Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

1 Month report of my new Swing !

Go down 
+2
model28a
ernie m
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-18

1 Month report of my new Swing ! Empty
PostSubject: 1 Month report of my new Swing !   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 10:58 am

The site seems really quiet this time of year and as a new member ,I check it often. So I though I might try to provide a little reading by giving a report on my bike a 2003 Swing. First off ,I have been through about everything I can find to check on it especially because I was cheated somewhat when I bought it. Having a "repaired title", and about 17k more miles than what the odometer says. Anyway, it has tons of power ! Now I'm comparing the bike to my 650 Burgman that I sold a year ago and my wifes 400 Burgman that we still own and ride often. I have put on a bit over 1000 miles on the Swing and find I'm getting about 48mpg.Not too bad as I don't ride for the milage. Handling,is very similar to the 400 burgman and lighter than the 650. I do love the simplicity of the Swing with the cvt transmission about the same as the Burgman 400. This is the reason I sold my 650 Burgman. I did not like the complicated transmission and all the reports of expensive repairs involved in repairing it. Weather they were justified or not!. I like how lite the Swings is to move around when it's not running. Very similar to the Burgman 400. My daughter reports' that riding as a passenger' she does not like the difficulty getting on and off because of not standing on the footrests. She does say once she is on ,it's very comfortable. So at this point I would say it's a keeper. I am looking forward the taking it on a few longer trips but just want a little more time to build up some more trust in the bike. I must say I have not found any issues in the bike other than a rear tire with a date of 11-07 and a few small hairline cracks on the sidewals and yes ,I do have a new one on order. Hope this provides a little reading for all. Thanks Ernie up here in cold Maine.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 1 Month report of my new Swing !   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks for the update Ernie. I wouldn't worry too much about taking a long ride. I just got home from a 400+ mile ride for lunch and one of the Silverwings with us was an 02 or 03(it was red whatever year that is)and his ran as good as my 08. He has never had to do anything other than normal maintenance in almost 50,000 miles. So I think you'll be able to count on the same reliability out of yours. I really can't remember hearing of anyone buying a used Silverwing that turned out to be a lemon, but I do have a short memory. Embarassed  I have over 52,000 miles on my 08 and all I've had go bad on it was the stator. I know a stator is not a minor problem but it's also not real common for them to go bad.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: 1 Month report of my new Swing !   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks Ernie! Good report. I love taking solo trips on the SWing. For two-up i use the Goldwing (wonder why). Put 240 miles on the Silver Wing today and it ran great!!! Keep riding as long as you can up there in Maine. I am in Arizona so have a teeny bit more riding weather... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: 1 Month report of my new Swing !   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Im about 90 miles south of GHM, and agree with the weather. We are coming in to prime riding.
Ernie, thanks for the update, well written and factual.
Back to top Go down
ernie m
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ernie m

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 1 Month report of my new Swing !   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 am

Thanks for the reply's ! It doesn't show but I'm 65 and the bike now has a total of 21k miles. I have also added a few items I made to the bike for traveling. These are carryovers from my wife's bike. I have a directions holder that mounts on the bike that you wright down goggled maps on with mileage and turns on if you don't have a mounted gps. I have a drink bottle holder that requires NO mods to your bike and one for the rider that works perfectly with a full coverage helmet. A small money clip for toll roads and also carry an air compressor and tire repair kit. I will post these as soon as I take a few pics with instructions on how to make them. I did make the brackets to raise the butt stop for a back rest before I noticed that has already been done and posted. I usually fiddle around with a few ideas during the cold months up here when it's too cold to ride.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 1 Month report of my new Swing !   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Ernie now you've got me interested, looking forward to seeing more on your mods. I love DIY mods.
Back to top Go down
Tourezrick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2014-09-12

PostSubject: Report Reply   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi Ernie -

Thanks for the report info! I've had my 2002 (23000 mi), and I've put on over 1400 miles on it with no problems other than air horn installation adventures. I've yet to take a longer ride, was hoping to join the Scoot Jockeys Chicago on their ride to Lake Geneva, Wis., but the air horn had other ideas!
In Chicago, it is getting cold and rainy. It has even snowed - a little!
Looking forward to hearing about more riding adventures from you before winter sets in!

Thanks,
Rick
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: 1 Month report of my new Swing !   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 8:52 pm

Work has prevented me from putting more miles on my SWing I purchased about a month but I am getting a little over 50 MPG around town and it's soooo smooth on the frwy. I'm selling my VStrom as I think the SWing will be my choice for touring. I did add some of that SAENG micro-swirl edging to the windshield it believe-it-or-not works. Keeps turbulence down to a minimum with a stock windshield and my 5' 8" frame.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1 Month report of my new Swing !   1 Month report of my new Swing ! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1 Month report of my new Swing !
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: