Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat won't lock down???

Go down 
+4
joncallihan
Opalsboy
DennisB
Skippy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Seat won't lock down??? Empty
PostSubject: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 10:57 am

As the title of my message suggest, my seat is refusing to lock down, the fault started intermitently a while ago and has now got to the stage this afternoon where it won't lock at all.

I've had a look at the fische on Ron Ayers site, but its a little confusing and not very explanatory either.

Can somebody have a look at their bike and tell me if you can see a spring across the mechanisum of the rear mounted lock please??

I think this might be a major part of the problem as I don't seem to have one, and the fische appears shows one next to the lock on Rons website.......

This is annoying to say the least not especially as I spent a short while this afternoon fitting a Givi backrest for Sally - now I want to take the bike out for her to test the rest, but I'm not going to until the seat locks down safely and properly.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Addendum: having tided up, I mentioned the problem to the 'in house expert' on all things mechcanical and she says having also looked at the fische there is a spring missing.......!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 11:54 am

Skippy,

Try a spray lube like WD40 on both catches. Just a little bit should do it.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Hey Skippy.... occasionally I have to put my left hand kinda in the middle of the sear (middle of front to back)... while pushing down on rear of seat with my right. Even have to do that sometimes to get seat to unlatch. Doesn't happen often. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Dennis, done that! Smile

Gary, yep tried that too Smile

I deffo think I'm missing a spring in the mechanisum thats stopping the lock from 'locking'.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Skippy,
I just took a look at the rear latch. There is a spring about 2 inches long about a quarter inch in diameter across the parts of the latch that the cable is attached to. I suspect the middle latch is the same, but I couldn't see in well enough to swear to it.

Jon

The diagram here
http://hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=529301&category=Scooters&make=Honda&year=2007&fveh=12146

shows the springs on both latches.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Besides the WD40 trick, make sure nothing in the box touches the seat pan.

Storage space looks big---you put junk in but there can be some contact with seat bottom and this makes latching hard or impossible---be gentle.

Sometimes a gentle hand is need to align the seat and latch, must be centered.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 pm

John and all else above,

Nothing is going to fix this latch with a missing spring except a replacement spring.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 pm

The part Number for the spring:

SPRING, SEAT CATCH
77236-GBL-000
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Other than the possibility of the battery dying because of the storage box light staying on due to the seat being unlocked I can't see where riding with the seat unlocked would be a safety hazard anyway. As long as your rump is on the seat it's not going to come up. If you hit a big enough bump to bounce you off the seat it wouldn't have mattered if it was fastened. Admittedly you'll need to fix it but for the time being...
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:47 am

Thanks all,

Oddly enough the light in my 'boot' doesn't work, and I suspect it may well be because somebody removed the bulb to stop it draining the battery!

A seat that will not lock down is an MoT (yearly roadworthyness test) failure here in the UK. I agree it is doubtful that its muc of a problem or will be the cause of an accident, but could become one if I was involved in an accident and anything I was carrying came away from the bike.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 5:24 pm

My seat takes gentle aligning and a push down to latch. As long as the seat is not sliding around it wouldn't bother me if it didn't latch. It would be a nusiance and I would fix it though as Skippy is going to do. Also it would not provide protection of items stored inside while parked at various places. I just would not be to concerned about it being safe while riding prior to fixing it. Just my opinion.
In 1970 my ride was a YR1 Grand Prix 350 Yamaha and I rode it around for a week or two with a pillow for a seat while the seat was being reapolstered.
Anyway enjoy the ride...Dick
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Well, problem solved.... First thing this morning I headed off down to see a mate at the local Honda dealers and borrowed the keys for a Swing on the shop floor. A quick scooby under seat revealed exactly what we had assumed - there was a spring missing on my bike.

I pondered for a couple of minutes weather to order a genuine spring from the dealers or make do with local supply. Being skint (and tight) I opted for the latter and headed off over to a vehicle parts suppliers where I have an account.

I purchased a blister pack compression springs for less than £1 and made my way home - not to be out done I also got a can of WD40 just in case and some screen wash for Sals car.

Having had lunch, I set to in the garage on the bike. This is literally the first time I've lifted a spanner in anger against Betty and I was wary about panel removal. Having been tasked in the past with stripping down various sports bikes etc. I didn't want to crack a thin mounting strip ect. Anyway, I was pleasently surprised to find that the whole lot came off simply. Having got the body work of the rear of the bike it was a simple proceedure to select a likely looking spring and pop it into place. A quick check that the lock worked and I was a well happy chappy.

So I reassembled everything and took a sup of coffee.......... My mate Baz then turns up, asks what I'm up to - so I proudly show him my 'fix' - which promptly stops working and the spring falls off the mounts............

With that feeling one only gets when somebody else smirks, I proceeded to remove all the bodywork again and fish out the offending spring.... I then selected a shorter version and mounted it up - much better, as it remained under slight tension at the rest position.

So on with all the bodywork for a second time! I gave the whole lot a hefty shove to check it all still held in place and on second thought for now decided not to replace the boot bulb somebody else had previously removed until such time as I can assure my self this problem isn't going to arise again....

There again I might just order the right spring from Honda on Monday.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 7:09 am

Sorted!

Well done Skippy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Skippy,

Happy to hear you have that problem on the run.
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 5:22 am

Thanks Gents, a most satisfactory result if I do say so myself and solved for very little expendiiture (which is always my favorite part Smile ).
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Good job Skippy,....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat won't lock down???   Seat won't lock down??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat won't lock down???
Page 1 of 1