Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Airhawk and GoCruise

Go down 
+3
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
BrianInVA
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Airhawk and GoCruise Empty
PostSubject: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 4:02 pm

After a new gas tank and every bit of usual maintenance I could think or (except new spark plugs), my 7000 mile 2006 Silverwing is back on the road.

Yesterday morning I rode up Interstate 81 from home in northwest Virginia to Harrisburg PA to visit family, 130 miles. I installed a new GBoost belt and 26gm Dr. Pulley sliders last week. It really ran like a top, with dramatically reduced vibration and very smooth running, with increased acceleration from a stop and when passing.

We had a massive(!) downpour in Harrisburg from 4:00pm to 8:00pm so I didn’t ride back home yesterday evening as I had planned.

I am 70 miles into my return trip this afternoon and just stopped for a rest at the first West Virginia rest stop.

Two things I noted after 130 miles yesterday - my right hand was seriously cramping from holding the throttle, and my butt was screaming in protest after 100 miles. I haven’t been on a bike in over two years and my body is deconditioned.

I stopped at the Cycle Gear in Harrisburg yesterday afternoon and picked up the large cruiser Airhawk seat pad as well as a GoCruise. They recommended the GoCruise instead of a CrampBuster.Airhawk and GoCruise 9cb19f10
Airhawk and GoCruise 5ab5e010

The GoCruise has been a godsend. It just works, especially with our cvt transmission. I don’t know if it would work as well with a manual bike. During my stop, I had to adjust the silicone band and the GoCruise to the farthest left position possible on the throttle as the GoCruise itself kept sliding there while in use and sliding off the silicone, so it wasn’t holding as well.

And I’m still trying to “dial in” the Airhawk seat pad. At first, I had too much air in it and it was making me slide forward on the seat. Then I deflated it a bit when I stopped for gas, but I think I took too much air out, as it wasn’t enough cushioning. I’ll put half back in now, for the remaining 60 miles of today’s ride.

Last edited by BrianInVA on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 4:25 pm

Adjusting the backrest a bit forward could offer more lumbar support and reduce the stress on your lower back.
My 2¢
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 5:34 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Adjusting the backrest a bit forward could offer more lumbar support and reduce the stress on your lower back.
My 2¢
Fortunately the lower back problems I experienced with previous bikes has not bothered me in the least with this backrest in its current position. Only my butt hurt yesterday. Plus I have a 32” inseam so I need all the leg room in the cockpit I can get.

No butt trouble on the way back today, but I did take an extended break at the rest stop.

I still might pick up a CrampBuster to see if it works for me too.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 6:59 pm

Airhawk seat cushion and Go Cruise throttle control, I have them both.

The Airhawk Cruiser Mediium is the recommended size for maxi scooter seats like the Silver Wing and Burgman 650. It's the Airhawk cushion I have and indeed it is the ideal size. In my case it's been very rarely use it as my butt is battle hardened from years of push bike seats.  

Purchasing it was simply a rare case of OMF, Old Man Farkling. If any Brit member is interested in an Airhawk cushion, I'll sell them mine. It's a proper neoprene one, not the budget PVC version and comes in a new cover, spare new cover, straps, and a foam insert to raise the seat height.

As for the Go Cruise that's another sad case of OMF too. I've mentioned a few times over the years it's still in it's packaging stored inside the lid pocket of my Givi top box waiting for that ideal day when a cruise control would be useful. In reality that day has never presented itself, whether on our UK or a European motorway system. I know how to fit it and how to use it, but as I don't have a problem holding a twist grip open, I doubt if it will ever be used.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 9:48 pm

Meldrew wrote:

As for the Go Cruise that's another sad case of OMF too. I've mentioned a few times over the years it's still in it's packaging stored inside the lid pocket of my Givi top box waiting for that ideal day when a cruise control would be useful. In reality that day has never presented itself, whether on our UK or a European motorway system. I know how to fit it and how to use it, but as I don't have a problem holding a twist grip open, I doubt if it will ever be used.
My 130 mile ride up Interstate 81 has about 60 miles of fairly straight four and six lane highway with a 70mph speed limit. The rest of the trip is mostly 65mph speed limit. So there’s plenty of opportunity to use a friction lock “cruise control.” I usually make this trip twice a month in my car. Now I can take the Silverwing instead. The GoCruise is nice because as soon as you gently twist the throttle to slow down it disengages. Kinda idiot proof. Which is good for me…

I found a Kuryakyn XW5.5 roller bag last week on Facebook Marketplace too. It was literally owned by a little 67 year old lady who just gave up riding her Harley trike! They retailed for around $340 but she just “wanted it out of the way” and sold it for $80. It’s big enough to pack for an extended tour.
Airhawk and GoCruise Eee21610

I’m planning to ride the Skyline Drive from the northernmost Virginia entry, to its south end, then connect to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and then the Great Smokey Mountains National Park road this September. The whole stretch is about 750 miles top to bottom and there are plenty of campgrounds to stop along the way. I haven’t decided yet whether to return via the same route or just come back up Interstate 81 which somewhat parallels it.

