Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Nt vs SilverWing 600

Go down 
+9
Henry David
lcseds
Waspie
alejom
JeffR
masscoot
bigbird
thomphoto
john grinsel
13 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Nt vs SilverWing 600 Empty
PostSubject: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 4:11 pm

As DAV and stroke somewhat hindered and age 72 thrown in the mix I thought it was time to go back to a motorcycle to insure I re-taught myself all the skills to really ride right---like gas/clutch rear brake coordination/shifting/using feet and legs as well as knees on tank as part of good skilled riding.

So now I have NT700V 2010 left over.10-12 weeks 4500 miles, two long trips, Daytona and Natchez Trace.

Some comparision:

Both weigh about the same=too heavy

NT wins on gas tank 5 gal.

Givi boxes work well on both

Rear Wheel removal bitch on both

Both work fine on OEM Bridgestone tires----both in my use 8-10000 miles a matched set

Reg gas for both.

NT wins on valve adjustment-nut and screw.

High speed mixing it up in heavy traffic, NT is safer.

Gas mileage near same---computer on NT says 56.3 overall so far.

Performance= about same NT at the higher end maybe wins if you really spin the engine.

Cost to buy near same---Cost of ownership? NT insurance about $200 more per year.

NT plastic easier to get off.

Riding position: NT very good---back rest and drink holder types might not like but good for 500 mile days. SilverWing also good it you are in shape and get off every hour.

Wind Management---NT clear winner----SilverWing up to 60mph with Givi adjustable screen tolerable. NT offers fairly still air up to 70-75mph...still not perfect.

So end of 500 mile day----SilverWing buffeting tires me---but getting on and off with step thru easier. NT with my yellow rubber bags on passenger seat requires a little jumping around getting on and off....but good for me.

This is maybe apples and oranges comparision--NT seems to require less diddling and is near turn key---I have Givi Rack, modified NEP throttle stop, front mud flap.

Locked carrying capacity about same----but hard to get at on SilverWing with bags on seat!

Dealers know little of NT as well as SilverWing.

WalMart Oil working fine.

NT no drive belt changing.

So will ride the NT for a year-----next year? New scooter? Sure would like to see some development on scooters 250cc and above----like big gas tanks, easy to remove wheels, easy to work on etc., wind management.

Bathrooms in south remain dirty.

John Grinsel

Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks for that info John. Sounds like you've put them both thru the paces.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 6:01 pm

thomphoto wrote:
Thanks for that info John. Sounds like you've put them both thru the paces.

The NT and the bathrooms?
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks for the comparison John.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 11:20 pm

John,

Thanks for posting the comparison. The NT is the only m/c I really would think about buying at this time. I really like the SWing and it would take a new scooter, that is supposed to be coming out one day, for me to give up the Swing. Or it would be the NT. Thanks for taking the time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 8:17 am

Thank you John for the comparison.

Could you tell us how is the weather protection on the NT? It seems like the upper legs and knees will be fine but the lower legs might get cold/wet.

The main reason I chose a scooter is so I can ride all year regardless of the weather.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 8:45 am

Feet/Wet Protection. I have since the 60's always had scooter on the side because of the dry feet thing.

In really hard rain....like I had on Natchez Trace, first day. SilverWing would have been better.....normal rain or showers SilverWing better. NT your feet get real water blast.

I always carry rubber boots, so my feet don't get wet as long as I take time to put boots on. So day to day scooter is easier to keep feet dry.

Note: I have had a pair of Wolverine boots (China) for about a year that I bought in OK-----never really had chance to give them all day wet test. On last trip I wore them. THEY WORK! feet and socks stayed dry. Because of Sole construction they work better on scooter than on MC foot pegs. Putting foot down, they do not slip!!

