Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 5:50 pm

» noise under load
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Today at 4:16 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Today at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?

Go down 
+48
IrishRob
dickie
surlybiker58
Old Limey
"Hi Yo"
Ishkatan
viclavigne
FlyingWing
larryinseattle
tawarmbrod
TWJ74
toolboxjesse
joncallihan
donkeyhater
Dimond
jdeereanton
scootingranny
Falcon Wing
welchnh
Opalsboy
robert
djevanstn
brendam
kbcmdba
honda_silver
Meldrew
bikerdaryl
goldwing121
exavid
masscoot
roadrunner
tonylumps
Buickguy
john grinsel
buddy19520
bugrod
pancho
skiwoods
Jinglebob
DennisB
alejom
Windrider
bigbird
Waspie
thomphoto
trouble1100
dspevack
tankyuong
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just checked their prices and even an 02's value w/ 35k miles is $10k.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
donkeyhater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:59 am

Wow nice post and info Dimond. I too have been wanting/looking at Goldwings for several months now. Mostly online as the 'one' which excites me has not been found nearby home. I dont want to replace my Silverwing, just add to my stable so I can enjoy some motorcycle touring in the Pacific Northwest.

I am not sure if I will ever buy a Goldwing as my storage/parking space is limited right now. This will be the first winter that my Silverwing will be outside. Just yesterday I received a Speedway Shelter that was an online purchase. I will set it up this weekend and will be my scooters' garage for the winter.

Just yesterday I purchased an 09 Kawasaki klx250s w/ under 500 miles for a song. It looks as new. I will park it in my van for the winter. So that put me even further from my Goldwing purchase LOL
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Why bother to downgrade? alien beamed up
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 4:20 pm

If I had the cashola I would love a yellow one.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 5:50 pm

toolboxjesse wrote:
If I had the cashola I would love a yellow one.

Jesse in Atlanta

I'll take mine in white
Terry in Winnipeg
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Terry, I will take mine in the same color as your swing.
Back to top Go down
TWJ74
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:27 pm

I am a Gold wing rider with 160,000 miles on my wing,I decided to get into a silverwing,because the wing was getting to be a bit too heavy for me and I was starting to feel vulnerable at slow speeds so I bought a new 2010 ABS swing three months ago,it now has about 4,000 miles on it,last week a friend of mine and me toured W.Va. he has a Gold wing 1800 ,I found that my swing was able to do anything that was required throughout all the twisties and mountains as well as being a hoot to ride,believe it or not my Gold wing tired me more on a trip like this than my new swing.At least in my case the swing was a step up,and will allow me to ride a few more years.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 8:26 am

TWJ74 wrote:
I am a Gold wing rider with 160,000 miles on my wing,I decided to get into a silverwing,because the wing was getting to be a bit too heavy for me and I was starting to feel vulnerable at slow speeds so I bought a new 2010 ABS swing three months ago,it now has about 4,000 miles on it,last week a friend of mine and me toured W.Va. he has a Gold wing 1800 ,I found that my swing was able to do anything that was required throughout all the twisties and mountains as well as being a hoot to ride,believe it or not my Gold wing tired me more on a trip like this than my new swing.At least in my case the swing was a step up,and will allow me to ride a few more years.

+1
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 5:40 pm

We have owned three GL’s, an 1100 Interstate that was huge for its time weighing in at 700lbs give or take. A 1500 SE even bigger at almost 800lbs with a silky smooth flat six that made up for it’s behemoth size. And the last was an 1800, about the same weight as the 1500 but handled more to the sport touring side of the equation.

Over the years on a Luxo touring bike I knew the weight would someday play in to the mix, I have arrived at that unthinkable time. The 30 some odd years of climbing poles and transmission towers, my knees and hips are telling me to scale back. The 1800 is going to its new owner next week. Crying or Very sad Sad No pale

On the brighter side of this saga voices in my head told me to look for something a tad lighter but couldn’t find the right fit. As fate would have it a colleague was kicking around the notion of selling his Silverwing. On a whim I bought it as an upgrade for the Burgman but yours truly has been riding it more than than the GL. The problem is my sweetie prefers the Honda over the Suzuki.

