Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review

Go down 
+75
ken-z
surlybiker58
stonerolled
Atrick
paul.delo451
acworthpatrick
swingmike
SonnyO
tinman
Guy
EasyRider SilverWinger
RArch
jodders1
MarkB
toolboxjesse
DickO
LarryB
DaveR
SamHouston73
larryinseattle
JeffR_
kbcmdba
dnk2112
johnd
Dimond
john123
cjuzda
model28a
goldwinger
Skyman
The Scootist
JohnJ
hobbykim
Scooterian
kleikvold
Meldrew
GaryT
Winger61
tarmacburner2
midlifecrisis (Paul)
dickie
rogerscoot
martywinger
roadrunner
wis-rider
ajay
russcarver
Laker
jimjotel
Waspie
Windrider
clarinet
Opalsboy
billmc
DennisB
Okiebezer
ehaughn
crahar
MikeO
jdeereanton
billc.
edbancro
bigbird
ronjr009
buddy19520
trooth2u
trouble1100
thomphoto
wingnprayer
Tamjay
john grinsel
dspevack
honda_silver
tonylumps
JeffR
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

I was given the opportunity to test the new Givi Adjustable Windshield for a review. They sent this to me on June 30th which was just a day after I spoke with the Givi representative. This will be a shorter review since I only put about 50 miles on it with my initial ride. But I did go on the interstate, state roads, and the city. And I also tested it out in the lowest, middle, and highest postions in all of roads.

Packaging

The windshield was very professionally packaged. There were 2 smaller boxes in 1 larger box and everything was put in where it would be very difficult to damage anything on the shield. And all of the parts needed were in there, although there really isn't much that is needed.

Pictures of Shield

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Entire11

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Sepera10

I removed my Givi Windshield that I cut down about 1 1/2". Measuring from the handlebar cover to the top of the Givi screen I cut down was 20 1/2" (measured from the Honda emblem on the handlebar cover). After I installed this Adjustable Givi at the highest position it measured 20 3/4", so it is about 1/4" of taller than the Givi that I took off.

The parts of the shield seem to be very sturdy and easy to use. Here are a couple of close up shots of the fasteners. I'm am calling them fasteners but Givi may refer to them by a different name.

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Close_10

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Close_13

The Ride

I started the ride with the screen in it's highest position which allowed my eyes to be about 1" to 2" above the top of the screen. I started on the city street to ride out to the interstate about 1 1/2 miles. I merged onto the interstate and quickly got up to 65 mph (all speeds will be actual in this review) and I didn't notice any buffeting whatsoever. The top part of this windshield seems a bit narrower than the stock Givi shield but it seems a smoother ride without any turbulence at all. I think the gap between the screens really helps out to eliminate buffeting or back pressure. There was no back pressure that pushes your body or helmet forward at all. The single piece Givi shield that I removed would give a small bit of back pressure that would push your helmet or even your body forward a bit. But there was none of that with the new Givi Adjustable shield.

I rode up and down the highway in about 3 mile sections to try out the different height adjustments. I started out in the highest postion.

INTERSTATE

Highest Position

In the highest position it was a nice quiet ride like the single piece (original) Givi shield. But it seems to be a smoother ride since there is no turbulence at all. I ride with a 1/2 helmet with the fighter pilot visor and when I raised my visor all the way up I didn't feel the need to have to wear glasses at all. Except for safty issues. I don't feel comfortable at all riding without some type of eye protection. But I wanted to test it out to see if glasses are needed. Well, they aren't. I felt a very small amount of wind/breeze but I think it was from some of the wind that came from the side or from around the shield.

I raised my hand up to see where how far the wind was being pushed up and it was at the top of my helmet. It seems that it pushes the air up about 4" over my eyes and gave absolutely no buffeting at all at 65 mph. I also tried to ride close behind semi-trucks and also to the side of them to see if I felt any of the "sailing" effect that I would get with the single piece Givi shield. Sometimes if the wind was right I would feel the wind catch the shield and give some turbulence or that "sailing" effect. Well, as much as I tried I couldn't get that effect with this new adjustable shield.

Middle Position

I then rode with the shield at the middle positon and I did find a bit more wind hitting my eyes but not much more than at the highest position. It was also pushing the wind to just an inch or two below my helmet but there was no buffeting at the middle position either. It seems to push the wind in a very friendly manner. I also didn't get any of the turbulence or buffeting either at the middle postion, even when trying to ride close to semi's.

