Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Lived to ride another day.

Go down 
+9
ultralight
bigbird
steveR
alejom
MikeO
sharker
AAAA
"Hi Yo"
Waspie
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Lived to ride another day. Empty
PostSubject: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 5:04 pm

This happened yesterday and have been pondering on the potential of the whole thing.

Whilst riding home last evening in bright sunlight across what we call the Causeway, a single lane road, 60 mph limit. The road was fairly clear, only a few cars, two ahead of me moving slightly slower than me. Obvious because of the closing distance between us.

As I approach, (55 mph), headlight on main beam due to the bright sun, I look over my shoulder, all clear, nothing behind. Looking ahead, two vehicles in my lane doing aprox 45 - 50 mph, a white Peugeot van and an older Volvo estate car. With 50 yards separating I take a second look over my shoulder, still clear, nothing coming towards me. I indicate to overtake, glancing down at my mirror for a final confirmation, accelerate from my 55 mph up to 75 mph to get past swiftly. As I pull level with the Peugeot I am looking in his right wing mirror to try and see what the driver is doing, has he seen me, is he looking!

That was answered in the next few seconds. NO! He obviously wasn't looking! The pratt pulled out, no indication, nothing, I am now moving further right and find we are now three abreast on the two lanes Evil or Very Mad . Volvo on the inside, Peugeot and myself on the outside!!! As I glance across at the driver he is oblivious to my presence, casually steering the vehicle with his right wrist resting on the steering wheel.

I am now past him and tuck in front, looking in my mirror I finally get the impression he has clicked on to the fact I exist. This by the sudden erratic motion of his vehicle in a left/right pattern before stabilizing the vehicle. Then he decides to try and tailgate me.

Right!!! I think initially, I'm going to pull up in front of him and vent either my vocal chords or fists at him, undecided, it will depend upon his response. Common sense kicks in and I think, sod him, he's not worth it and would probably not have a clue what he has/hasn't done!!!

Once home and the Silver Wing parked in the garage I think about what has happened. What did I do wrong? What could I have done differently? Then, how did we not collide? I have gone over it and over it and to be honest, I would do the same maneuver again, the Peugeot driver was at fault, he wasn't paying attention and certainly never used his mirrors.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Lived to ride another day. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Hey Doug, Come on over to the states, we can use some more NASCAR drivers. Is it possible that the van driver never saw you because you were in a blind spot for him. I notice a lot of tractor-trailers with the notice "If you can't see me, I can't see you." Maybe if you manuvered into his mirror sightline so you could see him and flashed your lights before passing it might have helped. Or a couple of rounds through his back window might get his attention. Just glad you weren't hurt and are able to vent your anger here.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Waspie wrote:
This happened yesterday and have been pondering on the potential of the whole thing.

Whilst riding home last evening in bright sunlight across what we call the Causeway, a single lane road, 60 mph limit. The road was fairly clear, only a few cars, two ahead of me moving slightly slower than me. Obvious because of the closing distance between us.

As I approach, (55 mph), headlight on main beam due to the bright sun, I look over my shoulder, all clear, nothing behind. Looking ahead, two vehicles in my lane doing aprox 45 - 50 mph, a white Peugeot van and an older Volvo estate car. With 50 yards separating I take a second look over my shoulder, still clear, nothing coming towards me. I indicate to overtake, glancing down at my mirror for a final confirmation, accelerate from my 55 mph up to 75 mph to get past swiftly. As I pull level with the Peugeot I am looking in his right wing mirror to try and see what the driver is doing, has he seen me, is he looking!

That was answered in the next few seconds. NO! He obviously wasn't looking! The pratt pulled out, no indication, nothing, I am now moving further right and find we are now three abreast on the two lanes Evil or Very Mad . Volvo on the inside, Peugeot and myself on the outside!!! As I glance across at the driver he is oblivious to my presence, casually steering the vehicle with his right wrist resting on the steering wheel.

I am now past him and tuck in front, looking in my mirror I finally get the impression he has clicked on to the fact I exist. This by the sudden erratic motion of his vehicle in a left/right pattern before stabilizing the vehicle. Then he decides to try and tailgate me.

