Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Oil Filter Wrench

Go down 
+13
Lab Rat
Slick-Tenn
GaryL
mikef
DennisB
buddy19520
joncallihan
honda_silver
Waspie
exavid
KurtPerthWA
JeffR
matthew
17 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

New Oil Filter Wrench Empty
PostSubject: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 8:33 pm

I haven't done a search, so if this becomes redundant, well, just ignore it.

I've had trouble three times now - at three different oil changes, that is - when trying to remove the WalMart (SuperTech ST7317) oil filter that fits the Swing. I seem to remember reading somewhere in an oil filter comparison that this filter is actually pretty good when compared to others. I have no complaints about the filter's performance.

Trouble is, this filter is consistently near impossible to remove, and not because I over tighten it. I've always managed to do it somehow, but I'll be dammed if I can remember how. I think I've even read about someone tearing this filter apart trying to remove it, and then having to fiddle with trying to remove the remnants from the engine.

Anyway, this last time, just now, I came up with an idea that actually worked. I thought, after again trying without success to remove the thing with three different filter wrenches and all kinds of improvised approaches, that, hey, what might work would be a C-clamp. So I went and bought one, 3", about $4 at Home Depot, and low and behold, it worked.

It'll crimp and bend the filter some, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. You can screw this clamp down tight enough, and you have the leverage you need to turn it by grabbing on to the C. Slowly, I'd recommend, just so the filter begins to give. Then you're home free.

It took me a few tries, but finally it did give way. I now have the 3" C-clamp in my oil filter wrench collection, so next time I'll just start with that.

Happy un-screwing.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Matthew,

If you open this link to the Pictorial I did for changing the oil...and go to page 2 of it...are you using this type of oil wrench. It is basically a very large socket?

https://www.silverwing600.com/pictorials-how-to-perform-maintenance-f21/oil-changing-pictorial-t161.htm#706

I have 2 different sizes, and I can't remember which ones, but when I use different oil filters I need to use a different size wrench. Or were you using different types of wrenches that fit around the filters? Just curious. But I usually just hand tighten and then turn 1/4 turn with a wrench and ...knock on wood...I don't have any future problems since I have to change mine this weekend.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Jeff, yes I have one wrench like that, and it fits on the filter like you'd think it should be ok, but it just ends up slipping and won't grab right. I also have two other types of filter wrenches, and neither of them work right either. Partly it's a problem of too little space around the filter for these wrenches, but anyhow they don't grab right.

I think this problem of the filter being so hard to unscrew is somehow specific to the SuperTech filter. I haven't read about anyone having this problem with other filters. In fact people say they can remove other brands - amsoil and the honda oem filter - very easily.

I happen to have the supertech on hand, but I think I'll switch to a different brand next time. If you're not using the supertech, I doubt you'll have a problem.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Matthew,

I have used Fram, Honda, and HiFlo filters and they all worked good so far. But before I bought the wrenchs I tried with the belt type wrench and a large set of channel locks, which didn't work well at all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Jeff,
Yeh, the channel locks seem like they'd be too big for the work space, and I have one of the metal belt/band type wrenches that doesn't work right either.
I think the only reason the C-clamp worked is because it crushes the filter some and gets a bite into it to give you some traction, cause that filter seems like it's just glued on there and doesn't want to move until you get some kind of really good hold onto it.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 11:36 pm

Screwdrivers make a perfect removal tool.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 2:14 am

I use a small steel strap type wrench, it fits both my Goldwing and the Silverwing which use the same filters. Normally I can get it loose by hand but if it's being stubborn I can get the strap around it and a couple of twists will loosen it for hand removal. These wrenches are cheap at most auto parts stores. I have also used a screw driver as mentioned above but found it a bit messy.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 4:08 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Screwdrivers make a perfect removal tool.

The 'universal' filter removal tool, a must for the short tempered!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 9:54 am

I have used a screw driver before, but it can be messy. A monkey wrench will loosen any oil filter without damaging the filter and leaking oil.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 10:44 am

Heck, just bite the bullet and use a K&N or similar filter that has a welded on 17mm or so nut on the outside. New Oil Filter Wrench Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 pm

joncallihan wrote:
Heck, just bite the bullet and use a K&N or similar filter that has a welded on 17mm or so nut on the outside. New Oil Filter Wrench Icon_cheers

I use Amsoil (EAO13) oil filter which is 0.75" (30%) longer than original OEM size ... to get the maximum amount of filtration media.

With the longer sized filter, there is not as much room at the top of the filter.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 6:24 pm

The oversize plastic socket that I have is a dual size socket. It is either 65 or 67 mm, depending on how deeply the socket fits onto the oil filter. The brand is Imperial.

When I changed the oil a few months ago, I noticed that it wanted to slip. When I wiggled the socket and pressed it onto the oil filter a little farther, it held the oil filter very securely. To press it on a little deeper, you have to rotate the socket about an eighth turn.