John Grinsel

I have gotten wet twice this year, not trip stopper, but wet at end of day. Tourmaster 2 piece suit------it is now retired and on nail in garage. Back to old Joe Rocket XL rain coat. Future---Aerostich Waxed Cotton as about the best compromise for one jacket to take on trips. I wore wax cotton, Belstaff and Barbour
for years----you get dirty, they stink but you stay dry and comfortable. I have also had several Aerostich one piece suits (fine in cooler weather, hard to store) also Darien ---jacket fine, withstood 8 hour typhoon ride in Tokyo. Darien pants also keep you dry if fit right-----I am on second or third pair but have really never come to peace with them --- I prefer bibs.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 10:32 am

bigbird, I am becoming increasingly worried about your 'bathroom' fetish!!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 6:10 pm

I agree with John on most points, especially with the bathrooms.
NT is easier to board by stepping on the foot peg and swinging a leg over if you don't do that already.
I can ride all day on the Silverwing with no discomfort. The NT starts giving me pain within 30 minutes. Butt, back, etc. Thought it would be more comfortable than my old cruiser, but it's not. Different folks, different experiences. But I do like both the NT and the Silverwing. The days my wife doesn't drive the Swing to work, I grab it. Not sure I will stay with the NT too long. I am really looking for a refresh of the Swing and Burgman as well as having a look at that BMW scoot. That may be a year or two, but with a few improvements, I'll switch to a scooter myself.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Waspie wrote:
bigbird, I am becoming increasingly worried about your 'bathroom' fetish!!!! Twisted Evil

As am I.
Back to top Go down
Henry David
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 8:38 pm

John,

Thanks for the excellent comparison of the NT and Silverwing.
Good info.

If ever I sell my Silverwing I think an NT might be the bike of
choice.

Re: The bathrooms.
Are there any places that seem a bit less nasty than others?

Thanks!

Henry David
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Nice comparison. I looked at the NT when it first came out, and although I didn't get a chance to test-ride it, I knew from sitting on it, and checking out the bags, etc. that it wasn't for me.

The fit didn't seem right, and the bag space was pretty bad, IMO. It's a nice machine though, I'm sure it will suit many folks.

Clean bathrooms aren't the only thing the south lacks, they could really use some good food. *shrug*
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Henry David wrote:

Re: The bathrooms.
Are there any places that seem a bit less nasty than others?

Ours, as in in my house, are cleaned meticulously. My wife is vigilant with the Vim and scrub brush. John Grinsel is welcome here anytime.

In Canada our public restrooms usually border on the disgusting. I don't think Tennessee has any monopoly on horrible eating habits and accompanying digestive dysfunction.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 7:26 am

Just thought i'd put my twopence worth in. I had two NT650's the original Deauvilles. On both i had a larger screen, foot deflector,hand deflectors and top box.In my opinion the Deauvilles were much more comfortable in winter as the fairing deflected some heat from the engine to the knees and midriff area. My feet were never cold. the first thing i noticed about the Swing in winter was how cold my feet got.The seat on the Deauville was so uncomfortable i had one specially made for it, but i still got (numb bum) after 2hrs. Although i never rode hundreds of miles in a day, i did ride them nearly every day for 6yrs. Servicing i always do myself on the 650's their were 4 spark plugs as it was twin spark, taking the fairing off was a real pain. Performance wise, yes the Deauville was faster but not much. Both bikes 60-70mls per gallon,the tank on the Deauville holding 19ltrs. I prefer the wing much more relaxed and comfy Smile I might point out taking the rear wheel off was much easier on the swing, but the shaft drive gave me more peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 10:05 am

Before i was interested in a scooter, i was looking at sec. hand Pan European or Deauville.
The DV 650 was a disaster... not fitted me at all.
( 6 foot tall )
Even my knees against the fuel tank was very odd and annoying.
The new 700 was much better.

The SW is ok.
But useless for offroad.

Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Here in the south, we don't have bathrooms; we have pecans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nt vs SilverWing 600   Nt vs SilverWing 600 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nt vs SilverWing 600
Page 1 of 1