Right!!! I think initially, I'm going to pull up in front of him and vent either my vocal chords or fists at him, undecided, it will depend upon his response. Common sense kicks in and I think, sod him, he's not worth it and would probably not have a clue what he has/hasn't done!!!

Once home and the Silver Wing parked in the garage I think about what has happened. What did I do wrong? What could I have done differently? Then, how did we not collide? I have gone over it and over it and to be honest, I would do the same maneuver again, the Peugeot driver was at fault, he wasn't paying attention and certainly never used his mirrors.

You didnt lay on your horn, them kick his side mirror off when you had a chance. many i know, now have a collection of them.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 7:08 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
Is it possible that the van driver never saw you because you were in a blind spot for him. I notice a lot of tractor-trailers with the notice "If you can't see me, I can't see you." Maybe if you manuvered into his mirror sightline so you could see him and flashed your lights before passing it might have helped.

Hi Yo, I do tend to sit in full view of the drivers side wing mirror. A technique passed on by our police when I did a 'Bike Safe' training course. As well as positioning myself in view of his mirror, my lights were on main beam, so I could only conclude he simply wasn't looking.

I know I do tend to ride fast!! But only when safe, ie, no traffic, that way if I mess up a maneuver I am the only one that suffers.

Tagg, I did think about leaving a calling card in the form of a boot mark in his door but my safety was kinda paramount and I just wanted to get myself in a safe configuration again.

I have left a few calling cards in my time on vehicles, a few wing mirrors too but this time I was more thinking about just getting past this git.

I was very grateful for the Silver Wings power which did help in powering my way out of trouble and in front of the hazard. Had I been on a lesser powered machine I think the result may have been different, the combination of power and stability seriously contributed to me escaping safely.
Back to top Go down
sharker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sharker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:48 am

I often hear the comment that becoming more visible is important. Wear proper clothing, ride in the correct lane position etc.
In my experience this doesn't matter a bit in North America, where they don't see you because "they are not looking - period". I have driven in Western Europe where most drivers are alert and follow rules of the road but over here there are no rules of the road and the fools behind the wheel are texting, eating, talking on the phone, etc. and are in the market for new technology like lane sensors, radar anti collision sensors that wakes them when they fall asleep.
SH
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:49 am

Close shave, Doug!

I'm sure you did the right thing in not bashing the car.
I know I need to concentrate on avoiding an accident - no time for 'revenge'.
The only time I savaged a wing-mirror on an errant car I knocked off my Laminar Lip and it fell into the road and broke.
I did allow a tail-gater to pull up on my inside at a roundabout where we both had to stop. I reached in the open window, whipped out the keys and threw them across into the passenger footwell.
That was very satisfying!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:57 am

Sharker, the type of driving you describe is catching on in the UK. The television frequently shows US programs with drivers, on the phone, drinking from mugs or beakers, eating breakfast whilst NOT concentrating on the road. This as it emanates from the States makes it "cool" and "ok".

Did you know when a group of UK youths were questions about how do they contact the emergency services by phone, what number do they ring? (Correct annswer 999) A high percentage actually answered 911, the US number. Such is the effect of tv on our youth!!! This from the generation we are informed are cleverer and brighter than previous generations.

I don't think so!

Please guys and gals this is not meant as an anti US criticism, unfortunately just fact!!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Lived to ride another day. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Doug, I absolutely meant no criticisim of your riding style. If everyone rode as you seem to, things would probably be much better. As you say, it's the lack of paying attention that causes most problems. I agree that the films and TV shows that show a total disregard of laws and others is a problem. Uh oh, the old man is ranting. Better go drink my prune juice, sit in my rocker, and yell and shake my cane at those hooligans. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi Yo, no offence taken at all.

I think most of us who use the forums know exactly how dificult it can be some times to read inuendo, sarcasm and genuine critism. However I never took your post in any way other than the way it had been intended. Indeed I liked the rounds through the back window comment. I was lacking an 'Uzi' 9mm at the time unfortunately!!!!

Having come from a background, (aircrew), where critism is given and taken, I started the post with a view to genuinly ask if any one thought my actions were rash! Should I have overtaken? I still believe so, the road was clear apart from the two I was overtaking!!

