Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Transporting Swing in a pickup

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kleikvold
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-07-16

Transporting Swing in a pickup Empty
PostSubject: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:13 pm

I would like to take my Swing along when we go camping. I pull a camping trailer, so I would need to transport the bike in the back of my pickup. I have a Chevy Silverado with a 6.5 ft bed. I am wondering if anyone has tried loading and transporting the bike without the tailgate on the pickup. Since I can't close the tailgate and I can't keep it down while pulling the trailer, I am toying with the idea of transporting the Swing without a tailgate. Has anyone done this?

Also, any words of wisdom for a ramp to get the bike in the back of the pickup?

Thanks,

Kurt.
Back to top Go down
kleikvold
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Also, I measured the Swing this morning and the bed. It looks like the center of the back wheel would be 2.5" in from the end of the bed if the front wheel is all the way up to the front of the bed. Tight fit. I might want to find a way to chock the rear wheel once it is in the bed.

Also, was thinking of using a winch to pull the Swing up the ramp instead of driving it up. That would give me better control over the swing as I am loading.

1. Any thoughts on this idea?
2. Any thoughts on a good place to connect the winch?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Well here it is...Have you ever thought about buying a cheap trailer from Harbor Freight? You can find them on sale once in a while for $150.00 or less. Allot less then replacing expensive Tupperware.

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
kleikvold
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:35 pm

The only thing is that I can't pull a small trailer behind my camper trailer. So, the back of the pickup is the next best place.

And, by the way, I love your quote. That was a great movie.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:46 pm

I had an old HD panhead for 20 years...It just loved to ride in the back of pick-ups. It was a show bike and loading the darn thing into a PU bed was always sheer terror for me. It liked to brake down...alot, on the road. Anyway it was a heart stopping experiance for me. Just glad that bike is long gone.
Back to top Go down
kleikvold
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 4:50 pm

I've heard that before about riding a bike up into the pickup. That is why I was thinking about purchasing a ramp that was 36+ inches wide so I could walk beside the bike and to use a winch to pull it up into the bed and help control the roll back out of the bed. I guess the best solution would be to buy a power ramp, but $2100+ seemed a little steep, so I was thinking of my own hybrid solution.
Back to top Go down
Henry David
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 8:02 pm

I use a nice folding ramp that came from Dennis Kirk.
It fastens to the rear of my pickup and won't slide
away from the truck.

I place a wooden plank next to the motorcycle ramp I
push the scoot up the ramp while walking up the plank.
I and the scoot arrive in the back of the truck at the
same time - no sweat.

Unloading is just the opposite. Again, no sweat.

I use Canyon Dancers on the handlebars to snug the
scoot into place in the front of the truck. Works great.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Henry David
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 11:43 pm

I transported mine in the back of my ranger, all the way from the middle of Arkansas. The rear wheel was sitting on the tailgate
Up Hwy 7. Nothing but curves, and hills.
Did i mention its a 4 cylinder.
With 153 thousand miles.
And the transmission is going out.
Loads of fun!
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 11:46 pm

kleikvold wrote:
I've heard that before about riding a bike up into the pickup. That is why I was thinking about purchasing a ramp that was 36+ inches wide so I could walk beside the bike and to use a winch to pull it up into the bed and help control the roll back out of the bed. I guess the best solution would be to buy a power ramp, but $2100+ seemed a little steep, so I was thinking of my own hybrid solution.

http://www.harborfreight.com/super-wide-tri-fold-loading-ramp-90018.html

I know several people with this one
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 1:09 pm

When I bought my Silver Wing, I transported it in the back of a Toyota with a 6.5' bed. I used a ramp and 3 guys to guide the bike up and down.

Transporting Swing in a pickup 001
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 9:41 am

3 guys! I just got on and backed it down, using the front brake of course!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transporting Swing in a pickup   Transporting Swing in a pickup I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transporting Swing in a pickup
Page 1 of 1