Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Vibrations, revisited!

Go down 
+3
"Hi Yo"
bigbird
Ayjayroy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ayjayroy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-09-11

Vibrations, revisited! Empty
PostSubject: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 10:34 am

I'm new in the big family of Silverwwings.
I bought mine used 2 weeks ago with 15000km (±10000mi.) and love it.
However, I have 2 issues: vibrations from standstill to ± 20mph and numbness in my hands on long trips.
I have read many topics on these 2 subjects in this forum.
For the initial vibrations in the dash upon accelerating from a standstill, I have read of two possible remedies: windshield isolation and changing the pulley rollers for Dr Pulley sliders. I find it hard to believe that what happens near the rear wheel affects the Tupperware in the dash Question But if it is the solution, please let me know!! Smile
For the 2nd issue, adding handlebar weights should resolve the problem.
Am I right on these 2 counts? Question
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 11:26 am

Ayjayroy wrote:
 I find it hard to believe that what happens near the rear wheel affects the Tupperware in the dash  Question  But if it is the solution, please let me know!!   Smile
For the 2nd issue, adding handlebar weights should resolve the problem.
Am I right on these 2 counts?  Question

The engine is a stressed member of the frame. Any vibration from the engine/drivetrain gets transferred to the body.
Grip Puppies foam grips resolved any tingling in the hands for me.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Vibrations, revisited! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:12 pm

Sometimes when getting a new ride it is best to give yourself time to adjust before making too many changes. It is good to research solutions others have found useful, but you need to see what fits your riding habits. What works for one might be of no use to another. Besides, you can classify all your riding as doing research. Any excuse to ride is good. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ayjayroy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks to bigbird and Hi Yo for your insight.
I took the windshield off and the vibrations persist, so bigbird's explanation sounds realistic.
Will the Dr Pulley sliders help to diminish or eradicate these low speed vibrations?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Ayjayroy wrote:

Will the Dr Pulley sliders help to diminish or eradicate these low speed vibrations?

Yes. Most of the vibration is caused by the engine being asked to accelerate at too low an rpm, well below its torque producing zone. The vibrations you feel are essentially the engine lugging. Dr. Pulley sliders bring up the accelerating rpm out of the lugging range, so not only do you get much less vibration, you also get much better throttle response and acceleration.
Back to top Go down
Ayjayroy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks, big bird: do you know of any Canadian outfits who sell this product, or must I go to the US?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Ayjayroy try giving more throttle on takeoff then adjust the throttle to the speed you want to go. A big mistake people new to the CTV scooters is too little throttle trying to start slowly to get used to the scooter. The problem with that is the clutch doesn't fully engage at low RPMs. Try the higher throttle thing and see if it helps, my guess is it will. Oh and welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Ayjayroy, You could also try the solution that worked for me suggested by JeffR. Hold the left brake handle tight and rev the engine up to 4000 rpms for about 4 or 5 seconds. I had vibration for about the first two or three stop and goes but this cured it. Now it takes off very smoothly. I did this a bout 3 days ago and haven't had a problem since. It's worth a try.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 6:04 pm

I was bothered by the vibrations as well when I got mine. It was relatively not even broken in, with 3400 km. But I found out that it is a common problem, and I am more at ease. As for the grip problem: 2 things you can do; loosen your grip just a tiny bit. I also found that about 3 wraps of a piece of black non-slip matting secured with zip ties works well for me.
Back to top Go down
Ayjayroy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 pm

I will try that solution tomorrow if weather permits.
Regarding Dr Pulley sliders, I see that the 28x20 (Cool has different weights.
One sight reccommends the 22 on., and then I watched a video on YouTube that shows how to install them and they are installing 26 on. sliders. What is the incidence of the weight on the performance of the SW?
Hum.... any suggestions as to the correct weight to use?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Quite a few of the members here are using 26gm Dr Pulley sliders, while some are using 24 gm sliders. All of them report favorable results and increased performance. Personally, I use 28 gm sliders and find them a big improvement over the OEM 28 gm rollers.

If you are interested, I have a new set of 24 gm Dr Pulley rollers, not sliders, I'm willing to sell at a decent price. Meanwhile you can check with BuggyPartsNW (https://www.buggypartsnw.com/) the N. American distributor for Dr Pulley to see what they have available.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 pm

What Dale suggests will deglaze the clutch pads. But it will only be temporary unless you use a reasonably heavy throttle on takeoff. I used that method to deglaze my scooter when I first got the chattering of glazed clutch pads. After that I always made sure to give enough throttle to engage the clutch pads quickly. I have never had my clutch pads glaze over again. I first had to deglaze my pads in less than eight to ten thousand miles. Now that I make sure to engage the clutch pads quickly I have over 51,000 of chatter free miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vibrations, revisited!   Vibrations, revisited! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vibrations, revisited!
Page 1 of 1