To complicate things further she does like to ride two up on occasion. So, the Silverwing stays, the Goldwing is gone, the Burgman is for sale. Yesterday we did a demo ride on a Sport Touring bike with gobs of storage, options that rival the 1800 and is only a few pounds heavier than the Silverwing plus, suits our needs for two-up duty.

So … we are not upgrading to a Goldwing, The Silverwing is at the top of its class and its here to stay.
Back to top Go down
tawarmbrod
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:56 am

I can address this with my opinion, fwiiw....my wife had a silverwing with a tow-pac kit on it and I had a harley....when we went anywhere together, she wanted to ride on the back of the silverwing....and no, I had never dropped her....after driving the silverwing, we both really liked the trike better than the two wheels.....and I did want to do some long distance traveling so we sold both of our bikes and bought a 2004 goldwing trike and we both love it....I drove it across country this summer, going about 7000 miles and was gone three weeks....I do not know if I could have driven that far and that many days in a row on the silverwing...they are both great bikes and I do sometimes wish I still had the silverwing, without the trike kit, to drive around town.....but the goldwing is a lot better if you are going any distance
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 3:56 am

I have a 94 1500 Goldwing and a 05 Silverwing. They compliment each other very well. When I decide to go on a ride, the destination decides what will be the carrier. In town, less than 40 mile destination, it will be the Silverwing every time. 50 miles and some highway... although the Silverwing does it very well, the Goldwing does it with unmatched comfort. Hands down.

There is nothing to compare to. I like them both. I did have an 06 KLX 250 Kawasaki dual sport that just wasn't getting selected, so it got sold. I feel I already have the replacement when the Goldwing gets too heavy for me, or that I decide that motorcycle touring is over for me.

Here is something to consider for you old guys who can't hold one up anymore.

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 Attachment
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 11:06 am

you already have a gold wing....you just havent realized it :-)

https://www.silverwing600.com/t2621-super-mods
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Goldwing No, Integra Maybe, if sold in North Amer. and is priced reasonable.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:10 am

jdeereanton wrote:
Not necessarily planning to upgrade, but am thinking about selling both SilverWings and purchasing a new GoldWing.

Am about 30 hours from completing this transaction, although not a 2012 model.

Two 2005 Silverwings for one 2005 Goldwing (only 5,796 miles). Yeah, had to come up with a little out of pocket as well, but Kim has decided she is done twisting a throttle.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:39 am

jdeereanton wrote:

Two 2005 Silverwings for one 2005 Goldwing (only 5,796 miles). Yeah, had to come up with a little out of pocket as well, but Kim has decided she is done twisting a throttle.

Now that's exciting.
Please post a pic or two.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:08 am

jdeereanton wrote:
jdeereanton wrote:
Not necessarily planning to upgrade, but am thinking about selling both SilverWings and purchasing a new GoldWing.

You should enjoy riding an 1800. What model is it? Color? Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 Postpics
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:17 am

I've actually owned the 2008 model Goldwing. It was a nice bike, but I'm not sure that I really consider it an "upgrade" over the Silverwing. They're different, and fill different wants/needs. The Goldwing was nice, but I'm happier with the Swing.

Vic
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:38 am

I agree, nice bike the Gold Wing but here in the UK many are spoiled with acres of useless chrome bling, body panels painted like a 1980's poodle rockers album cover, more red lights than an Oriental knocking shop, and the obligatory fat lass on the back. Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri May 04, 2012 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:50 am

My other bike is a Goldwing.

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 IMG_2501
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:55 am

Meldrew wrote:
I agree, nice bike the Gold Wing but here in the UK many are spoiled with acres of useless chrome bling, body panels painted like a 1980's poodle rockers album cover, more red lights than an Oriental knocking shop, and the obligatory fat lass on the back. Smile

Yeah, I most likely won't go that route. I'm not too taken with the need to be seen as a bling king. See my signature for an idea of how much I eschew the need to show off the bling.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Man is not monogamous by nature. At least with toys and tools (said for the benefit of she who must be obeyed?)