Lowest Position

The lowest position would give me more wind, of course, but it was still a smooth kind of effect. Even though the lowest position is probably close to the height of the stock Honda screen it didn't seem to produce any buffeting, that would cause my helmet to be pushed around. The stock screen would push my helmet around pretty bad on the interstate but this Givi adjustable screen didn't do that.

As a side note: I'm 6'0" tall and when I sit on my SWing in my normal riding position my eye level is 31" from the seat. I have a longer torso than an average 6 footer so I was concerned that this adjustable shield may not be tall enough.

I have to say that this windshield on the interstate is a very nice shield that produces a nice smooth ride. There is no turbulence or buffeting at all, even when trying to ride as close to semi-trucks as I could to get that effect. I also didn't notice that "sailing" effect that I would get with the stock Givi or the XL Clearview that I had on at one time.

STATE ROAD

Highest Position

The state road that I road on had a speed limit of 45 mph and it was in very good condition with nice curves on it. I started out with the screen at the highest position and it was very smooth. I didn't really keep it at this height for very long at all. It was about 80-85 degrees there so I pulled over to adjust it to the middle position.

Middle Position

I pulled over and adjusted it to the middle position and rode about 5 miles this way and it is a very smooth ride too. Since the speed limit is only 45 mph it is really nice to have the option to adjust the screen. It felt like a very relaxed ride and gave more wind to my body which helped make the ride more enjoyable since I could stay cooler. I then pulled over to adjust it to the lowest position.

Lowest Position

I rode about another 5 miles with the screen in the lowest position and it was also a very nice ride. I think this is the height I will have it at when I ride on these types of roads at these speeds. When I would raise my visor I would feel more wind, of course, in my eyes but it wasn't alot. But it provided a nice breeze to my body and face and it still didn't produce any buffeting to my helmet/head. It was really a very nice ride that kept me cooler.

I also rode one part of my ride on a 5-6 mile stretch where the speed limit was anywhere from 15 mph to 45 mph due to the tight turns. I started the first 2 miles at the middle position and then dropped it down to the lowest position. With this type of ride it was very nice to be able to adjust the shield. Since the speed was slower, and it was hot out, this made the ride much more comfortable.

Adjusting the Screen:

As for adjusting the screen...it is very, very easy and quick. I would adjust it at stop lights or stop signs and it only takes about 5 seconds. It is just that easy. I wouldn't try to adjust this as you ride but I guess it would be possible, but not very safe. You really need to use 2 hands to do it quickly and safely.

Conclusion:

I know I only went on about a 50 mile ride but I have to say I like this new Givi adjustable screen more than the other screens I have had. I don't know if it is the "air-foil" or what, but the ride was very smooth and without any turbulence or buffeting. Even at the lowest heights I still didn't feel turbulence or buffeting. I know that there was more wind at my face at the lowest setting but the wind didn't push my helmet around. It is hard to explain but this shield seems to push the wind up a good amount of distance. When I had my Majesty I put a Laminar Lip on the Givi shield I had and it did help. I think that this shield gives that effect of the Laminar Lip but to a much better extent.

I will give additional updates but if I were in the process of buying an aftermarket screen this is the one that I would choose. I think that if you are a bit over 6' tall it will still do a good job for you. I'm not sure how it would do in the rain so I can't comment on that but it doesn't rain much out here in California.

I can say that when I am in the hills/mountains and on some nice curvy roads I will be keeping it down in the lowest positon, if it is warm out. It is really nice to have these options available to you when riding. The highest position is great on the interstate but I think I will be keeping it in the lowest or middle position in the city or out on my country rides.

Here are some more pictures:

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Close_10

This how the screen fits into the fastener.

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Side_v10

This a side view of the screen at the highest level.

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Pictur10

This is a picture at the lowest setting. My eyes are probably 5" over the top.

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Pictur11

This is the screen at the highest level. My eyes are 1" to maybe 2" over the top.

I would like to thank Givi for giving me this opportunity to review this new shield of theirs. It really is a very nice shield and gives the rider the ability to adjust the screen as needed. If you have any questions please reply to this post and I will keep them in mind for when I give updates. I'm sure i forgot some things so please just respond and I will do my best to get you an answer, if I can. Thanks for reading.

