Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear wheel removal

Go down 
+5
steve_h80
Loosemarbles
Cosmic_Jumper
Terry Smith
speeed
9 posters
AuthorMessage
speeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-12-29

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 8:04 pm

I am removing the rear wheel to replace the tire and so looked at the Honda shop manual. I do not understand why it says to remove the Torx Bolts and Right Swing Arm. It did not seem necessary to do this to remove the Final Shaft Holder. I know I heard somewhere I was going to need Torx tools to do this job, but I don't understand why?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 8:48 pm

You definitely don't need to remove the Torx bolts.

With the bike on its wheel/side stand, break the rear axle nut loose. Put it on the centrestand and remove the axle nut fully, then the muffler, then the right shock bottom bolt, the brake calipers and the brake hose carriers. Then the plastic swingarm joint cover, and finally the two swingarm bolts. You should now be able to slip the swingarm straight off the axle, followed by the wheel.

You only need to remove the Torx bolts if you plan on removing the front swingarm section e.g. to access the right crankcase.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 11:30 pm

Hello Mr Speed. It is considered Forum courtesy to first post an introduction in the Introduction section. It appears that you’ve been a member of the forum since 2011 so you should know that.
Back to top Go down
speeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-12-29

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Thank you for that information.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2020 3:38 pm

The arm which holds the rear wheel nut and bottom shock bolt is 'NOT' the swing arm.

I don't understand why it tells you to remove the torx bolts. Terminology confusion?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 2:47 am

It could be that workshop manuals are written for professional mechanics doing a full strip down. For a partial strip, like a wheel removal, they will only do what is necessary.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
The arm which holds the rear wheel nut and bottom shock bolt is 'NOT' the swing arm.

I don't understand why it tells you to remove the torx bolts. Terminology confusion?

Once you bolt it on it is part of swingarm. Manual says to remove it but a good mechanic will always find shortcuts. It pivots off of engine case and there is a bearing in there over stator cover. It's all bolted together so swingarm is really 3-4 parts if you count spacer block. Axle goes through both sides Swingarm in my book.
Back to top Go down
Dabutcher
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2021-03-21

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 8:16 pm

Thank you for removal help. Terry S. One of the rusted bolts on muffler broke off. Maybe I can get it tight with just one. You were a big help for someone without the shop manual.
Love yours. D
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 1:00 am

Dabutcher wrote:
Thank you for removal help. Terry S.  One of the rusted bolts on muffler broke off. Maybe I can get it tight with just one. You were a big help for someone without the shop manual.
Love yours. D

I had the same issue with my muffler clamp bracket; one bolt works just fine.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 8:35 am

Dabutcher wrote:
... snipped ... One of the rusted bolts on muffler broke off. Maybe I can get it tight with just one.

Yes you can and one bolt will hold it ... until it breaks and then you're up Schitt's Creek without a proverbial paddle.

When one of my bolts broke, I replaced both original bolts with stainless steel bolts etc.  Now I don't worry about it happening again and I have a spare, reconditioned bolt if needed.

Last edited by sonuvabug on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 9:40 am

Good location to use anti-seize compound.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 2:50 pm

sonuvabug wrote:
Dabutcher wrote:
... snipped ... One of the rusted bolts on muffler broke off. Maybe I can get it tight with just one.

Yes you can and one bolt will hold it ... until it breaks and then you're up Schitt's Creek without a proverbial paddle.

When one of my bolts broke, I replaced both original bolts with stainless steel bolts etc.  Now I don't worry about it happening again and I have a spare, reconditioned bolt if needed.

KIM that most stainless steel hardware is actually weaker and softer(stretches)than similar steel bolt, torque values should be reduced, personally not a fan of SS hardware in general, they don't corrode by themselves, but when used on any dissimilar metal will react with it and corrode, especially if moisture is involved, stripped/stretched threads is common even if the proper anti-seize is used, that's why your aluminum engine bolts are coated steel not SS.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 3:12 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Good location to use anti-seize compound.

Yes indeed, light coat permatex A-Z or high temp grease on axle, use a acid brush to coat splines.

IMO, one small design flaw/detail is the RH sleeve spacer between wheel and swingarm, no seal at wheel contact ?, Just a dab of grease per SM ?, probably ok, but, I clean wheel/spacer and apply a light coat of Honda bond on sleeve to wheel mating surface, now it's water tight !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rear wheel removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear wheel removal   Rear wheel removal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear wheel removal
Page 1 of 1