Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Friend took a spill and lived.

Go down 
+3
Dale N.
Mike from NS
cotetoi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Friend took a spill and lived. Empty
PostSubject: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 7:21 pm

News of a motorcycle accident is not always good. A buddy of mine was on a solo trip to Bangor, Maine on Fathers' Day. He is a relatively new rider on a 400 Burgman. He had secured some pack on the back seat for the trip. Somehow it came loose and unsettled his ride. He says he was cruising at 50 mph when he felt the first sign of trouble. While he was trying to control the bike to stop properly, the rear wheel locked up and he went over the bars.
Fractured right collar bone and cracked a few ribs and passed out till the emergency crew got to him. He has some road rash on both knees and that's the extent of his injuries.
He had told himself he would ride till his first accident and this it for him. I told him I was grateful that he was alive and relatively well and talking about this accident because it could easily have been much worse.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 8:03 pm

The first accident is out of the way ... no need to stop riding now !  If the parachute fails and you live ... get back in the plane and try to get it right the next time !

Glad he is OK ... and will heal cotetoi.

Mike

Last edited by Mike from NS on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Accidents really really suck! Glad he's going to be OK.

I've been in a couple myself and am glad I came out OK. One was my fault and I learned my lesson about drinking and riding. The other was a woman in a car who made a left turn in front of me. Luckily it was in town and we weren't going fast. Still it messed up the bike but I came out pretty good with only a few bumps and bruises.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 11:32 pm

There isn't really an "accident". I would call it a mishap caused by inattention or carelessness. It was totally avoidable. I wonder how the insurance company will see it.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 1:24 am

What caused the rear wheel to lock?
Back to top Go down
Thebreen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:28 am

and if the rear wheel locked up why did he 'go over the handlebars'? probably panic struck and operator error took over (he locked the brakes and lost control of the bike). Glad he is quitting riding bikes but sadly he will likely remain operating a vehicle and remain a danger to us all.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 11:39 am

At a guess I'd say if the pack on the rear seat wasn't secure on one side, the loose strap or bungee caught in a rear wheel spoke and jammed the wheel as the other side of the pack held tight.
Back to top Go down
Thebreen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2011-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 12:24 pm

but when the rear wheel locks you dont go flying over the handlebars like you would if the FRONT wheel locked! - physics is a female dog.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 pm

**** happens as they say, and motorcycle crashes happen all the time. There's already been quite a few serious and fatal crashes here on North Yorkshire's roads in the last few months. Back in April there were 3 riders killed in separate incidents on one Sunday over in Cumbria where I used to live. There's always fatalities every year over on the Isle of Man when the TT is on, competitors crash in practice or during the races, and there's always TT fans killed riding their own bikes.

There was a fatal crash here in North Yorkshire only last weekend, the rider sustained a broken collar bone and other injuries, and his female passenger was killed.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 10:07 pm

My guess is that my friend does not really remember the exact sequence of events. He knows the pack on the rear seat was the culprit, and likely by coming loose. He is guessing that the rear wheel locked up. All that is certain is that he went flying over the bars, and came to when the EMS were stabilizing his neck on the stretcher. He is still going to attend our weekly gatherings, but he's not going to ride any more.
I respect his decision. He's not a total fool; he's a Veterinarian, albeit now retired.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Friend took a spill and lived.   Friend took a spill and lived. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Friend took a spill and lived.
Page 1 of 1