Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Another Wheel Removal Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Another Wheel Removal Question Empty
PostSubject: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 10:36 am

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I did search the forum and didn't find the answer for which I was searching.

I am changing tires and the dealership wants $72 for the rear and $60 for the front if I bring the scoot and $30 for the front and rear if I take the wheels off. Plus $12 each to balance.

I decided to take them off first and was really surprised about how easy the rear came off. Fifteen minutes after I turned on the shop lights the rear was off.

The questions I have are:

Is there any thing I should do to stabilize the scoot while I take the front off?

While raising the front to remove the wheel does the scoot want to come off the center stand?

I have read where others lift on the black insert on the bottom and I have found the solid spot but I also have an engine hoist and hoped someone could tell me where the lift point are on the scoot when using a hoist. Handlebars?

TIA for any and all help and if there are any "gotchas" that I can avoid please let me know of them.

Again, thanks for any and all help

Tim
07 Silverwing
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:07 am

This might help

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=25150;hl=front%20wheel%20removal
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com

PostSubject: Re: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:30 am

joncallihan wrote:
This might help

http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=25150;hl=front%20wheel%20removal

Thanks for responding and for the link.

Are there any "gotchas" when doing both front and back at the same time?

I also have a BMW 1200GS and when it's on the center stand both tires are off the ground. Having to lift the SW to remove the front tire is a bit unnerving with the rear already off because I don't want it to fall off the center stand.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 2:16 pm

I just had both front and rear off at the same time. Like what has been posted, lift (set jack) under bike about 6-8inches from front (solid black piece). I used a foam pad (like you use under your knees in the garden) against the bike plastic and a narrow piece of plywood under the foam to spread the force of the floor jack. You will only need to jack up about 4-6 inches to have enough clearence to remove the front tire. The center stand will not fold forward unless you are on a downhill slope (obviously this should be done on level ground). I hope this helps. I took the opportunity to clean all the removed hardware and applied anti-seize to all threads (to make the job easier next time). Don't forget to lube the rear splines before rear tire install.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 3:56 pm

If you're concerned about the center stand folding you can use a piece of rope or ratchet strap on the bottom of the stand to some point in front of the bike. Like the others I use a jack under the front of the scoot to raise the front end off the ground, same way I get the front wheel off my Goldwing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm

exavid wrote:
If you're concerned about the center stand folding you can use a piece of rope or ratchet strap on the bottom of the stand to some point in front of the bike. Like the others I use a jack under the front of the scoot to raise the front end off the ground, same way I get the front wheel off my Goldwing.

Thanks. I really appreciate the response and advice. I feel much more confident now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks for all the advice. Both wheels are off and hopefully the new tires will be mounted, balanced and back on the scoot by the weekend.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Took the tires and wheels to the dealership at 1pm Wednesday, picked them up a 3:30pm same day, started re-assembly at 5:00pm then test ride before 7pm.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Wheel Removal Question   Another Wheel Removal Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Wheel Removal Question
Page 1 of 1