Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Kickstand Extension Plate?

Go down 
+2
Meldrew
BrianInVA
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Kickstand Extension Plate? Empty
PostSubject: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2023 8:08 pm

Has anyone found a kickstand foot plate extender that fits a Silverwing’s side stand, to help hold the bike up on soft surfaces, that doesn’t hit the body panels when the kickstand is up?

I want something that stays attached to the kickstand. 
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2023 11:41 pm

I just ordered this one from eBay for $13. It’s about 2”x3”, supposedly universal fit.
Kickstand Extension Plate? Img_8311
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 2:17 am

I've bought a couple of those CNC machined side stand / kickstand plates for my Forza and both were rubbish. The first one wasn't machined correctly, didn't fit and I returned it and got a refund.

The second was a bad fit too, but I persevered with it until it fell off somewhere in North Yorkshire a few weeks later and by then I was well past caring as they were just silly non essential eBay impulse purchases anyway

The only time I ever use the side stand is for getting on and off the scooter. If I ever need to park up on soft ground when the main stand would dig in and have to use the side stand I carry a square of alloy checker plate that I've had since the Eighties for that purpose.

I also have a couple of the plastic side stand pucks that were magazine or promotional freebies. One has some nylon cord attached to it so I can pull it up and stow it in my glovebox after use.  Not that I'd park on soft ground anyway unless it was absolutely necessary.

An even cheaper alternative is a flattened beer can ( a bike rallies favourite) or a square of scrap wood etc. Using the side stand when you have a main / centre stand is really just plain laziness IMHO, yet it's a common sight where motorcycles are parked. If you have trouble physically hauling your Silver Wing onto it's main stand you should get rid of it any something lighter.

As there's a few topics on here from new owners asking for advice on how to haul their Silver Wing onto it's main stand, you can understand why using the side stand is the easier option.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 6:39 am

Kickstand extensions have been brought up many times so use the search. I love the CNC aluminum pads and have them on both my scooters! They work great and are cheap. One caveat is that the screws tend to work loose so use loctite. I did and problem solved. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 8:12 am

BrianInVA wrote:
I just ordered this one from eBay for $13. It’s about 2”x3”, supposedly universal fit.
Kickstand Extension Plate? Img_8311

My only concern about this is when retracted, is it going to strike the bodywork of the left lower cover?
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 10:40 am

I carry a piece of Marine Plywood 150x90x18mm, with a cord tether in the front lockable Swing pocket for such occasions.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 11:48 am

You can also use a piece of aluminum or stainless steel with a cord on it to pick it back up. I just use a piece of 1/8" steel with a cord.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 11:06 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I've bought a couple of those CNC machined side stand / kickstand plates for my Forza and both were rubbish. The first one wasn't machined correctly, didn't fit and I returned it and got a refund.

The second was a bad fit too, but I persevered with it until it fell off somewhere in North Yorkshire a few weeks later and by then I was well past caring as they were just silly non essential eBay impulse purchases anyway

The only time I ever use the side stand is for getting on and off the scooter. If I ever need to park up on soft ground when the main stand would dig in and have to use the side stand I carry a square of alloy checker plate that I've had since the  Eighties for that purpose.

I also have a couple of the plastic side stand pucks that were magazine or promotional freebies. One has some nylon cord attached to it so I can pull it up and stow it in my glovebox after use.  Not that I'd park on soft ground anyway unless it was absolutely necessary.

An even cheaper alternative is a flattened beer can ( a bike rallies favourite) or a square of scrap wood etc. Using the side stand when you have a main / centre stand is really just plain laziness IMHO, yet it's a common sight where motorcycles are parked. If you have trouble physically hauling your Silver Wing onto it's main stand you should get rid of it any something lighter.

As there's a few topics on here from new owners asking for advice on how to haul their Silver Wing onto its main stand, you can understand why using the side stand is the easier option.
Using the center stand is no guarantee either apparently:
Kickstand Extension Plate? Img_8312

As far as the rest of your personal opinion about who should use what bike?

Fortunately reality is as far separated from that opinion as us colonialists are separated from our beloved curmudgeonly limey blokes who ride Swings across the pond.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 7:20 am

Guys, this is another subjective thing. What works for one may not for another! I like the CNC pads, Meldrew does not, no big thing. I also have a pad that slips under the sidestand (with a hole drilled in it, and a piece of fishing line so it can reach the handlebar). Both cheap and both used in slightly different situations.

