil after a long motorway run, but reading through forum posts it seems they all had that little trait.

Couldn't agree more, (other than the hand guards - handy having silver.)

It was the most fun I have had on a scooter, regularly scraping the stand when cornering. Twisted Evil My main niggle was the dipped lamp blowing regularly.

If I was to get another scooter I would most likely get another AN400 as having a Honda dealer in town has proved not to be the advantage I thought it would be.

The 'Wing' is good right now though, still seriously enjoying riding it albeit to work in the main!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Wx Forecast is good for the next few days so a two wheeling I will go!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:54 pm

It's taken them 4 years but I think Suzuki have finally got there with the latest Burgman 400Z ABS. It looks pretty good with dark alloy wheels, and has heated grips, hand guards, and a passenger backrest as standard. 62 litres of under seat storage is useful too. All it really needs is a Givi box and Airflow screen, and then you might have to remove the hand guards.

It's only £500 cheaper than the current Silver Wing, almost as heavy, and has a smaller tank. I'd consider one if I was changing my scooter but by then the SW-T 600 should be for sale in the UK.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Waiting for UPS man to deliver AF266 adjustable windshield, rear rack and passenger back Rest.

US 2011 model still has silver wheels (plus!) non linked (plus) abs brakes.

Scooter=really sad you have to buy replacement windshield to go down the road in any comfort.

Burgman 400 is still heavy, but much less than SilverWing or NT, but still heavy to push up driveway, went up on lift easy/safely under power.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 pm

John,

That is good news that your stuff should come in soon and you can install them, and get your bike the way you like. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 7:45 pm

John,

Givi Airflow is a doddle to fit on the Burgman. It ends up being much stiffer than the same screen on the Silverwing due I think to the more substantial brackets used on the Burgman.

Hope to see you on BurgmanUSA forum. I'm on there with the same username and avatar as here.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: new scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Now have GIVI rack mounted----used my old but servicable box---fairly straight forward rack installation----take off simple plastic, drill 18mm holes, remount, use GIVI supplied bolts in Suzuki pre-tapped holes. Had to do some re-spacing as I felt one bolt that secures top plate to rack, cames too close to plastic---so spacers from my junk box.

Adjustable Windshield----much more diddle time than with SilverWing---but again junk box supplied replacement for stuff that got dropped.

Looks like windshield in lowest position much higher than on SilverWing---snow coming so will have to wait a few days to see how this works. I found/find plastic on Burgman much easier to work with than Honda.

Next project.....see what dealer wants for oil filter. $6-7 fair price. Dennis Kirk has Burgman 400 filters from $4.

Back to top Go down
Chinasaur
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-08-26

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:13 pm

John,

You mentioned the NT700V..and it's reception is not a real puzzler. I remember when the Deauville came out. I dearly wanted one of those...but when I saw the NT700V in person..I was completely underwhelmed. I had a 2002 Connie at the time and the NT700V seemed like a complete downgrade due to reduced storage, high seat hight with reduced cc's and weird passenger ergo's. I was wondering what the Euro's liked in it as it has been a good seller in Europe.

Enjoy the new ride.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Having had both new Concours and NT700...and lived in Europe 20 years. Both NT and Concours reliable. Concours buffeting king, NT good air management. Both overweight. Concours cooks you in summer, NT does not. I think popular in Europe on price/insurance/more modern than Concours/tire prices and availability.
Both have side opening bags=Sucks. Gravity in my world puts stuff on ground. Concours very top heavy feeling at stop, NT just ok. Looking at Germany and high speed---Concours is handful at 120mph, NT fine at its 100mph plus top end. AND 680cc vs 1000 cc is apples and oranges, maybe.

Now new bike===just went out with new AF266 GIVI adjustable windshield, works as well on Burgman as its does on Silverwing....too bad decent air management is not standard on scooters.After market shields are not cheap. I once wrote road test of HondaCB750F in Japan, "Auto-by" magazine----complaining of awful seat and suggesting the designer/approver have it strapped to his butt for two weeks...and I was sure another seat could be desiged at same price point. Honda did not like critical road tests and wanted to pull their ads--rather than try to make seats more comfortable.

Went to Suzuki to buy Oil Filter for Burgman----didn't buy @$13 for non-spin on plus high TN sales tax. $6-7 I would have purchased. So I will call Dennis Kirk, order 4 and end up paying under $22 shipped for 4 and have some in stock. So is the bike business in the US---I want to support them, but screw me in the parts dept and I find other sources---Same goes for service---people who cannot do their own work get screwed in many cases. Funny SilverWing spin on filters are available at WalMart for around $4.....and it is same as GoldWing and NT700 and others so most often in stock.
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 8:10 am

John, not that it matters now about filters since you've found a good source, but a local Suz dealer that I mostly dealth with sells them for $5+ for late model B400's. I used theirs just to give them what little business I could. Personally, I use mostly Hi-Flow brand in all my cycles which you can often find real reasonable on Ebay. Hard to beat $22 tho....that was a good deal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Got new Scooter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got new Scooter   Got new Scooter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got new Scooter
Page 1 of 1