"edited on July 5th"

I'm not sure who all sells these but I have seen them on

www.scootertrap.com and I know Matt is a great guy to deal with.

Last edited by JeffR on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
clarinet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 am

Just an a FYI, when I installed mine over the weekend I did remove the top cover over the instrument cluster. It allowed me to see where I was drilling so that I did not drill into the boss and screw that up. Doesn't have to be done, however, just was a bit easier for me. (These things happen when you get old!)
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 am

Thank you! Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 6:41 am

Panic mode!

Two holes each side to drill?
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 am

clarinet wrote:
Just an a FYI, when I installed mine over the weekend I did remove the top cover over the instrument cluster. It allowed me to see where I was drilling so that I did not drill into the boss and screw that up. Doesn't have to be done, however, just was a bit easier for me. (These things happen when you get old!)
I agree - it's nice to be able to see what you're drilling into (and I don't think it has anything to do with age Smile ).

MikeO wrote:
Panic mode!

Two holes each side to drill?
One each side, two total (unless you're really having fun and want to drill more Laughing )
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 8:13 am

Thanks!

I was confused by having to remove one of the big shiney bolts from either side and replace them with the two supplied.
Job's jobbed without any real hassle, not least because of the wealth of information and support here - the supplied instructions are very clear.......when they've been explained here!
I dropped only one washer - one of the plastic ones - so made one from a piece of plastic I had in my workshop.

My hand guards do push slightly on the screen at full-lock; I shall go for a ride later and assess the situation.

Thanks again to everyone. Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 8:15 am

Im STUCK already.
i have take the 2 screws out of the front air intake and the 2 at the back the plastic is lose but how do you get it off .
it feels like its clipped in near the indicater lights .
anyone ?
Rob.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 am

GOT it just found BigBirds way of doing it Smile
Rob
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:08 am

All back togather it took about an hour.
i did break one of those hooks at the front afterall but easy to repair ,that bit was the hard bit the hooks were so darnd tight .

we have rain now so a test will have to waite ..

i do like the look of it as it give the bike more prominanc .
Rob
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:16 am

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Just back from a little ride and the screen is a great improvment over the standared honda one .
the wind noise with my helmet is 70% quieter, befor i could not stand the noise i got with my viser down it was a constant roar NOW i can easyly ride with my viser down .

Thanks for the views on it here as it helped me decide to try one .
very happy Smile
Rob.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: adj Givi shield FOG   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 7:42 pm

As I have stated before--- the new shield works ok up to 65 or maybe 70mph.
Works better than others I have tried/ wasted money on.

Today----Monroeville, AL to Chattanooga---early AM back roads----was able to ride thru several ground FOG conditions.-----Of course both sides of shield end up foggy....but no big drops roll off in my face/eyes so passes test. Those looking thru are putting themselves in good position to getting killed-----look over worked great.

Next have trip to DC and one to MO and letter upper MI, bound to run into rain....snow in UP?

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 am

oops

Last edited by Windrider on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:26 am

Givi recommends you use the metal brackets, which provide additional stability.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 am

My review of the Givi screen is this:

Noise and buffeting are reduced beyond measure, even in the gale-force wind I experienced on the motorways.

There is some wind-noise at speed but the pounding on the ear-drums has vanished and it's a motorcycle so is never going to be completely draft- and noise-free.
My ipod was at just over half the volume than with the original screen and that was at speeds over 70MPH.

I think it's altered the handling a bit; I'm guessing that the venturi-effect is pressing the front of the bike harder on the road, causing the rider (me) to have to be a bit more positive in recovering from HGV bow-waves - the screen is less 'slippery' from side to side so appears to be caught by cross-winds. It may be my imagination and is certainly not a problem, my having adjusted to it. It hasn't spoilt the ride.

I set the height in the garage and didn't try moving it up or down. I might lower it a fraction to see what's what but on the few occasions one has to look at the road directly in front and therefore look through the screen, there is no distortion at all.

Sorry this is so short - there's really not much to say.
It is not perfect but very nearly and I'm very pleased I made the decision.

It's also very easy to attach - I was panicking about drilling the two extra holes but it's a piece of cake.

Not important but it hasn't spoilt the look of the bike - Silverwing and Burger rider-friends with whom I was in Brittany commented on that very point.

If you can scrape together the cash, buy one - that's my recommendation.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 am

MikeO, cut and paste - great invention.

