Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 10:31 am

» New to Me Swing
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Cycle license I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cycle license

Go down 
+11
jabez205
Tripod
Bobben
bigbird
Sweendog
john grinsel
Buickguy
jdeereanton
Waspie
dspevack
GaryT
15 posters
AuthorMessage
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 7:28 am

Back when i was a kid ( 18 ) i got my motor cycle license. Just had to take a written test + drive the cycle around the block. After several yrs i let them expire.

Last wed. I took the written test , past it A+. Now in IL. you have to drive in a small rectangle area , dodging 5 orange cones + 3 other test which are not all that hard , I'm thinking.

I took my swing up yesterday to run threw the course so in hopes of taking the test this week. Well , now I have a small problem.........I couldn't get the swing to dodge all the cones , you know like tring leading a horse to water.

My swing acted the same way. Know matter how hard I tried she wouldn't do it , she must be half jackass.

Now I think I need to locate a much small cycle to past this test. PRAY for me !!!!

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 am

Gary,
A smaller bike might make it easier, but don't people take those same tests on Goldwings and pass?

Are you familiar with friction zones and slow speed maneuver drills?
Maybe this is a challenge to improve skills?

Dan
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 am

Watch and learn!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegpNBY7DIc&feature=related

Amazing control.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 1:05 pm

It can be done. Practice, practice, practice. The MSF course is a good place to gather a bit of extra practice. If you are an experienced rider the Experienced Riders Course is still a good place to gain some additional insight or simply to reacquaint yourself with the principles.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 pm

You should also be able to take the MSF Basic Rider Course, use their bikes and most states waive the riding test with a valid certificate of completion.
Many insurance companies also offer a discount for riders who have passed the BRC.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Pass it on bike you plan use in streets. Of Course can be done---Learn gas/brake coordination, remembering SilverWing has linked brakes--- slight gas use brakes as balancing aid, look where you are going. Thrust yourself around cones. SilverWing is not hard to ride.

Otherwise basic rider course from MSF.

You can also practice on own.....but you need to know how to do right way.

Rider tests in US are not hard.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:25 pm

I have never felt the urge to quote John Grinsel before, but this one time he has an indisputable pearl of wisdom.

"Pass it on bike you plan to use in streets."

It is absolutely the safest thing you can do.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:44 pm

The S'wing is fully capable of passing any of the standard DMV drive tests out there. The guy testing in front of me when I took the road test on my Swing passed the test with only one cone nudge, and he was riding a Harley Streetglide --a pig of a bike, that he rode through the course with one less fault than I did on the scoot. (I rubbed two cones.)

You need to get out and practice slow, controlled riding. Go to youtube, and search for "ride like a pro" and similar videos, which will go over basic techniques for the type of riding you'll need to do.

Some general pointers I can give are:
1) NEVER look down in front of you at the cone or line, ALWAYS look where you want the bike to go. Look into the turn or through the cone path you're heading towards, not the cone you're going around.
2) Keep the rear brake about 10% applied. When going slow on the Swing, keeping a slight pressure on the rear brake works very similar to keeping a motorcycle in the 'friction zone' which helps keep the scoot's clutch fully engaged.
3) Practice tight U-turns. You should be able to make a complete U-Turn on the Silverwing in about 18' or less space. Practive on a side street, or better yet in a vacant parking lot --parking stall lines are generally 9' wide, so if you can enter just inside one stall line, and make your U-Turn within the outside line of the next stall over, you're doing good.
4) PRACTICE.

You can do it!
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 9:40 am

I don't know anything about driving test lane in other states but IL. 30' wide 70' long. The nose cone test, every other one is off set 18" which makes it a little harder for me. I'm sure with alittle more practice I can do it.

I was going to take my test to day but after the storms we had lastnight it's on hold for another day. Maybe tomorrow. My the way my Givi airflow shield is coming today.

Back to top Go down

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 am

Wow, skills?

When I took mine in Virginia (yes, it was about 20 years ago) all you had to do was drive around the block in front of the DMV.

