Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

09 Sillverwing first report

Go down 
+2
JeffR
Dale M
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dale M

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-06-19

09 Sillverwing first report Empty
PostSubject: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Quite pleased with my new machine. Wanted a Givi windshield and a backrest. All finished. Made the buttrest into a backrest and the windshield is taller than I thought but I'll appreciate it when it gets colder. Even though I've cut several windshields in the past, most times I regretted it so will let it alone. Thought it rode a little rough around town so I bought a pad from Wal-Mart. It says Gel on the package but its soft rubber made into waffle shapes. Very comforable for $20. First tank of gas 57 mpg then 53 on the next one. Its balanced so perfectly that you can just barely move in a parking lot and still not worry about dropping it. In a 30 mph wind I was bounced all over the place but it didn't feel dangerous. The control was still there. Also, it has to run at least 70 without working up a sweat and it does! It a keeper. 09 Sillverwing first report Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Dale,

Glad you like your new Swing. It is smooth at 70 isn't it. I also have the Walmart pad and it does work great. I also have the Air hawk now but the Walmart special is one really nice pad. You are getting good mileage so you are doing something right. Keep up the reports.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
ce
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 pm

dudes, what is this mystic pad at Walmart, what's it called and where do I find it?

I need a pad, bad. What depaartment is it in? Can I get one online?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 pm

ce,

They are located in the automotive isle next to the steering wheel covers. Here is a picture:

09 Sillverwing first report Walmar10
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 am

Dale, as an experiment, try going back to the original windscreen next time you have a real windy day.

I believe that the funky handling is caused by the GIVI. I went to the original windscreen for some cooling air during hot weather, and think the better handling is a extra benefit.
Back to top Go down
ce
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks, Jeff, I'll find it now. And I'm hoping it'll boost me up a bit so I can look over my Givi instead of through it. I'm within a inch or so now, and it's not so bad, but once it gets full of bugs and scratches and then it rains, it might be a problem.

Or not.

I do agree with Buddy, on a windy day I had an awful backdraft, and was going to cut off the wings on the sides, but it looks like they buttress the shield to keep it from flexing, and they do keep the wind off my hands.

I'd hate to hacksaw up a nice shield that those Italian engineers spent so much time researching and developing, unless they were actually fashion designers, and didn't know dick about aerodynamics.

If that's the case, I'll take a hacksaw, a heat gun, and a hammer, and fix it so it works.
Back to top Go down
Dale M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dale M

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Philip,

I know your right. I think the angle and the height are a definite contribution to erratic behavior in a 30 mph wind. I even installed the brackets just because it was so big. Mine is mostly for around town running errands and visiting. Those trips are usually less than 30 miles round trip so I should be ok.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 6:58 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Dale,

I cut mine down about 1 1/2" and it really got rid of any "back pressure" for me. I didn't do a very good job cutting it but I do like it better. I'm 6' with a long torso and it keeps the wind out of my face. You could probably cut some off too. I noticed that when I was riding, and I put my hand up, that i wouldn't feel the wind until my hand was well over my head. So I think the Givi throws the wind over your head by a good amount. It took me about 10 mins to cut it and if I would have taken longer I would have done a better job.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 1:48 am

Another option to reduce the windshield back pressure could be the Vetter snap vents ( http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Online_Store/Replacement_Parts/Details.html )
Back to top Go down
Dale M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dale M

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:14 am

JeffR, how do you cut it! I'm going to ride it as is for awhile but after your comments I may change my mind later. What I've done in the past is use masking tape on both sides then draw my line then use a sabre saw with a fine blade. Used a rough then fine sponge sander to finish it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 09 Sillverwing first report   09 Sillverwing first report I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

09 Sillverwing first report
Page 1 of 1