Been following the exploits of the Givi screen all over the net!!!!!

Nice review, will def. get one in the next couple of months.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 am

It took me enough effort to write one - I'm not doing a new one for each set of fans on the net, Doug! Razz

Have you found the one with a UK supplier's link?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 1:25 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks BigBird
I will go back and install the braces. I don't want it to break.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 12:53 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 4:12 pm

MikeO wrote:

Yes thanks Mike, saved for future reference. cheers
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: final from me on this shield   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Finally after near 4,000 miles with this windshield, got to ride in some rain today.

Seems to work ok in lower position---no large drops directed to my face. Lower position for me about one inch from lowest possible.

I can see in west, you could raise it some for all day rain ride----I had to contend with idiots today going to TN football game in their pickups and SUV's. Not good or considerate drivers---guess they don't know it can be slippery when wet. Was not good time to experiment, better to concentrate on staying alive.

So Givi adj shield works as good or better than I have tried----does make up for some of the design flaw in basic scooter, your nose being too far from tip of screen.
At slower speeds beautiful-----at speeds above 65-70mph can still be a little bothersome----but much better than stock or other after market windshields

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
jimjotel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 6:55 pm

what windsheild did you replace it with John?
Back to top Go down
http://jimtelford@bellsouth.net
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey John,

I'm happy to hear you like your new GIVI AirFlow windshield. Makes me, really want one. Maybe some day soon, I hope. sunny

Thanks for taken the time to write a little something.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:32 pm

The Givi replaced Clearview, cut to see over with GoldWing vent, prior to that stock with laminar lip and ears......that combo didn't provide much buffeting relief. Clearview a little better, but not good enough for real riding, assuming you have standard to compare to. I do.

Givi will stay with bike until I get rid of....it is
09.....so always thinking of next one.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 2:44 pm

MikeO wrote:
It took me enough effort to write one - I'm not doing a new one for each set of fans on the net, Doug! Razz

Embarassed Sorry, i won't ask again
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 4:31 pm

No apology needed, but thanks.

Doug's point was that he'd seen my review on several forums that we both frequent.
I'm happy to answer any specific questions about the screen although other members have given far more details than I have - I just think it's very, very good.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Windrider wrote:
MikeO wrote:

Embarassed Sorry, i won't ask again

Sorry to cause confusion Windrider. As Mike said we both frequent several sites and I was having a humorous pop at Mike cut and paste skills.

It was by no means a response to anyone on this site and appologise for any confusion or distress it may have given. Sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 5:15 am

for UK guys this is were i got my airflow from.£126
Rob.
http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/acatalog/Givi_Airflow_Screens.html
Back to top Go down
Laker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 2:54 pm

I bought the Airflow in early August after my former GIVI windshield broke.

Basically I’m pretty happy with it and recently put on about 2,000 miles in all kinds of weather including torrential downpours. I found that if I kept my speed above 110 kph (about 68 mph) that the rain went right over my head and didn’t land on me anywhere. Was feeling really great until an oncoming car went through a massive puddle and drenched me from head to toe! Oh well, no bike windshield is perfect.

But a month ago I was traveling up a deserted highway when I noticed something the size of a football moving on the side of the road. Before I could do anything the thing turned out to be a partridge and it flew up right in front of me. It struck the upper part of the Air-Flow and smashed it. I was lucky to keep the SWing under control. The partridge, apparently none the worse for wear, flew off into the bush.

When I got home I called the GIVI distributor in Canada and asked if an upper replacement was available. He wasn’t sure but when I called him back a few days later he indicated that they weren’t stocking replacement parts. WHAT…???!!! You gotta be kidding!

After several more phone calls to the distributor I was told that one of the high mucky-mucks was on his way to Italy and would look into the matter.

He returned a week ago and I still can’t get a clear answer.

But they did give me a part number… 076-Z1997R Cost is $68 Canadian. Very reasonable!

I also learned that all of the Airflow windshields regardless if they are for the SilverWing, BMW, Piaggio, Suzuki or a Yamaha, all share the identical upper windscreen.

As many of you know the Airflow arrives in two boxes. I pointed out to the GIVI rep that all he’d have to do is walk back into the factory, break open the large box and remove the smaller one. He indicated today he still has not received permission to do that. I further pointed out this is likely their slow season so cannibalizing one of the boxes shouldn’t be a big problem.

