Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear wheel removal !!!

Go down 
+12
agreat
NWSSC
Scroller
jmaslak
bikerboy
GHM-PM
Duke1
Sknrdtec
toolboxjesse
RArch
crahar
adventure boy
16 posters
AuthorMessage
adventure boy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
adventure boy

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-05-12

Rear wheel removal !!! Empty
PostSubject: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Can someone please point me in the right direction for a pictorial on how to remove the rear wheel it looks complicated and dont want to start something I cant finish lol
Thanks
Rob
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm

Young Man take a look at this link
http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/rearwheel/page2.html
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Nice one Crahar Smile

Here is the same link but to the first page to avoid any confusion:
http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/rearwheel/rearwheel.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Once you get the process down and you have air tools (to remove, not install!, only use a torque wrench to install!!) you can have the wheel off in about 10 minutes. I drive a lot of miles so I replace my rear tire every few months. I also own a second rear wheel so I can have the tire swapped on the other wheel beforehand and do a quick wheel swap-out in about 1/2 hour start-to-finish.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Every few month's ?
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Yup- I drive about 90 miles round trip most days, so about 1500-2000 miles per month. That's a new rear tire every 3-5 months (not including weekend riding). I have been buying Michelin Pilots for the last few installs which seem to last 6000 miles. I have a Michelin Power Pure SC ready to be mounted and hope it lasts for longer than 6K.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
adventure boy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
adventure boy

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks very much guys Ive ordered a new pair of Hoops so when they arrive ill get the tools out now how, I love a helpfull forum bounce
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 4:39 pm

RArch
I can't believe I messed up like that, we know it has to be the first time I've ever made a mistake like that. I must be getting senile or something of that nature.
No
Craig
:lol!:
Back to top Go down
adventure boy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
adventure boy

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks Guys wheels removed and new tyres fitted all sorted and the bike feels so much soother and seems to want to take a corner now so well happy
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:23 am

I have those Michelin Power Pure SC tyres on my Silverwing and they do a great job, looking to get 6,000 - 7,000 miles out of them!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 8:30 am

Duke1 wrote:
I have those Michelin Power Pure SC tyres on my Silverwing and they do a great job, looking to get 6,000 - 7,000 miles out of them!

I am considering the Power Pure SC tires for my scoot but 6-7K? I already have 8300 on the stock IRC's... And they are not done yet.
Back to top Go down
adventure boy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
adventure boy

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 5:24 pm

I couldnt find them in the UK had to settle for the Hoops !!
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 5:43 pm

I thought that someone in the UK got them from Oponeo. I hope that I'm correct as I want to try them next time.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 6:33 pm

bikerboy wrote:
I thought that someone in the UK got them from Oponeo. I hope that I'm correct as I want to try them next time.

Yes I have, good service too.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 7:31 pm

FWIW, I had no problem removing the rear wheel without removing the muffler, but I used a motorcycle lift that I could drop the tire through (and had to twist it one way to get the hub off the axle, then twist the other way to get the outside of the rim and tire off - but easy and not going to break anything).
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-05-25

PostSubject: Rear wheel removal !   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 9:47 am

I have foLlowed the pictures to the letter and have all steps taken as per instructions, however then final shaft holder does not want to come off the axle to allow the wheel removal any suggestions from the gallery? I have tried putting the nut back on and tapping it but that has not made any difference and I don't want to hit it too hard.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 10:45 am

Do you mean the large spacer (form the link above on page 3 picture 3)?

If so, there is nothing holding that, maybe its just sized with crud and rust... try a twisting motion it may loosen. Hammering the axle wont help but tapping the spacer with a soft mallet may.  Ideally it should just pull it off.
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 am

Hi R Arch no it's not the spacer. I have not been able to get that far it is the swing arm itself that is hung up on the axle ,every bolt nut that is supposed to be removed to that point has been done ,the swing arm will wiggle but I can't pull it off ,will give it another go after I have lunch ,thanks for the comeback.

Scroller.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 am

Right I get what you mean now Smile

Wriggle it some more, it needs to be pulled off straight with the axle which doesn't feels straight in your hands.  You may need to tap it back in place and try again.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Although the swing may be a little stubborn the first time it is removed I think you may have one more bolt holding it. Did you remove the small cover and the bolt behind it toward the right side of the swing arm? Page 15-4 of the service manual.If all bolts are removed you should be able to grab it with both hands rocket from side to side and pull it off. When it is off make note of the spacer on the axle shaft.A slight amount of wheel bearing grease may also be placed on the splines of the axle or on the splines inside of the wheel when assembling.  Good luck.   Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
agreat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Try this https://www.silverwing600.com/t1256-help-with-rear-tire-swingarm-part-removal made me nervous after reading but mine came off fine apart from the axle nut I needed a scaffold pole and my foot to get it loose?