I plan to get a Goldwing. I am also going to look hard at the Honda NC700X vs. the V-Strom 650 vs. other Adventure Tourers / dual purpose bikes. And at least for now I plan to hang on to the Swing.

The Goldwing has to be a GL1500 because my BIL said so.... and offered to help me evaluate and even tweek what I get in his club's garage. I figure I don't want new/expensive until I learn not to drop the bike at stops. Eventually, I do want a yellow GL 1800 with ABS (contrary to BILs directives Smile but first a learning bike - just like the Swing was my intro to riding at all. The main problem - with the gas price hikes motorcycle riding is on the upswing and a really cheap price is usually a scam. Every time I find an attractive bike my BIL says "too expensive, you can do much better.... ". Well, he did get his at a pretty good price.... and i can wait....

Oh, the GL will be for riding to Philadelphia and other 3+ hr each way destinations. The Adventure bike is for riding down my back hill.... or down the highway until I reach a place I can go off road. But it has to handle 80+ mph on the highway for a couple hours straight. I'm almost tempted to just get a dirt bike and truck it... but I also am looking at commuting with it.

The Swing is likely to stay... it is a great ride down the local twisty roads, might be a trainer for my daughter, for sentimental reason, and if I can get the stability / windshield (Tall Givi) right might remain my work commuter. Half of my 25 mile work commute is on the highway and keeping up with traffic or getting away from the dump trucks means going 75-80+. The Swing does it but not comfortably. It is smooth and comffee only to about 60-65 mph. (Yes, the limit here is 55, but you don't expect the law makers in D.C. to abide by the law...). So, I am planning to try the original windshield before trying the AirFlow and then see what I really want to ride.

But, the Swing is good enough that there is a very good chance that there will be no changes until the end of summer.

Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 3:43 pm

This is my Goldwing loaded for solo camping as I crossed the North Cascades Pass last June, the weekend after it was opened.Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 NCascadesPass
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Dale, Our loss will be Goldwing's gain, but you'll still be a Winger. If you mount your GPS on your helmet, Kim can navigate from the pillion. Smile As Roy said, "Happy trails to you."
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I guess it's all a matter of opinion.I thought my Deauville and i would never part but,time takes it's toll on all of us, and physically i couldn't ride it anymore.I find the Silverwing(after 2yrs of ownership) even better for my needs, and can now throw it around the bends with all the confidence i had in the Deauville.Personally i never wanted a Harley, BMW or Goldwing. As for upgrading to a Goldwing no thank you, i would never be able to ride the Yorkshire Dales single track roads on a monster like that Smile
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 5:18 pm

The Goldwing is not my cup of tea.
It's more of a two wheeled car than a motorcycle
Too expensive and two heavy
I once thought of getting one of the original GL1000's
but never had the money back then to splurge on one.
Now it has grown by two cylinders ,800 cc, and a several hundred pounds
The appeal is lost on me
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 6:42 am

surlybiker58 wrote:
The Goldwing is not my cup of tea.
It's more of a two wheeled car than a motorcycle
Too expensive and two heavy
I once thought of getting one of the original GL1000's
but never had the money back then to splurge on one.
Now it has grown by two cylinders ,800 cc, and a several hundred pounds
The appeal is lost on me

You could be right, but my experience with the Wing has been anything but expensive. I have owned my Wing for 18 months. I bought a 94 Interstate with 27,500 miles on it. I immediately changed all the fluids and mounted two new tires as the bike had been sitting and not rode much in the past three years.

I have now put 20,000 miles on it and the only thing I do is change oil, an occasional brake pad and tires when needed. Yesterday I went to a GWRRA annual maintenance day party and I spoke to several members there who have over 150,000 miles on theirs and they say the same thing, change the oil and ride it.

I have an Amp meter to monitor the exterior alternator (car type) and temp fuel gauge. I get 40 miles per gallon whether or I ride two up or not as long as I keep the speeds at 65 or below.