Over the past two years I’ve spent over $1,200 Canadian on GIVI goodies – a top box with brake lights and a side box, top rack and a side rack, plus two windshields. My brand loyalty is being rewarded with disinterest.

I wonder if GIVI USA treats its customers thus…?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Windshield   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 pm

I, too have spent a lot on Givi Stuff----call US GIVI direct and see what they can do...as long as you are willing to pay, you should get what you want. They sent me stuff I needed as my 500,000 box has had parts fall off over the years.

Now I have over 5,000 miles on the new adjustable shield---ok in rain, ok in fog looking over, terrible after 70 mph - -headwinds make it worse. Keep speed down ok. Does the best it can to oversome basic design flaw of scooter.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
russcarver
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
russcarver

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 11:25 am

Just took my 2nd ride today in cold temps here in Colorado (37 degrees this morning). Put in my silk glove liners, but my hands were still cold. Does anyone know if this windshield can help with that (as opposed to the stock windshield), or should I look for another solution?

Thanks!

--Russ
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 am

Before heated grips all I used to use was a pair of multi layered silk inners and a pair of Gore Tex Alpinestar WR1 gloves and my digits rarely got cold.

Now I am spoilt by Mr Honda's excellent heated grips so don't bother with the glove liners any more.
Back to top Go down
Laker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Well, today I received the replacement upper windscreen for my AIRFLOW. I had asked the Canadian distributor way back in August but they screwed around all this time trying to decided if they would even offer replacement parts. I had to cajole them into stepping up to the plate.

So, again, the replacement part number is 076-Z1997R. Cost is $68 Canadian. Very reasonable!

And to those of you wondering about keeping your paws warm – the AIRFLOW does a better job than the stock factory windscreen and about the same as the older GIVI windscreen with the side wings.

This spring I installed a pair of hand guards that I saw on either this SWing site or the other one. A chap from England had found out that the left hand guard for a 1000cc Suzuki VStrom and the right hand guard for a 650 Suzuki VStrom fit with only minor modifications. I bought them from my local Suzuki dealer for about $100 Canadian, 13% taxes included. Contact me at ianross@sympatico.ca for instructions if you can’t find them on either SWing site. They look cool as well as being very functional.

My hands still get cold, but not nearly as much as when they were fully exposed to the wind. I live in Northern Ontario so it’s getting pretty cold right now.

Furthermore I found that wearing snowmobile mitts as opposed to gloves keeps my hands nice and toasty, but the hand guards definitely help a lot.

Won’t be too much longer before I have to put my ’06 away.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Ordered my Givi airflow screen last night.

Sitting waiting now. Inane whistling and general strumming of fingers on table!!!!! Sleep

Is it me or is time going slow? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Laker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 pm

Waspie - be sure to install the two stainless steel brackets that come with the AIRFLOW. The instructions are hard to read, as are all GIVI instructions, but it's worth taking the time to do this as the brackets supprt the AIRFLOW properly.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Laker wrote:
Waspie - be sure to install the two stainless steel brackets that come with the AIRFLOW. The instructions are hard to read, as are all GIVI instructions, but it's worth taking the time to do this as the brackets supprt the AIRFLOW properly.

Good luck!

Thanks Laker, already made my mind up that I would be doing a full install, with brackets. Having disassembled the bike down I may as well spend a bit more time and do the whole job.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Givi AF214 arrived today. All I need now is my Wing back from the garage with a serviceable ignition barrel then I will be able to fit it.

Not expecting any problems after the wonderful advice and pictures you guys have supplied.

Givi - read this site and add the info on here to your fitting guide!!!!! Laughing Especially the pictures.
Back to top Go down
ajay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-18

PostSubject: GIVI AF214 drilling help needed   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 11:04 pm

bigbird wrote:
Wendell, don't give up. You will have to remove the large shiny bolt with stepped washer that attaches to the steel frame. That's one of the mounting points for the bracket. Do not re-use that big shiny bolt. You will use the round head GIVI bolt in that location. The other holes will align properly with the existing Honda mounting holes for the windshield. There is only 1 hole you will drill. With the bracket correctly aligned, you will see the bent part of the bracket is now towards the rear of the bike, and is angled inwards 45 degrees towards the the centre of the bike. You will drill through that angled hole. Behind that hole is a boss which holds the threads for the other GIVI bolt. That bolt is the socket head bolt as opposed to the pan head bolt.
Try again. As they say in the movie "The Waterboy", you can do it!