Two suggestions for anyone having trouble with removing the filter -

- be sure you have the plastic socket on far enough if it has two sizes available

- be sure to put some engine oil on the gasket before you screw on the new filter.

Hope this helps someone.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi All,

When I purchased the scoot. I was looking at what oil filter wrench to use. So I did some measuring and scratched my balding head for a while and went and looked on ebay. Found this little gem. OIL FILTER WRENCH 64MM 14 FLUTES...So I got one. So far the wrench has been working pretty good for the last 2 oil changes. Of cource, I do not torque my new filters down, just been coating the new filter seal with fresh oil and thread it on till the seal makes contact and then just adding 3/4 of a turn, that's all, no more. The seal swell up when they get oil on them and it seals and stays on. I need to use a 3/8" drive ratchet handle with the 64mm filter wrench to take it off because it does get tighter with time.

Here's the Ebay thread: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAP-TYPE-OIL-FILTER-WRENCH-64MM-14-FLUTES-A265-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem29f5ff7895QQitemZ180220819605QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Well...There you have it.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Yes, The one one ebay is made of steel. It's really nice and fits the filters well.
Back to top Go down
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Here's what I use. Works well on the Gold AND the Silver

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/858
Attachments
New Oil Filter Wrench AttachmentB4-201.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(88 Kb) Downloaded 20 times
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 6:32 pm

MikeF and all, I use exactly what Mikef shows in his post. Used it on the Goldwing for years, and just did my first oil change on the SWing. Very easy!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi MikeF,

Now that looks like a handy wrench. I think Honda should have included one with every Silverwing scooter.
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 11:59 am

matthew wrote:

I've had trouble three times now - at three different oil changes, that is - when trying to remove the WalMart (SuperTech ST7317) oil filter that fits the Swing. I seem to remember reading somewhere in an oil filter comparison that this filter is actually pretty good when compared to others. I have no complaints about the filter's performance.

Trouble is, this filter is consistently near impossible to remove, and not because I over tighten it. I've always managed to do it somehow, but I'll be dammed if I can remember how. I think I've even read about someone tearing this filter apart trying to remove it, and then having to fiddle with trying to remove the remnants from the engine.

Anyway, this last time, just now, I came up with an idea that actually worked. I thought, after again trying without success to remove the thing with three different filter wrenches and all kinds of improvised approaches, that, hey, what might work would be a C-clamp. So I went and bought one, 3", about $4 at Home Depot, and low and behold, it worked.

It'll crimp and bend the filter some, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. You can screw this clamp down tight enough, and you have the leverage you need to turn it by grabbing on to the C. Slowly, I'd recommend, just so the filter begins to give. Then you're home free.

It took me a few tries, but finally it did give way. I now have the 3" C-clamp in my oil filter wrench collection, so next time I'll just start with that.

Happy un-screwing.
Changed my OF on my "new" 03 and did experience the slight frustration of removal. My biggest pair of channel locks are about 9 - 10" and they BARELY opened wide enough to get a good grip. I'd suggest a 12" pair can wrangle just about any size OF if you've got maneuvering room (which you do have JUST enough on the Swing).
Back to top Go down
Slick-Tenn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-19

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:48 pm

matthew wrote:

Happy un-screwing.
After reading your post, I changed the oil/filter on my "new" 03 Swing. My 9 (or 10) - inch channel lock pliers just barely barely barely got a grip and loosened the Honda filter. Went to wally world and got a 12" pair and they'll easily twist off just about any filter where you can get a grip and some leverage. About 9 bucks - but have beaucoups uses.
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:29 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I was doing some searching around the site for fun. I too had some issues removing the oil filter for my first oil change. I picked up one of these at Cycle Gear, but they're probably available from any number of sources. It worked really well, and obviously will work with many different sizes.

New Oil Filter Wrench 5590329179_ab25c2a553_m

Oil Filter Wrench
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Lab Rat wrote:
I picked up one of these at Cycle Gear, but they're probably available from any number of sources.

That's an excellent tool. I have a similar, if not identical, version from Harbor Freight. Works great.
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:54 pm

I bought my oil filter wrench from Napa. It is made of some type of plastic. Extremely durable and a nice tight fit. I believe it cost me around 7 bucks.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 am

New Oil Filter Wrench Images15

OOOOPS Sorry, I misread the post. I thought it read
" New Oil Filter Wench"
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 am

Now... that's what I'm talking about. Welcome Back Kurt!
Back to top Go down
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Skip it. Buy a Fram. They have eliminated the need for a wrench by coating the bottom of the filter with a rough-grip coating. Even with oil soaked hands, You can remove the current filter and tighten the new with no additional tools. Works like a champ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Oil Filter Wrench   New Oil Filter Wrench I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Oil Filter Wrench
Page 1 of 1