Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Carving a Donor Seat

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

Carving a Donor Seat Empty
PostSubject: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Just bought this on EBAY Want to do a little carving on my seat but was a little leary about taking a knife to it. So will use this as a donor and see if I can get the Vinyl back without any waves after carving. I think the price was good. Will be sneaking the electric carving knife down to the garage Tony
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350391997790&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Just a suggestion.....carve the bottom section of foam or remove and add different density material. NEVER alter the top layer.

For a fraction of the cost of a Corbin you could send your experimental seat off to this guy .....

http://greatdaytoride.com

I had a stock seat from a CB900F (919) redone by Spencer a few years back. I plan on having my Silverwing seat done this winter.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 4:42 am

Ron I wanted to Narrow the seat a little and lower it. I thought about Dishing the center but Think that would be a problem. But will keep Spencer in mind. On my other Bike I used Meancitycycles They kept the original shape but took enough out to add a gel pad and memory foam But will experiment with this If it does not work I could sell it Tony
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Seat came today wanted to repair the vinyl first so peeled back the seat cover. Have to carve off the top because the foam is molded to the pan and if I carve from the bottom the pan would stick out from the foam. Has anyone lowered there seat or narrowed it Think i will try it over the weekend. Tony
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:43 am

trouble1100 wrote:
Just a suggestion.....carve the bottom section of foam or remove and add different density material. NEVER alter the top layer.

For a fraction of the cost of a Corbin you could send your experimental seat off to this guy .....

http://greatdaytoride.com

I had a stock seat from a CB900F (919) redone by Spencer a few years back. I plan on having my Silverwing seat done this winter.

Ron,

I emailed spencer and asked if he still did scooter seats, since I heard that he stopped doing scooter seats, and he did say that he no longer works on scooter seats. He said it was the high cost of shipping and that riders were expecting different results for what they got. Maybe they thought they were going to get a corbin or something. But I was wanting to have this done a couple years ago but read somewhere that he stopped doing scooter seats. That's too bad since all the reviews I have read was that he does a great job.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 11:34 am

That throws a wrench in to my winter upgrade schedule. I will say he did a fantastic job on my 919 seat.

I found a similar site that advertizes prices that are a bit higher than Spencer’s, which along with shipping would put the cost up with or higher than Corbin and Russell.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/motorcycle_seat_modifications.php

TONYLUMPS…. If you didn’t get to far on your donor seat I found a site that may give a little guidance on your project.

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 1:30 pm

Ron thanks for that site. I started to remove foam with a the carving knife good thing it is a spear seat. It worked O.K. but not happy. Recovered the seat but to many little bumps So I will try it again and use the grinder to smooth it out. Have an Upholstery staple gun not used it in years and it works great. Am in no hurry I could still ride. Tony
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:04 pm

tonylumps, if you don't have a smooth surface and it telegraphs through the vinyl, go to a fabric store and get some batting. wally world will also have it. put a layer or two of it over the foam and it will hide the irregularities.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:43 pm

Philip what does it look like Would like to try it Think a craft store would have it Tony
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 6:33 pm

trouble1100 wrote:
If you didn’t get to far on your donor seat I found a site that may give a little guidance on your project.

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

+1 for that site - some very good info and tips. I used it as a reference when I was making my passenger backrest.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 4:49 am

Philip got it. Tony
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Thank god it was a Donor seat It does not look bad .Lowered about 1.50".Bought a stock backrest for it A good prospect for my Airhawk Will not be doing Upholstering for a living
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carving a Donor Seat   Carving a Donor Seat I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carving a Donor Seat
Page 1 of 1