It is the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned, have put in 700 mile days on it without my butt needing therapy and I am willing to get on the bike the second day. It has the weight capacity to haul two people and their luggage or can pull a trailer without any consequences to the bike.

The low position of the motor, makes the bike very stable and easy to manage even in low speed situations. I have seen some 125 lb women do some incredible slow speed maneuvers on it.

I really appreciate the versatility of the Silverwing, which is why I purchased a second one after I made the mistake of selling the first one. The power and ease of use is great and I really enjoy the onboard storage and just the simplicity of it.

I will be 59 years old in a few months. I am not sure how much more moto-camping long distance touring is in my future. If the long distance touring becomes a thing of the past, then the Silverwing will be the only motorcycle in my stable.

My brother sold his 2003 Indian and bought one after reviewing and riding mine. My other brother has a Honda Helix, which he loves, but is looking for a low mileage Silverwing and he is definitely a one motorcycle type guy.

One can do an occasional tour ride on the Silverwing. Certainly it is capable of long distance travel, but the Goldwing is designed and built for the highway with the utmost comfort for the rider and passenger in mind. The craftsmanship, dependability and reliability is just there. I wish I had purchased a Wing 15 years ago, as some of the other GWRRA members my age had. I made do on many moto-camping trips with quite a bit less in comfort and couldn't haul the camping supplies necessary to make camping a pleasure.

I belong to the Moto-campers website which is primarily Goldwing and Harley owners. The Harley owners in that group have a tremendous amount of respect for the Goldwing as they have camped next too and witnessed its abilities.

No, I am not selling a Goldwing, nor do I work for Honda. I just felt compelled to share my experience with the best made moto-touring bike made. IMO

Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 8:51 am

I have a Goldwing that I have ridden a little and a Silverwing that I ride a lot - my Goldwing needs some work - then I will ride it a lot more. I ride my Silverwing quite often with Goldwings - mostly GL1500s and GL1800s. During 2012 I have been averaging over 500 miles plus each week (last three weeks over 1000 with last week 1400). The roads have been from Southern California to Norther California - Pacific Coast to Nevada - local, county, state, freeway (with quite a bit posted as 70mph) - 350 feet below sea level to 8000 feet in elevation - painfully bumpy (but no gravel/dirt) to wonderfully smooth - calm to 30mph winds - on bike for up to 12 hours with occasional breaks. I have stock suspension, Air Hawk, AF214 Givi, and 24gm Dr Pulley Sliders - wouldn't want to do my rides without the foregoing - except for the suspension that clearly needs some improvement. The SWing has performed flawlessly and has been a great joy - with the following exceptions:
- winds over 15mph impact my top end performance (like to run 80mph indicated on freeways and remote roads in good shape).
- bumpy straight roads impact speed dramatically and beat me up.
- bumpy twisties require significant speed reduction as compared to smooth twisties as the SWing skits around if the pavement is not smooth.

If the roads are not less than 15mph and roads are relatively smooth, the SWing is an equal match (not better - just about equal) for the Goldwings that I ride with (in terms of keeping up - not necessarily comfort); however, in high winds or on a bumpy road they leave me in the dust (plus I am danged uncomfortable). It is hard to go slow on a bumpy road when you have been riding for hours at high speed - the end result is that bumpy roads beat me up. There are not many bumpy roads in California that I choose to travel (i.e., they can be avoided) - but sometimes I get caught on one and to turn back would mean a very long detour.

In summary, for me, the SWing is no match for a Goldwing when the route involves bumpy roads or high winds. When I ride solo I pick the roads - and they are not bumpy - and the wind is easily taken care of by dropping speed a bit. I agree 100% with what LarryInSeattle has stated in his prior post. And Ishkatan, my assessment with my SWing and stock windshield regarding wind was just as you stated BEFORE I got and AF214 - now wind (at less than 15mph which covers most of California weather) is a non-factor, so go buy your AF214 as you won't be sorry.