I am generally okay with things like this - but I am confused on the hole to drill.
The brackets that came with mine have an oblong hole on the angled end, not a perfectly round one. I understand that there is a boss somewhere and that the drilling is to gain access to attach the bracket there. I am not sure where to EXACTLY drill within the bracket hole, what size bit to use, and how deep to drill.
Sure would appreciate some guidance, I am afraid to screw up by drilling a little bit off.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 pm

xx

Back to top Go down
ajay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 11:36 pm

bigbird wrote:
All the info is in this topic. Just start reading through from page 1.
Here's a snippet of what to expect:

"This is the easiest mod you'll do. You're only drilling through the tupperware. About 3 revolutions of the drill bit and you're through. As Clarinet said you can remove the top cover from the instrument panel to see the angle that you should drill. You need to line up the template holes with the bosses attached to the Swing frame."

Thanks Bigbird. Too late now (East Coast TIme). Tomorrow I will remove top cover to ensure I don't drill in wrong place, and complete install. It should be warm enough to ride tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 5:22 am

I am a wimp; I freely admit it. I have all but lost my nerve when it comes to dismantling things, especially my Silverwing, so I avoid it as much as possible.

Therefore, unlike bigbird and others who haven't, I didn't take off the top cover but bolted-on the plate and eye-balled the angle for the hole.

Using the correct-size drill-bit I allowed the drill to find its own way through the plastic by pressing very gently on it and feeling when it just touched the metal underneath.

As they say, 'You pays yer money.......!' Wink
Back to top Go down
ajay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 11:55 am

MikeO wrote:
I am a wimp; I freely admit it. I have all but lost my nerve when it comes to dismantling things, especially my Silverwing, so I avoid it as much as possible.

Therefore, unlike bigbird and others who haven't, I didn't take off the top cover but bolted-on the plate and eye-balled the angle for the hole.

Using the correct-size drill-bit I allowed the drill to find its own way through the plastic by pressing very gently on it and feeling when it just touched the metal underneath.

As they say, 'You pays yer money.......!' Wink

Installation done - perfect! Thanks everyone.

Going out riding . . .
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:02 pm

This is a really interesting article. Thanks for doing the review. I have the Clearview on my Swing and it does a good job, however I still do get that pushing effect on my back.I can really notice it when I am riding when it is colder out.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:05 am

I'm probably being a little premature seeing how it's still chilly here, but has anyone who has ridden behind the Givi Airflow tried it with just the lower screen? I'm curious about riding on really hot days when wind in the face is sometimes desirable. That said, would the upper screen fit in an E52?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:50 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks, BB.

One more question -- I've never actually seen an AF214 except the one picture on the Givi UK site; do the latches stay with the base screen, do the come off with the upper, or do they come off independently?

From the comments in this thread, it seems as though this is a really versatile screen. That's what I'm looking for...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:19 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
martywinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 4:22 pm

What great posts. Thanks everyone. I'd like to take a stab at the question John raises about looking through vs over. First, it's a great question that lots of people have but few really ask. Here's my 2 cents worth. Two years ago I flew to North Carolins and picked up a bike and started back to Oklahoma across the mountains. The bike had a tall windscreen (I had to look through vs over) on it and the optics were fine, good wind protection, etc. Problem came when I was crossing the mountain at night and it began to rain. A downpour. There was no place to pull off and no traffic other than semi trucks. Lots of trucks, no shoulder to speak of. I was absolutely blinded by the lights through the windshield. I had to look around the screen to see at all and finally made it to a turnout/exit ramp where I holed up for the night. So,,,,if you're never gonna be riding at [b]night the "look through" works fine. If you're ever caught like I was then I bet it'll be the last time. I ordered a new, shorter screen as soon as I got home. Hope this is helpful.
Back to top Go down
martywinger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Jeff, I'd really be interested in how this thing works in the rain. I know none of us likes to ride in it but since some of us get caught every once in awhile it would be really great info. I'm shopping for a new shield right now for my 02. My 09 has a tall clearview and seemed to work pretty good and I was about to buy another one until I read this post today. Come to think of it, given how much it rains where you are I might be waiting another year or so before you see any rain out west. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review   Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AirFlow Adjustable Windshield Review
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next