Im going for a Power Pure from 'Riekkoniemi oy' in Finland because Openeo didn't have any:

Sub-Total: £38.03
DELIVERY: 1-3 motorbike tyre (no islands!) (Total): £12.64
Tax: £9.81
Total: £50.67
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

PostSubject: Bolts!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 5:07 pm

All bolts have been removed and I have rocked the arm and wiggled it to no avail it will move but not come clear of the axle. In looking at the pictures of the suspensionpage 15-0 of the service manual it appears there is a washer or shim behind the axle nut . This shim did not come off when the axle nut was removed .i am thinking it may be what is causing me so much grief. If I cannot manage  to remove it tomorrow morning I will have to reassemble it and let the dealer do it . I had hoped to save a few dollars by doing it myself but so far it is not working out for me.

Thanks for all the advise, perhaps a puller might work. May look into that tomorrow if all else fails .
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Seems to me that another inmate here had the same problem about a year ago as you have. I know that eventually he was able to remove that swing arm and the wheel without any serious damage.

Not that the Archive Files here are easy to navigate, but you might give it a go to see if you can find that thread. Good luck.

Tim
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 5:56 pm

I believe that is a bearing collar, check out the first photo on page 15-7.  

You're nearly there considering its moving some bit.  Its an awkward piece (the swing arm) to tap outwards as you cant get around to the back easily.  I wonder if wedging some wood between the swinging arm and wheel to apply a little outward pressure would work, it would need to be even on both sides.

The pullers would work if you can attach it and pull evenly, obviously don't over tighten as it shouldn't need much pressure.

I'm amazed that wriggling it hasn't worked for you, I do remember getting stuck myself but pushing the swinging arm back and trying again worked.  It needed to pulled off straight.
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

PostSubject: Free at last!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 am

Eureka I went to the Princess Auto store and bought a 4in puller and within minutes my problem was solved. Thanks for all the encouragement  it sure was a help ,it was very frustrating to be so close and not getting it off. Does that ever feel good. Hopefully there won't be any hitches on the front wheel.lol

Cheers,
scroller
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

PostSubject: Update to tire change!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 pm

I am pleased to report the tires are changed the wheels have been reinstalled all nuts and bolts torqued and I have had the Swing around the block it all looks good today. For anyone else considering this job I would say persevere and go for it .
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Yes, indeed that is good news Smile

Now, did it really need that puller?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Congratulations, don't it feel good!
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

PostSubject: Re puller.   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 pm

RArch

Yes I would never have  managed without the puller it seemed like there  was corrosion at this area which prevented me from pulling it off manually.  Now I had sprayed the area last evening with a cleaner lube that also may have helped,although I had tried to remove it this morning before going for the puller.  Anyhow glad it's finished and would not hesitate should i have to do it again. 

Scroller.
Back to top Go down
RichG
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 7:07 pm

crahar wrote:
Young Man take a look at this link
http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/rearwheel/page2.html
Just a note to folks with Newer Swings, I have a 2012, the leroybeal instructions do not show the Oxygen sensor on the exhaust that has to be removed. It needs to be unplugged (Electrical connector), then unscrewed from the exhaust being careful not too damage it. This may require removing the right side panel tupperware to get at the electrical connector for the Oxygen sensor.
The instructions also show an allen screw holding the muffler to the frame. On my 2012 it uses a bolt.
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Quote :
I have a 2012, the leroybeal instructions do not show the Oxygen sensor on the exhaust that has to be removed. It needs to be unplugged  (Electrical connector), then unscrewed from the exhaust being careful not too damage it.
Why do you need to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe? Why not just disconnect the O2 electrical connector and leave the sensor screwed into the pipe?
Back to top Go down
RichG
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 2:23 pm

rollsroyce250 wrote:
Quote :
I have a 2012, the leroybeal instructions do not show the Oxygen sensor on the exhaust that has to be removed. It needs to be unplugged  (Electrical connector), then unscrewed from the exhaust being careful not too damage it.
Why do you need to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe? Why not just disconnect the O2 electrical connector and leave the sensor screwed into the pipe?
That is correct, you do not need to remove the O2 Sensor, you can just unplug it's electrical connector.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal !!!   Rear wheel removal !!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear wheel removal !!!
Page 1 of 1