Tour with a Goldwing - kick about with a Silverwing - and try not to mix what they are each best at. So, if you want to do both - have 2 bikes! Also, IMHO I can't say that one is better than the other as they are each the best but for different usage.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:29 am

Yesterday I rode my silverwing 170 miles to visit a friend in the shadow of Mt rainer. The day before I rode my goldwing 200 miles to the Canadian border to visit a GWRRA chapter maintenance party. I was smiling both days to be fortunate to have both.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:37 am

larryinseattle wrote:
Yesterday I rode my silverwing 170 miles to visit a friend in the shadow of Mt rainer.

Shouldn't that be Mt Rainier. Neutral
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:38 am

Prolly

Typing on this phone is not easy.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:43 am

Take it off your Silver Wing then. Smile
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Lord willing, Pat and I will be taking an all summer motorcycle trip starting June 11th after our grandaughter graduates from High School. I finally retired April 1st. This will probably be our last real long distance ride and are just going to mosey along and enjoy it. Probably be back home around September. No firm plans but will be seeing Ashville, Barber Motorcycle Museum, Texas Hill Country 3 sisters ride, Alamo, Rt 66 from Tulsa to LA with Grand Canyon and London Bridge among others along the way. ( we have ridden Tulsa to Chicago ) From there it is just whatever grabs our fancy. We have managed to ride to 44 states and much of Canada so far by taking limited short vacations each year. We will be riding our 1989 GL1500 Gold Wing and pulling a Leisure Lite camping trailer. I agree with the other Gold Wing owners that have commented above. The GW and SW are both great machines but each is suited for a different purpose. I will probably be downsizing the GW when we return because at my age the old girl is just getting to be a bit much for my physical condition. We will hate to see it go as it seems like part of the family because it's been around so long. I have always had a smaller motorcycle for general running around on so the GW has less than 70,000 miles on it today. The SW is a great all around machine but can't match the GW for long distance touring no matter how much we would like and want it to.
One thing I would like to make clear is that long distance touring can be done and accomplished on anything from a moped to the biggest cruisers out there as long as a person reliazes the limitations of what they are riding. And most importantly you will have fun no matter what you are on. Touring and long distance riding has a lot to do with attitude. Start with a smile and end with great memories. Thanks for listening...Dick
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 4:01 pm

dickie wrote:
No firm plans but will be seeing Ashville, Barber Motorcycle Museum, Texas Hill Country 3 sisters ride, Alamo,

When will you be riding these??
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 4:21 pm

We will appreciate the ride reports and pictures.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Honda_Silver wrote:

I can't put a firm date on these as our travel each day will be whatever we feel like doing. The main objective is to see the sites and country along the way.

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 10:27 pm

dickie wrote:
Honda_Silver wrote:

I can't put a firm date on these as our travel each day will be whatever we feel like doing. The main objective is to see the sites and country along the way.

Now that sounds like a wonderful plan. I'm not jealous. I'm not! I'm not! Oh Heck, yes I am. Have a wonderful and safe time. cheers
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 3:10 am

Dickie, I love your attitude. Have a fabulous trip.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 5:52 am

Dickie,

Less than a month away now. As you know, the planning is just as important and fun as the trip itself.

Are you gonna make it up to the Northwest? If you do, I would love to buy you and your wife a dish of NW ice cream and a world famous cup of coffee.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Larryinseattle,
Yes we will be passing thru Washington state if all goes well. Just can't put a date or time when that will be. Thanks for the offer....
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 11:08 pm

When you get closer.... I would enjoy meeting you and yours.
Back to top Go down
IrishRob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:07 am

Since I live in the Evergreen State also, albeit on the dry side, and also have a Goldwing and a Silverwing, I, too would be up for a meet and greet.

Rob
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:14 am

IrishRob wrote:
Since I live in the Evergreen State also, albeit on the dry side, and also have a Goldwing and a Silverwing, I, too would be up for a meet and greet.

Rob

Next weekend there is a GWRRA gathering in kenniwick that I am considering attending. Do you belong to the gwrra?
Back to top Go down
IrishRob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Larry:

Yes I do belong to GWRRA and the local chapter here is "L"...we will be out of town taking a long overdue R&R at the lake. Maybe we can get together next time you head over the mountains.