Just had a thought!!! Maybe fit a cane pouch on the side of the 'Wing' and unleash it on errant motorists!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 2:44 pm

Have I mentioned that during the morning commute, I have witnessed drivers READING the newspaper while moving at 75 mph, (yes... reading the economics section), texting on their phones and seen them keep their eyes off the road for 15 whole seconds, and the other day, I saw one with a cigarette and a coffee on one hand, while at the same time, holding a breakfast sandwich on the other?

c'mon...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:25 pm

I have it on very good authority that only people who live in Tennessee do that while driving.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 6:33 pm

One comment, I was always told by the advanced bike trainers NOT to use main beam as it is harder for other drivers to gauge speed and distance.

Not an issue with the numpty you describe, he probably wouldn't see a Beemer jam sandwich with Blues and Two's going! Sad
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm not getting any younger, my reflexes aren't getting any faster, and my eyesight isn't getting any better. For those reasons, I just ordered one of these in yellow to wear over all my riding gear:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon-mil-spec-mesh-vest

Worthwhile for you?

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Very nice but I do wish they'd make decent vests like that with HiViz on the shoulders- from behind they are virtually useless if one has a topbox on the Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 7:03 pm

MikeO wrote:
Very nice but I do wish they'd make decent vests like that with HiViz on the shoulders- from behind they are virtually useless if one has a topbox on the Silverwing.

That's why my back end is lit up with LED brake lights instead of stock incandescent bulbs, an Admore mini LED light bar, and Admore LED brake and turn bulbs in the Givi top box.

PS:
I've found cage drivers very reluctant to follow me in urban driving. The height of the top box no doubt interferes with their vision down the road, and the incessant blinking of all the LED's in stop and go traffic seems to drive them crazy. It works!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Indeed, and I have an Admore Light Bar but I still think the vests should have HiViz shoulders. Wink
Back to top Go down
ultralight
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ultralight

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 12:10 am

"Did you have on clean underwear?"

Doug,

Glad you made it home safe. You didn't do anything wrong from the sound of it. Driver just wasn't paying attention. I had a driver attempt to merge right on top of me once. The shoulder and my Silver Wing's throttle were my friends.

You did good. Learn from it. Get out there and ride.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:29 am

Speaking of distracted driving, when I was driving charter buses one day I was cruising on the interstate at 70mph when a car passed my bus. The guy had sheet music laid out on his steering wheel and was playing a flute while steering with his knees. I hope his score was short and not a full symphony.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 6:01 am

Sheer bad luck Doug!

Sally & I agree you didn't do anything wrong and rode in a safe manner, and Mr White Van Man was at fault; however thats no real comfort for having the living daylights scared our of you. At the very least a written complaint to the police would've made you feel a bit better.... I know that it wouldn't have done anything immediately, but and its a big but, if this guy were to be involved in an accident in the future - which saddly looks all to likely - then a note on the 'system' that others have found his style lacking may well give the plod greater cause to take an interest in him. Besides which its a cathartic experience, very useful to help you move on!

We're just glad that you got home safe and sound - if more than a bit shaken and stirred!

Later Dude.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 8:18 am

That's called a close one. Not much you can do to prevent. Having ridden in UK, lived in Germany 20 years, Japan near 20 years plus Korea and Italy.

I think North America probably has the most not paying attention drivers.

Although I wear yellow jacket, lites on etc.-----I found from previous experience teaching WA state troopers how to use some bikes that were purchased (1966) and being issued a Police Motorcycle for the duration of the course and commuting-----the idiots seem to pay attention to those bikes! Normal scooter/bike presents no threats.

Here idiots on cell phones are great danger and should be shot on spot, they like texting, reading etc.

That's why I believe always ride in attack mode and really be on guard.

I used to kick doors in, break off mirrors------but now idiots will use their vehicle as attack weapon.

I think you were moving by him as quick as you could as running along side is very dangerous as done by idiots in US who sit in passing lane on cruise control.

Ex. in Italy you can get away with some real aggressive passing, etc as everybody is paying attention and expects it. Fun. Same in Asia.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:01 am

john grinsel wrote:
That's called a close one. Not much you can do to prevent. Having ridden in UK, lived in Germany 20 years, Japan near 20 years plus Korea and Italy.