Use what YOU want...
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 6:02 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Guys, this is another subjective thing. What works for one may not for another! I like the CNC pads, Meldrew does not, no big thing. I also have a pad that slips under the sidestand (with a hole drilled in it, and a piece of fishing line so it can reach the handlebar). Both cheap and both used in slightly different situations.

Use what YOU want...
I was simply referring to the assertion that people with physical limitations should not ride a Swing, but something lighter/smaller. 

What I’ve successfully lived through (5 strokes, left hemiparesis) and recovered from IMO grants me the right to ride anything I please, his bs notwithstanding. Lesser men wouldn’t even be back on a bike, let alone ride one 3,000 miles to Florida and back. 

I detest forum trolls like him, and I guarantee you his repeated bs keeps people off this otherwise fine forum; I’ve spoken to them in person.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 7:16 pm

For Brian, I do have a question: is your bike parked outdoors regularly like in the initial picture? If so, maybe a lightweight aluminum square would prevent it sinking into the ground, maybe 12 x 12” that would fit in the trunk when not in use and when parked could be on the center stand? Wood would eventually rot I guess- I just meant something metal that may corrode but not rust, like iron (plus it would be heavy/ heavier). I probably wouldn’t rely on thicker plastic as that may crack in the elements.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 8:45 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
For Brian, I do have a question: is your bike parked outdoors regularly like in the initial picture? If so, maybe a lightweight aluminum square would prevent it sinking into the ground, maybe 12 x 12” that would fit in the trunk when not in use and when parked could be on the center stand? Wood would eventually rot I guess- I just meant something metal that may corrode but not rust, like iron (plus it would be heavy/ heavier). I probably wouldn’t rely on thicker plastic as that may crack in the elements.
Fortunately no, It’s usually parked under a big carport with cement floor. I just parked it in the yard to unload it and air out the roof top tent.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2023 12:54 pm

BrianInVA wrote:
What I’ve successfully lived through (5 strokes, left hemiparesis) and recovered from IMO grants me the right to ride anything I please, his bs notwithstanding. Lesser men wouldn’t even be back on a bike, let alone ride one 3,000 miles to Florida and back. 

I detest forum trolls like him, and I guarantee you his repeated bs keeps people off this otherwise fine forum; I’ve spoken to them in person.

Utter nonsense, forum bores like you are much worse. For example bored the arse off everyone for months banging on about some old junk HD you were doing up.

I had a stroke over 12 years ago, not that it has anything to do with maxi riding, neither has the bowel cancer that was detected a couple of years ago that I'm now clear of. Are you trying to get the sympathy vote?

So you lugged a homemade trailer tent to Florida and back, big deal. There was no mention of you ever using it on your trip, you seemed to have spent your time bumming a bed off someone.

You know I was genuinely concerned when that deer nearly got you, and again when I was in Florida last month and had three days of heavy rain in the Miami area, thinking I hope he's not camping out in that. Wasting my time wasn't I.

As I'm obviously off your Christmas Card list, I'll let you know that your selfie avatar is both creepy and pervy, and does everyone really need to know every time you're thinking a buying another piece of junk for your Silver Wing.

When your Silver Wing fell over it was entirely your own fault for making the rookie mistake of using your side stand on soft ground. Which starts you off a topic about buying a kickstand extension plate, then you're obviously sulking because some of us have done all this before and have opinions different to yours.

As for keeping folk off this forum, people come and go and I could probably give you a list of former members that have left over the years that were a darn sight more interesting than you.

I've probably met more Silver Wing riders than you ever will, here at home and over in Europe.

But anyway you can name names, we trolls (your words, not mine) have thick skins. It's quite intriguing who these people you've spoken to in person, considering you disappeared off here for months.

You have a nice evening, I am. I'm typing this sitting in the cocktail bar of our very nice hotel in a snowy Wrocław, Poland, Mrs M"s still looking round the huge Christmas Market. We paid for our accommodation too, unlike you we didn't scrounge it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2023 3:38 pm

I think this has gone far enough...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kickstand Extension Plate?   Kickstand Extension Plate? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kickstand Extension Plate?
Page 1 of 1