I was told the written part was challenging though, in fact when I loaned my bike to a friend to take the test (I rode it there and waited for him outside) he walked out with his head hung low. He failed the written part and never even got a chance to take the driving part.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 5:44 pm

When I passed my test in the UK we never had a cone type test.

We had to carry out a U-turn at slow speed normally on a narrow street without placing a foot on the ground. Sounds simple but it was probably the biggest failure of slow speed testing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:38 pm

I took my road test in 1967. Helmet radios were just being introduced for testing. The tester followed behind me in a car and was to relay his instructions to me as we drove through heavy urban traffic. His instructions were:
"If the radios fail, which they probably will, I'll honk at you. One honk turn left, two honks turn right."

The radios never did work, and after the first honk he disappeared from my rear view mirrors. I drove around the block to meet him back at the parking lot of the testing office. He showed up 5 minutes later, and said, "Well, you made it back safely. You obviously know what you're doing. Go inside and get your motorcycle licence."

I can honestly say, compared to today's mandatory motorcycle safety course combined with 1 written and 2 graduated road tests, that I learned nothing about the safe operation of a motorcycle. Yes, I could shift gears, brake, balance, and counter steer with the best of them, but I had no idea as to the SAFE operation of a bike. Yes, I rode shirtless and helmetless as a teenager. But who didn't? Thank goodness during that time that I was lucky enough to avoid any accidents.
Back to top Go down
Bobben
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-13

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Hello.
I took my light motorcycle licence (up to 125 ccm) and it automaticly extended to unlimited ccm at age 18.
Even in the old days (and onwards) the rule number 1,2 and 3 was/is never to loose rev on the engine.
On other vario scoots i held in the front brake, and then zoom off.
How will this work on honda´s combined braking?
I have also noticed your speed limit is not allways 55 mph or am I mistaken here?
Maybe different speedlimits in different states ?
Back to top Go down
Tripod
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tripod

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Here in WA State, one of the hardest elememts of the bike test is braking.

(If I remember correctly), you must bring the bike up to no less than 25mph, but no more tha 30. Maintain for five seconds, then stop in a six foot box.

Wrong speed, fail. Brake too early or late, fail. Early foot plant, fail. Sushi and wine at the ballpark, fail. Ok, I made that one up.

If you watch your speedo, you miss the box. You watch the box, you miss the speed. I did it on my old 250cc Tank, but that day I saw some guys fail that part of the test. I wouldn't want to do it again.
Back to top Go down
jabez205
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-04-17

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Just did my road test today   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Yeah, I did the same thing. Re-tested yesterday (written) & today (road test)after 20 years with no license. Just bought a Swing & had to get my license back.

I live in Kansas & we have the same slow-speed requirements. Four different manuevers & none were easy. I passed it, but just barely... Like you - I had particular trouble with the cones.
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 4:51 pm

I took my road test today......not a perfect score but I passed !!!!!!! Surprised
Back to top Go down

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Great going Gary!! cheers
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Well done!
A Pass is a Pass. Smile
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Congratulations on passing. If you did it on the Silverwing, more congratulations!

I took my skills test about a year ago on my Chinese 150 scoot. 12" wheels and 240 lbs weight make it easier to handle than they Silverwing. It also had front and rear disc brakes that stopped on a dime. I still knocked over one cone - they put down those one-foot tall cones instead of regular height ones. They drop out of your peripheral vision easily.

And to answer the poster from Norway, speed limits in the USA are set by the individual states. Highways are usually 65-75 mph, but some states are running 80 mph limits now (western USA is pretty big, with a lot of distance between cities).
Back to top Go down
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 5:41 am

The highest speed limit that I have seen in the USA is on interstate 10 in west Texas it was 85 MPH.
Back to top Go down
GaryT
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 6:17 am

My skill test I rented a Yamaha TW 200 from a Honda dealer 70 miles away. Lucky me the license building was just across the st. The other 3 dealers didn't have ins to rent a mike out.

You know that bike had elect start & she made me kick start it,at this day & age ? I suppose if I had used a model T with elect start she would of made me use the crank .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cycle license Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle license   Cycle license I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cycle license
Page 1 of 1