I think North America probably has the most not paying attention drivers.

Although I wear yellow jacket, lites on etc.-----I found from previous experience teaching WA state troopers how to use some bikes that were purchased (1966) and being issued a Police Motorcycle for the duration of the course and commuting-----the idiots seem to pay attention to those bikes! Normal scooter/bike presents no threats.

Here idiots on cell phones are great danger and should be shot on spot, they like texting, reading etc.

That's why I believe always ride in attack mode and really be on guard.

I used to kick doors in, break off mirrors------but now idiots will use their vehicle as attack weapon.

I think you were moving by him as quick as you could as running along side is very dangerous as done by idiots in US who sit in passing lane on cruise control.

Ex. in Italy you can get away with some real aggressive passing, etc as everybody is paying attention and expects it. Fun. Same in Asia.

John Grinsel

I actually agree. I remember in the late seventies.people actively, and with purpose, trying to rum motorcycles off the road. Happened to me in Tulsa, twice .
A guy pulled up next to me on the highway, smiling and waving at me, then turned right into me. I braked, came up on his left side and put 4 feet of anchor chain right through his front glass.
2600 block of S. darlinton ave. The lady watched for me to get close enough before pulling out and stopped. I endo'ed the Kawasaki into the curb behind her. That one almost killed me. She looked at me in her rear view mirror, i saw her eyes, and she drove away.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:14 am

Tagg wrote:

I remember in the late seventies.people actively, and with purpose, trying to rum motorcycles off the road. Happened to me in Tulsa, twice .
A guy pulled up next to me on the highway, smiling and waving at me, then turned right into me. I braked, came up on his left side and put 4 feet of anchor chain right through his front glass.
2600 block of S. darlinton ave. The lady watched for me to get close enough before pulling out and stopped. I endo'ed the Kawasaki into the curb behind her. That one almost killed me. She looked at me in her rear view mirror, i saw her eyes, and she drove away.

It is incomprehensible to me that people would act like that. Either I'm very naive, or you live in one very sick society. But then again, you can legally carry around hand guns for self defence in this day and age. I shouldn't be so surprised.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Like i said, this was in the late seventies, maybe it was a regional thing back then, but in motorcycle circles, and it seems like i remember it on the news, (i could be wrong) it was something you were aware of, and came up in conversation. Those were the only times i was willfully taken out.

On a more recent note, i was almost wiped out last Friday by a girl talking on her cell phone, she waved like it was nothing and was shocked when i pulled up next to her at the light, took her cell from her,which was still at her ear no less, threw it in the ditch and screamed at her that i would not die for her.

Some may not like this but every time i have had a near miss, it is always a woman talking on a cell phone, personally i dont think women should be allowed to be in possession of one when in a car, they are more dangerous than drunk drivers.

And yes, as a matter of fact, i do have my conceal and carry, but rarely, if ever carry, only if im going to St. Louis!
Back to top Go down
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Take a look at my post from earlier today under "safety." Not on a cell, but he did say he was "distracted" when he ran the light. I'm damn lucky to be here!!!
Back to top Go down
sharker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sharker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 5:47 pm

lived ---

I like the roads in France.

There are very few traffic lights, only in towns where the streets are too narrow for roundabouts. Unlike traffic lights it is impossible on a roundabout to have a head on collision with a fool making a left turn. Also the T bone can't happen.

Best of all are the narrow roads with trees close to the road and no guard rails. A driver not paying attention goes off the road into the trees and is killed. Then he is no longer a threat.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 6:12 pm

sharker wrote:
lived ---

I like the roads in France.

There are very few traffic lights, only in towns where the streets are too narrow for roundabouts. Unlike traffic lights it is impossible on a roundabout to have a head on collision with a fool making a left turn. Also the T bone can't happen.

Best of all are the narrow roads with trees close to the road and no guard rails. A driver not paying attention goes off the road into the trees and is killed. Then he is no longer a threat.

I like it! Thats it, im moving to France! Where they wear the sexy pants, if i recall correctly!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lived to ride another day.   Lived to ride another day. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lived to ride another day.
Page 1 of 1