Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 8:47 am

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Today at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Air Filter I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Air Filter

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Air Filter Empty
PostSubject: Air Filter   Air Filter I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Last Wednesday nite I went out into my cold garage to start the engine and check it out for a Thursday a.m. PGR mission. It started okay but did not want to maintain a good idle speed without using the throttle; even died on me twice. Finally it acted normally after it warmed a bit and I didn't think too much about it except to get some STP gas treatment and dump in it. Seemed to function just fine the next day but it did get me to thinking about the air filter.

So... today I finally got around to removing all the requisite parts (as per JeffR's fine pics) and pulled the filter; I got the bike with 2K miles and it now has 10K (no, I don't do a lot of riding like most of you). The main discrepancy was that there was a black, oily residue, mainly where the airflow enters the chamber and on back on the leading edges of all the pleats. Was 'some' hair too but I attribute that to our resident cats. After 'blowing' out the element it looked reasonably good enough to reuse except for that residue stuff. And that leads me to these questions (because the search function didn't help much)...

Has anyone ever heard of cleaning that element? If so, how? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one? I'm really not averse to using the old one again but don't want to have to take it apart again anytime soon. I read somewhere about someone using standard filter media to replace what is there (would be a little 'tacky' but they said it works). Does anyone know (off the top of your head) what the price spread is between a new OEM and the K&N?? I'm keeping all my options open. Also, has anyone experienced the oily residue I speak of?? Any help will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Air Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Filter   Air Filter I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:53 pm

DickO,

I think you can use an air compressor to blow "some' of the dirt out of the OEM filter but it probably wouldn't be too much. I believe I paid approx $35 for the OEM and $55 for the K&N. The K&N is very easy to clean since I also bought the cleaning kit for it and it should last about the life of the filter. I have cleaned mine 3 times and I still have a lot left.

I also need to clean my filter about every 8,000 miles but when I do it isn't 'filthy' yet but just somewhat dirty. With the K&N though it says to make sure it is dry before you reinstall it. I just use a hair dryer on low speed to dry it quicker. I have no idea why they used so many screws on the air filter but it is much easier if you have a cordless drill to remove it. I tried the first time with a screwdriver and felt like I had a "popeye" forearm when I was done.
Back to top Go down

Air Filter
Page 1 of 1