Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 pm

» New to Me Swing
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Getting the Swing on its centre stand

Go down 
+8
honda_silver
robert
jdeereanton
tankyuong
john grinsel
MikeO
Waspie
Tamjay
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Getting the Swing on its centre stand Empty
PostSubject: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:14 am

Are there any lady SWing owners out there who find it impossible to put the scoot up on its centre stand?

For the life of me, I cannot do it on my own - I have to enlist the help of a strong chap!!!

There must be a knack that I haven't mastered yet.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:47 am

Laurie I'm defo not a lady but do have a weak right shoulder that hampers me at times.

I find the wing easier than my 400 Burger to get on the centre stand. My technique is to use my body weight through my right foot which is being used to place the centre stand on the ground and slightly rocking back with my left arm.

Probably what your doing but may be down to weight distribution!!! (I'm a 12-1/2 stone geeza!!!) Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 6:02 am

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 11:18 am

First learn proper technique or have someone show you.

#1 left hand on bar, right on passenger hand grip----gloves help

#2 no dancing shoes

#3 move bike forward and quickly back, when bike
is in motion, step on stand and up she goes, no effort.

Of course you should be on the level, solid ground, pavement.

If you are a little unsteady and fear bike falling----practice pushing bike backwords around in circles just to get feeling. People who work in bike/scooter shops and put bikes out and in for display everyday are good at it.

When I used to run bike schools---I always it seemed, often to end up with macho man and his big mouth, saying no training needed as "he had been doing it for 30 years and laid down his Harley in TN"....not the way to avoid accidents. So to get things under control, I would ask for his key, the ask him to push his bike (hand on bars and grab rail) thru a set of cones......after a couple of cones, they would usually end up on top of bike, with bike on ground. Then getting the cooperation was easy----my comments were if you cannot push your bike around with the key out how without ending up on ground.....how can we trust your skills riding it without some proper training?

I as weakened stroke person have no trouble getting SilverWing up on centerstand, using described technique.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 11:55 am

You can go withe darkside tire and it's real easy
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:35 pm

tankyuong wrote:
You can go withe darkside tire and it's real easy
I love the conjunction 'withe'.

While the car tyre may make some aspects of putting the bike on the centre (nod to the original poster) stand easier, it does not in and of itself make the complete task a simple matter.

Although I do understand that using a car tyre (staying with it) on a motorbike does lead to a decrease in colon cancer. And this from Frank Zappa, "...you might not believe this little fella, but it'll cure your asthma too."
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi Tamjay, I'm 67 and don't have the strengh I used to, I roll the rear tire on a small piece of plywood, it raises the scoot just enough for you to get it up on the stand...Ride Safe, Robert in Az.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:50 pm

robert wrote:
I roll the rear tire on a small piece of plywood, it raises the scoot just enough for you to get it up on the stand.

Raising the rear tire does make raising the center stand much easier.

Which is the same trick that the Darkside tire does, it raises the rear axle by ( 0.82" diameter increase / 2) == 0.41" inches.

So you could experiment with different side pieces to determine which height would work best for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Another thought: many folks try to lift the bike onto the centerstand, which is difficult to do. I use my right foot to press the center stand to the ground, then lean the bike to make sure both feet of the stand are flat on the ground. Then I step straight down on the centerstand while keeping my right hand on the passenger grip and my left hand on the left handgrip. It really does not take much force to get the bike up onto the stand. I find this easier than trying to roll the bike backwards onto the stand.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:06 pm

I use the same technique as Vito, except that I lift on the passenger grip at the same time that I stand on the centerstand. Works every time for me. Incidently, this is the same technique I used to get my GoldWing on it's center stand as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 5:09 pm

I used to think this was really difficult when watching my father-in-law park his burgman 650; having my own SW, I discovered it takes no effort at all.

1. Stop the bike and pull out the kickstand and do not use the parking brake
2. Step out of the bike and stand on the center stand and let your weight push the bike upwards.
3. Lightly guide it backwards
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 1:18 am

It's 99% technique and 1% strength to get the SW on the center stand. I've done it with a bare foot once. The real critical thing is to put a bit of pressure on the stand pedal and rock the bike slightly feeling for both stand feet to be on the ground. Once you've got it centered on the stand feet bear down on the pedal and pull up a bit on the passenger grab bar and up she rises. Don't overdo the 'umph' factor or the bike will pop up and slide a bit backwards on the stand. Of course the SW feels light to me since I've got a lot of practice putting my Goldwing on it's center stand.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:49 am

GaryL wrote:
I use the same technique as Vito, except that I lift on the passenger grip at the same time that I stand on the centerstand. Works every time for me. Incidently, this is the same technique I used to get my GoldWing on it's center stand as well.

This is the process that I've been trying, but alas, I'm not strong enough Sad

But thanks for all your tips guys. The bike has been put to bed for the winter (on its centre stand, but not by me!!), so I'll come back to this topic when she's ready to be woken up.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
dwOhio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwOhio

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 am

I have never had problems getting the Swing up on it's center stand. I probably will now, reading how so many people do have trouble.
Back to top Go down
Peach
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:20 am

I can get it on the stand with some difficulty. I stand on it with BOTH feet until it "catches". I have the worst time getting it off without it going down. That's how I dropped her once and I felt like an idiot. Then I couldn't get her up by myself (wet grass) and had to call my dad for assistance! I felt like I was 17 again, but not in the good way!
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 am

I have no problem getting it off the stand. I stand astride the bike and rock if forwards and backwards until it comes off. Make sure you have the side stand down - just in case!!

Laurie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting the Swing on its centre stand   Getting the Swing on its centre stand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting the Swing on its centre stand
Page 1 of 1