Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World

Go down 
+6
Johnnygone
Meldrew
The Scootist
toolboxjesse
johnd
carlosw
10 posters
AuthorMessage
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I don't know if this has been posted or not but in the last Cycle World magazine there was an article with the riding impressions of the Honda Silverwing.

Here it is on their site:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/07/10/honda-silver-wing-riding-impression/
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 7:55 pm

All right! The price is right, Now, it they should add a larger trunk and a larger windshield and I might be interest, because that is all that our Super bike needs.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:04 am

Every shortcoming of the SW has an inexpensive solution. An adjustable shield like the GIVI AF, Progressive springs for more precise handling, Dr Pulley Sliders for better, smoother acceleration and lower engine noise at speed, and a good bluetooth audio system in my helmet, and I really have no complaints.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:45 am

Very good point Jesse. I would also add that there is a very good chance that you can shop around and find a hold over model at a dealership for much less than the list price. Last summer I paid only $6,499 for a new 2009.
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:46 pm

I think that while it can be improved, the Silverwing is a great ride as is. I never stop surprising myself about how much I like to ride this, how easy it is, how much I enjoy the no shifting, the current storage, etc.

In other words my experience is 90% positive and while I could see that it can be improved, the fact is that some of these points can be handled easily...

If Honda wanted to do something right, they would compare is to the BMW scooter and work on making the weak points better, they surely can because the platform is already great. The BMW seems to be a great machine too, so it could be a "target" for Honda to achieve and surpass.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 am

carlosw wrote:
If Honda wanted to do something right, they would compare is to the BMW scooter and work on making the weak points better, they surely can because the platform is already great. The BMW seems to be a great machine too, so it could be a "target" for Honda to achieve and surpass.

Honda have got it right, BMW's scooter has quality control issues that have stopped it going on sale. It seems only the press hacks have ridden it, not Joe Public.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am

Yes, some times the "riders" compare times and speeds that are so ridiculously similar and make a big fuss about a small performance advantage when it is absolutely insignificant in the real world. I have had zero issues with my Silverwing and love the way it rides and it ha plenty of performance well over the normal speed limits.

Back to top Go down
Johnnygone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Johnnygone

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:21 am

I don't think the number of years a model has been out means that much. If it's a good bike it's a good bike. I have an old Harley that a lot of new Harley riders would trade for in a sec.... I love my Silverwing, it gets me down the road just fine. There are always some goodies you can get for it which is better than getting a new bike sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 6:21 am

Yes, but you've stuck a sidecar on the side of your Silver Wing which has reduced it to being a three wheeled tug, the same goes with converting it to a trike, or fitting those weird outrigger wheels, it's no longer the maxi scooter that Honda designed.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Read the Cycle World article....but don't remember what it said----but nice to see them include it in magazine.

Right now Maxi Scooter market appears dead in my part of the world....in Dalton GA Suzuki dealer this
AM on parts run---3 2011 Burgmans on floor--2 650 and 1 400.

Comment on SilVerWing Sidecar (trike/training wheels) wonder if drive a fair amount, let's say 30,000 miles a year, how long drive line lasts? Rubber band drive not designed for that---and steering damper, braked wheel, reduced overall gearing? Remember 20 years ago, German mag
Motorrad had test on Helix with sidecar, with TUV approval---it ate belts every 3000-4000 km---I drove Sidecar outfits for over 40 years so have some idea=fun but different skill set.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Meldrew wrote:
carlosw wrote:

Honda have got it right, BMW's scooter has quality control issues that have stopped it going on sale. It seems only the press hacks have ridden it, not Joe Public.

+1

Yea, im still here.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Meldrew is correct, BMW appear to struggling with their scooter. I am on the mailing list for the launch and I haven't had a peep from them for months so I don't think anything is imminent. Lots of fanfare at the end of last year and test rides in all the comics then total silence !
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 5:59 pm

If I had to trike, I'd either do it with my current Shadow or pick up a Goldie trike. Shaft drives work better than others since the output shaft can be hooked up to a differential.
Back to top Go down
Johnnygone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Johnnygone

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm

So Meldrew, I guess I have turned my Silverwing into a tug? I suppose
when I came out of my coma and finally got to where I could get around with a cane some, that I said the heck with it and wanted to ride anyway. I can't ride my Harley anymore so I guess I'll just have to change my belts more often and drive my old 'tug' around. And a good sidecar set up right doesn't add too much rolling resistance or mass to it. And we can take the grandchild along or get groceries. I've 10 or 11 other bikes starting in about 1964 and they all had good or poor points. The main thing is to enjoy riding and don't worry too much about what others think about your 'setup'.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 5:43 pm

Johnnygone wrote:
So Meldrew, I guess I have turned my Silverwing into a tug? I suppose when I came out of my coma and finally got to where I could get around with a cane some, that I said the heck with it and wanted to ride anyway.

Sorry to hear about your problem, I was also wandering about for a few weeks with a stick last year after my stroke. I now understand why you have a sidecar, but by adding that third wheel you've changed the nature of the beast from maxi scooter to sidecar outfit, and your Silver Wing is now a sidecar tug. But it works for you, that's fine.

Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 pm

No bike is perfect but I consider the Silverwing to be very close as is. Of course people have different needs and tastes and a little customization make the bike more "personal" and more apt for one own preferences and needs. That be a windshield, tire, seat, etc.

But for sure the basic Silverwing is one of the best platform around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World   Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing riding impressions on Cycle World
Page 1 of 1