Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 3:39 am

» Drive belt prices
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 2:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 6:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 4:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 1:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:01 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How Do You Carry Spare gas

Go down 
+6
MikeO
Opalsboy
dspevack
DennisB
Cosmic_Jumper
crahar
10 posters
AuthorMessage
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

How Do You Carry Spare gas Empty
PostSubject: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 1:07 pm

What are the best methods of carrying spare gas on tours or long rides where your not sure of how far the next place to get it is?
Craig
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 1:38 pm

I carry one 1 liter MSR fuel bottle. I have a second one available if I feel that that much extra fuel might be needed on a trip I'd be planning. I've used that bottle on two occasions --both times to bail out Harley riders who had run dry.

I understand that Hammy carries a veritable mini Exxon station under his seat to alleviate serious anxiety issues. That's in addition to the bandoleers of airline liquor bottles filled with petrol he wears crossed on his chest Wink

The lad's a virtual petroleum warlord I tell you

Tim
:-)
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 1:48 pm

That's it, I'm riding with Hammy!
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 2:10 pm

I just try not to fart.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 3:00 pm

Crahar, Plan Plan Plan.... if you think there is a stretch you might not make, find another route. I would NEVER go intentionally where I MIGHT run out. Knowing the range of your Swing is important to know. Should for most be 150 - 200 miles based on speed wind ect...
I am curious to know if there are some that actually have to carry extra fuel. Maybe out in Arizona or New Mexico or west texas.... as I said, I would know how far between next fill up location.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 pm

I was thinking of heading up toward the Davis Mountains but not sure as to the chance of finding gas in certain spots(guess I'll have to lay off the beans) I try not to go past 160 miles without filling up, but I also don't like to push my luck.
Craig
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3792
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 3:31 pm

It's not usually a problem here (Belgium is less than 200 miles riding distance across at its widest) but I have a 1-litre aluminium fuel bottle and a 2-litre plastic fuel container.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 3:32 pm

As Tim mentioned, I do carry spare gas with me when I go on a long trip. I've been caught twice on the same trip, actually within 12 hours of the same day in NC. It wasn't on my Swing but on my Citycom. I still haven't really figured out my range on the Swing cos I've actually been running in less than normal conditions and have seen a low of 28mpg and a high of 55mpg. Then again, I'm about to replace the rollers with 26g sliders, put on a new OEM belt, redo my tire pressure to 35 front, 40 rear, clean my air filter, and probably switch back to my stock windshield.

As for what I use, I have 2 MSR bottles that I bought from REI but those only hold 30oz of fuel each, so I only bring those for when I'm riding in a group and we might need gas just in case of emergency. What I actually use most of the time is a 1 gallon Rotopax (www.rotopax.com), usually stored in a saddlebag as it is hard plastic and not vented as far as I can tell. It's flat and gives me way more gas in a form factor that's much more easy to store and transport than 2 aluminum bottles in a dual wine bottle holder.

I have also learned to add Stabil to the gas in these containers, and when I'm done with my trip, I dump the gas into the tanks so it doesn't spoil.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 5:43 pm

crahar wrote:
I was thinking of heading up toward the Davis Mountains but not sure as to the chance of finding gas in certain spots

Within Big Bend National Park ( http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/gasstation.htm ) there are two gas stations:

Rio Grande Village Service Station: 432.477.2293
Panther Junction Service Station: 432.477.2294

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/upload/BIBEmap3.pdf

Which route are you planning on taking to Big Bend??

I arrived via Fort Davis->Presido and left via Marathon->Sanderson. I did not have problems getting gas, but I made sure I filled up at known gas stations regardless of how much gas I had to avoid running out of gas.

Staying inside the Chisos Basin was incredible.

Make sure you ride the Presido road

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=29.569874,-104.37664&daddr=TX-118+S&hl=en&geocode=%3BFRobvwEdQJfU-Q&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=12&sll=29.536126,-104.275703&sspn=0.214172,0.308647&ie=UTF8&ll=29.351058,-103.97049&spn=0.858242,1.234589&z=10
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 6:45 pm

Up I-10 thru Ft.Stockton, Alpine, Ft.Davis ,then wherever the road leads.
Craig
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:04 pm

I was going to suggest "eat more cabbage or beans", but Dan beat me to it!

Damn!! So did Craig!!.

It's not often when someone leaves themselves open like this.

Where's Gene BTW? This wood be right up his alley too!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
How Do You Carry Spare gas 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:27 pm

How Do You Carry Spare gas 744535 I've been to Big Bend and quite a bit of west Texas on other motorcycles and never had a problem with finding fuel. One thing to be aware of are deer. You will be traveling through areas where those critters like to take a close up look at vehicles. I like your planning "wherever the road takes me" . Have fun and be safe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Do You Carry Spare gas   How Do You Carry Spare gas I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Do You Carry Spare gas
Page 1 of 1