Rob
Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 12:53 pm

HA, funny thread.

Silverwing is heavy.
Goldwing is vastly heavier.
If you want a light bike, get a 125 scooter.

Silverwing is a big bike.
Goldwing is a bigger bike.
If you want a small bike, get a 125 scooter.

Siverwing is powerful.
Goldwing is vastly more powerful.

Siverwing has limited gizmos
Goldwing has loads.

Silverwing is comfortable.
Goldwing is vastly more comfortable.

Silverwing is easy to mount.
Goldwing is easy to mount but not as easy as a SW

Silverwing is automatic.
Goldwing is not.

Silverwing is expensive.
Goldwing is vastly more expensive.
If you want a cheap bike, get a 125 scooter.

Silverwing has good handling, high and low speed.
Golding has better handling, high and low speed.
There are many, many other bikes with better handling than SW or GW.

I could go on.

I have the use of both a SW and a GW.
There is no comparison to which I believe is the better bike.
An automatic GW would be nice.

Don't get me wrong I think the SW is one of the best bikes made, but a SW is a toy compared to a GW.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Walt981 wrote:
HA, funny thread.

Silverwing is heavy.
Goldwing is vastly heavier.
If you want a light bike, get a 125 scooter.

Silverwing is a big bike.
Goldwing is a bigger bike.
If you want a small bike, get a 125 scooter.

Siverwing is powerful.
Goldwing is vastly more powerful.

Siverwing has limited gizmos
Goldwing has loads.

Silverwing is comfortable.
Goldwing is vastly more comfortable.

Silverwing is easy to mount.
Goldwing is easy to mount but not as easy as a SW

Silverwing is automatic.
Goldwing is not.

Silverwing is expensive.
Goldwing is vastly more expensive.
If you want a cheap bike, get a 125 scooter.

Silverwing has good handling, high and low speed.
Golding has better handling, high and low speed.
There are many, many other bikes with better handling than SW or GW.

I could go on.

I have the use of both a SW and a GW.
There is no comparison to which I believe is the better bike.
An automatic GW would be nice.

Don't get me wrong I think the SW is one of the best bikes made, but a SW is a toy compared to a GW.

Well written. Thank you.

Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 6:04 pm

PS.

Siverwing has good brakes.
Goldwing has phenomenal brakes.

I am talking about the GL1800, can't really comment on other Goldwings.
Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 5463tg10
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 2:59 am

Walt981 wrote:
Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 5463tg10

That is a great looking pair of bikes.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:44 am

Seriously, a Goldwing has better low speed handling than a
Silverwing ?

At least I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to buy my
Silverwing

New GL1800's are running over $24k in my neck of the woods,
More if you want all the bells and whistles.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 2:22 am

Why is there this constant need on here to compare a six cylinder manual geared motorcycle with a two cylinder automatic maxi scooter. My own view is that any sense of good taste and style you may have once possessed usually disappear when you become a Gold Wing owner. If you think I'm being the grumpy old git I most certainly am, just look at the way the owners 'customise' and spoil a good looking motorcycle.

What other motorcycle do you see that the owner has tarted up with acres of useless chrome tat, covers over the front disc brakes being a prime example and if you can fit a dozen coloured lights on them too, then so much the better. The flags, aerials, holders for everything from cold drinks to dentures, fluffy toys and furry seats, are bad enough, but the riders like to emblazon their Gold Wings with large fancy lettering calling themselves or their bikes "The Terminator" or something similar. Rolling Eyes

I don't think a Stealth version of a Gold Wing would sell.

Back to top Go down
Walt981
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 2:29 am

surlybiker58 wrote:

Seriously, a Goldwing has better low speed handling than a
Silverwing ?

At least I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to buy my
Silverwing

New GL1800's are running over $24k in my neck of the woods,
More if you want all the bells and whistles.

HA, you don't realise how lucky you are.

GW UK price is £24,000 = $37,700
SW UK price is £6500 = $10,000
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?   Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone Plan to Upgrade to Goldwing?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next