Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes Empty
PostSubject: my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes   my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2023 1:41 pm

I noticed my bike sometimes has trouble starting up if it has rained the night before or if it's been raining all day. This bike resides outside all year round but I have a bike cover for it. Example for today it took my entire battery and then a jump start for it to finally backfire and then turn on. (It backfire because I was trying to start it while playing with the throttle which really helps to turn on for me sometimes) it wasn't a matter of low battery as I've already ruled out because even when I have the jumper attached it takes quite a long time for it to actually still turn on even at full engine starter power. Could it be that moisture is getting into the engine starter area perhaps or the spark plugs? Where is the starter located anyway? I know where the spark plugs are. Any inside on why this might be happening?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes   my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2023 3:53 pm

My initial guess would be moisture on the plug wires. You could try spritzing the wires & plug caps with WD-40 AFTER they are throughly dry. And spritz the coil too. If that isn’t successful then replace those wires and caps with the correct items sourced from Honda. Maybe you’ll even have to replace the coil.

Further to that, if you were to remove the tunnel cover and try to start the engine under those wet conditions you may very well see arcing from the plug wires.

Meanwhile the next time you start the bike under those wet conditions try starting the bike with the throttle cranked wide open. IIRC there is something in the ECM which alters the ignition, timing or something under WOT which aids in hard starting situations. I know that’s the go-to procedure for starting “flooded” (Honda) engines.

Please let us know how you get on with this. We all benefit from shared information.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes   my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2023 4:09 pm

Sounds like its time for a little TLC.
Are you running on E10 fuel, E5 or plain unleaded?
Does it smell of fuel when you try to start?
Are the plugs wet or dry after a failed start?

The plugs are accessible by removing the cover under the front of the seat, you will need to raise the seat to remove a screw each side then lower the seat to remove the panel.
the plugs are well protected so moisture is unlikely but remove and check for a spark and colour, should be a sandy brown. Would be a good idea to replace the plugs with Iridium NGK CR8EHIX-9
if not already fitted.
Apart from that it's down to checking wiring connections(sockets/relays) from the coil to ignition switch.

To find the starter you will need to remove the seat and plastic cover that holds your tool kit on the top of the engine. Then remove the big black airbox to expose the starter.
A known issue is the starter relay carbons up giving reduced grunt/amperage/volts, contact cleaner is your friend there. Same for the start button on your right hand switch cluster

Hope this helps you find the problem.

Keep us updated or shout for further help.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes   my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 3:35 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
My initial guess would be moisture on the plug wires. You could try spritzing the wires & plug caps with WD-40 AFTER they are throughly dry. And spritz the coil too. If that isn’t successful then replace those wires and caps with the correct items sourced from Honda. Maybe you’ll even have to replace the coil.

Further to that, if you were to remove the tunnel cover and try to start the engine under those wet conditions you may very well see arcing from the plug wires.

Meanwhile the next time you start the bike under those wet conditions try starting the bike with the throttle cranked wide open. IIRC there is something in the ECM which alters the ignition, timing or something under WOT which aids in hard starting situations. I know that’s the go-to procedure for starting “flooded” (Honda) engines.

Please let us know how you get on with this. We all benefit from shared information.

Where exactly am I spraying dw40 on the sparks?
I have the original toolkit that came with the swing but I don't know how to use the included spark plug remover tool to actually remove the spark plugs. It looks like it needs something else
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes   my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 3:37 am

JohnyC wrote:
Sounds like its time for a little TLC.
Are you running on E10 fuel, E5 or plain unleaded?
Does it smell of fuel when you try to start?
Are the plugs wet or dry after a failed start?

The plugs are accessible by removing the cover under the front of the seat, you will need to raise the seat to remove a screw each side then lower the seat to remove the panel.
the plugs are well protected so moisture is unlikely but remove and check for a spark and colour, should be a sandy brown. Would be a good idea to replace the plugs with Iridium NGK CR8EHIX-9
if not already fitted.
Apart from that it's down to checking wiring connections(sockets/relays) from the coil to ignition switch.

To find the starter you will need to remove the seat and plastic cover that holds your tool kit on the top of the engine. Then remove the big black airbox to expose the starter.
A known issue is the starter relay carbons up giving reduced grunt/amperage/volts, contact cleaner is your friend there. Same for the start button on your right hand switch cluster

Hope this helps you find the problem.

Keep us updated or shout for further help.

Be safe, be seen!

I use 95 (plus) fuel on it.
Only starts to smell like fuel when I crank it while trying to start it up with wet conditions. I definitely have to replace the spark plugs as I've reached 20,000 miles already but I don't quite know how to use the included spark plug remover tool to actually get them out
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes   my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 7:17 am

Here's a vid on how to check your plugs, the person uses a conventional plug socket and ratchet bar but you can use the bike tool. Insert the tool firmly down onto the plug then you will need a 10mm socket and wrench or the 10mm spanner in the tool kit to loosen the plug and draw out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij5nc5-Peaw

I hope this helps you.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes   my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my bike has trouble starting up after rain sometimes
Page 1 of 1