Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

I own a scooter?!

Go down 
+7
model28a
Greysilver
Dale N.
hotwings
johnd
Meldrew
Chief0907
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Chief0907
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-08-24

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 3:27 am

I was on my way to finalize my purchase of a Kawasaki Versys LT, approved, financed, sign and fly, when my younger brother mentioned he wanted to sell his 2007 SilverWing.  The cycle shop was crowded, chaotic, and unfriendly, so we retired to a quieter environment.  Sometime later, sight unseen, I own (as of this Friday), the aforementioned beastie.  I am not young, sold the last of my motorcycles in 2013 but I've missed having one.  The "maxi-scooter", a name reminiscent of feminine hygiene, is a one owner, never in rain, garaged, 6K miles, and owned by a somewhat anal compulsive individual.  What could go wrong?  Anyhow, I've ridden for 54 years and maintained Kawasaki, Honda, BMW, and Yamaha machines.  I don't like Suzukis.  Looking forward to picking her up and getting to know her, and you folks too.  I've spent days and dollars too proud, and/or stupid to ask.  I'm older now, with scars and replacement parts to prove it.  Y'all ride safe, now.  Later,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:26 am

Chief0907 wrote:
 The "maxi-scooter", a name reminiscent of feminine hygiene,

Only to Americans of course, that's why the more butch 'battle scooters' to dreamed up to avoid using it.  Rolling Eyes   The name maxi scooter has been used in the UK and Europe for many years. First to describe the the original maxi scooter the Honda CN250 Helix and then all the others than followed. That's what they are long wheelbase scooters, maxi scooters. Not super scooters or mega scooters, or heaven forbid battle scooters.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Scooter   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 9:16 am

I refer to my scooter as my scooter on steroids, :lol!: Then my friends call it, the bike with wheelbarrow tires. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 10:11 am

I tell em its a "touring scooter" Exclamation .
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 10:19 am

The motorcycle club I ride with has some Harleys, Honda Goldwing trikes (2), a Suzuki Boulevard to mention a few. They don't make fun of my SWing since the first couple of rides with them. It's "get up and go" is as good as theirs. It keeps up on the interstates. It gets better mpg than theirs. It has more storage than theirs before any add ons. I have a GIVI Monokey top box which adds a bit more storage.

I'm 69 years old. Too darned old to much give a crap what others think of what I ride. I love my 08 SWing and will ride it until the "wheels fall off".

However, I do have a 1974 Honda CB750 for those days when I want to ride a "real" motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: welcome and a story   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 11:58 am

.... I'm 69 years old. Too darned old to much give a crap what others think of what I ride. I love my 11' SWing and will ride it until the "wheels fall off".....

Im 69 as  well and I don't give zip what the guys on the big bikes think.  Let me recant a fine  tale ( reasonably true too). Last week I was on a nice ride, stopped for gas at a recognized bike gas station and intersection. 3 pleasant chaps stopped by 2 on Harley road kings and one on a Goldwing. Good conversationalists all.  I have NO use for grumpy, sour. folks with attitude. I wouldn't ride around the block with them.

These guys were happy. One was 86 years old and so happy just to be under blue sky and over green grass AND on a Harley. He was fun to be around and ditto the other 2 except ages are more like 55. One came to me and suggested I ride with them to Globe. I said sure and he quickly qualified his  invite with a line akin t0 - "are you sure you will be able to keep up as we ride at 60 to 65 most times". He was completely sincere in his presentation.

I said, chewing on my lip, yes i think Ill be able to keep up, lets go. Presently they wanted  me to take point. Heck I was flattered. So at about 55 - 60 away we go. Traffic did provide some hinderance and we slowed to 55ish. In the lead I knew of a near mile mile straightaway a couple miles ahead. All 4 of us could pass handily and  not break formation.

There we passed two cars hitting 90. We tucked back in and resume 60 - 65 for the rest of the 30 miie ride. Needless to say my scooter  was  the topic of conversation for all of 15 minutes at our rest stop in Globe. Not  only would TOP run but she would accelerate brisky. The chuckle factor was memorable.

Chief, enjoy the ride. welcome to the site  from Arizona.

Last edited by Greysilver on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 8:58 pm

welcome Chief0907 you'll fit in fine around here.
If you plan on doing your own maintenance you'll find you can do anything you need or want with the service manual and help from this forum.
I add the paragraph below for most new members because there's a lot of information in the links and may save you some work.
Here are some links(3 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
Chief0907
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-08-24

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Back at y'all   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Greysilver, Dale N., seems we share age and to some extent attitude.  Dale, also curious fact about your 1974 CB750.  I crashed and burned a 1974 CB750F Easter Sunday 1981, can still see the speedometer as I passed over the bars. Looking forward to time with the SW.  Thanks to all of you for your kind words of welcome, I'm sure to be soliciting your advice.

"A fool and his motorcycle are inevitably parted."
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 8:20 am

hotwings wrote:

I believe that this is the way Honda refers to the SWing.  I use this term also! And to echo Greysilver, I ride with a bunch of Harley guys; both on my Goldwing and the Silver Wing. They have learned that the scooter CAN keep and there is never a problem!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 8:59 am

My buddies nick named my PRECIOUS, ( The sewing machine on steroids )Most cruisers motorcycles can't keep up to my Swing from 0 to 60. So I tend to slow down to let them catch up.LOL. Smile cheers
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 9:14 am

GHM-PM wrote:
hotwings wrote:
I believe th,at this is the way Honda refers to the SWing

Ahem, gentlemen, please; Touring Class Scooter.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 8:05 pm

I love the rubber band drive, no shift "Touring Scooter". It is always in the right configuration to accelerate w/o down shifting. Whats not to like ?

Chief, I had a 73 ' CB 750 and a 77' CB 750 F. Both were good rides.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
I own a scooter?! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 12:02 am

vermont wrote:
motorcycle from this🏍to this swing Hi every one my name is Bob I just bought a 2008 SW I have had 3 Harley's 2 Suzuki's and my last bike was a 2012 BMW K1600 GT. I loved that bike but do to kiddny failure I had to sell two BMW K1600 Gt my wife had a 2013 BMW K1600 GT as well. Now I have scooter my wife has a 2013 Hyosung GV250. My legs are weak and I was afraid of dropping the BMW.

I truly love my SW it has ABS and linked brakes and is fun to ride. I had it out on the highway the other day and I can't believe that I got it up to 100 MPH. I can beat most if not all motorcycles off the line because of the automatic transmission, it has the same trans as my snowmobile has. I bought it used with 4500 miles on it and the best part is I get to ride again.
I had to get use to riding a automatic bike I hold the back brake lever like its a clutch but I'm over that now. The only problem I find with the SW is it takes to high  RPM to engage the transmission plus the fact that when you coming  to a stop the transmission goes in to neutral to soon.        

I use  to make fun of scooter riders until one day I was behind three Maxi scooters and I was amassed how fast they went even when going up a mountain road the scooters didn't skip a beat. I told my wife that some day I would like to buy a scooter. My wife and I ride northern VT and northern NH. You can ride for miles without stopping.

Bob, great introduction. Welcome to the forum, but it would have been even better if you had started a new thread so everyone could see it and give you your own welcome. (I dropped a note to admins requesting this)
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 12:03 am

And I took care of it.Wink
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
I own a scooter?! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 12:11 am

model28a wrote:
And I took care of it.Wink  

That's why Jeff pays you the big bucks!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I own a scooter?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I own a scooter?!   I own a scooter?! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I own a scooter?!
Page 1 of 1