This Kuryakyn bag, along with the Kappa 47l top box I found on Facebook Marketplace for $30 a couple weeks ago, will be perfect for that trip. (I get way too excited about finding “bargains” on used stuff online…)

And if all the stars align, I’ll have my mini “foamie” camper trailer to pull behind the Silverwing completely built before that trip and I’ll be able to camp in it. I did find out a Canadian company sells a manufactured mini camper trailer exactly the shape and size of the one I’m building, but it weighs over 400 pounds and sells for $20,000. Mine will be less than 200 pounds and I should have less than $900 total invested in building it. Airhawk and GoCruise 07a77d10
Airhawk and GoCruise 23500a10

Last edited by BrianInVA on Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 10:16 pm

Body takes so time to adjust after not riding. Takes me about 3 good rides to adjust after winter.
It was hot on Sunday had to pushing 90°F down that way.

I'm about 90 miles from Harrisburg and ride that way often. A little farther north of Harrisburg on east side Rt 325 it is a nice ride. Big woods and tree tunnel for a few miles, traffic is good and ends at Rt 209 make a left and back to Susq. River.

Another good ride is Michaux State Forest Rt 233 to Pine Grove Road to Mt Holly Springs. 233 meets Rt 30 at bottom.

Rode 293 miles on Sunday and it was hot up here and I went north up above Scranton PA. area.

Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 10:23 pm

I use both a Crampbuster as well as a Go Cruise on the 2 ST1100s. I use a Crampbuster on the Silverwing but I haven’t tried the Go Cruise on that yet. I’m sure it will be as good as it is on the bikes. I do have a question because I saw in your picture that you have the stand that elevates the back rest. I understand that get you about 1.5 to 2 inches of rearward movement with that. I find that the buttrest pushes me a little bit too far forward in the seat so what I have been doing is taking it off for a ride. I want to put it back on and I want to elevate it and have it pushed backwards. I will assume that 2 inches should be enough so that it’s comfortable. Do you find that the backrest elevated as in your picture is comfortable?
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 10:40 pm

I envy that ride want to do that myself. Road some of the Parkway far too many years ago down in NC.
Went to A FJR1300 group meet in Boone NC. and rode a lot of good roads. Stayed a few nights in Pigeon Forge and rode The Dragon 129 good times to be had.

Smokies Mt. are nice. Sept. morning coming over a ridge and valleys for miles all fogged nothing but the tops showing and sunshine.  Looked like snow I'll never forget that.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 11:05 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
I do have a question because I saw in your picture that you have the stand that elevates the back rest. I understand that get you about 1.5 to 2 inches of rearward movement with that. I find that the buttrest pushes me a little bit too far forward in the seat so what I have been doing is taking it off for a ride. I want to put it back on and I want to elevate it and have it pushed backwards. I will assume that 2 inches should be enough so that it’s comfortable. Do you find that the backrest elevated as in your picture is comfortable?
Yes, I’ve found it to be very helpful. I’m 6’2” so I needed that extra space on the seat. On prior motorcycles I always had trouble with low back pain from an old herniated disc, but with this low back support I’ve had no low back trouble on my Silverwing whatsoever.

The Silverwing butt rest to low back rest conversion kit is still available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/270772988952

Quality control can be hit or miss and the seller can be crotchety but he usually makes things right; the weld on my first conversion kit was very poor and snapped immediately but he sent a replacement with a more robust design promptly.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2022 11:13 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Body takes so time to adjust after not riding. Takes me about 3 good rides to adjust after winter.
I rode 130 miles back home this afternoon, then went for a 45 mile ride with a friend this evening, and I had no further butt discomfort nor cramping in my right hand from the throttle. So the Airhawk and the GoCruise were good investments.

Mech 1 twa wrote:

I'm about 90 miles from Harrisburg and ride that way often. A little farther north of Harrisburg on east side Rt 325 it is a nice ride. Big woods and tree tunnel for a few miles, traffic is good and ends at Rt 209 make a left and back to Susq. River.

Another good ride is Michaux State Forest Rt 233 to Pine Grove Road to Mt Holly Springs.  233 meets Rt 30 at bottom.

Rode 293 miles on Sunday and it was hot up here and I went north up above Scranton PA. area.
Nice!

I grew up in Altoona PA and lived in Johnstown PA for 25 years, so most of my riding has been in western Pennsylvania. My mom and sister live near Harrisburg now, in Mechanicsburg, so I’m up there quite often. I want to get back up to the Poconos and the Delaware Water Gap and do some riding up there yet this summer too.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2022 6:06 am

Appreciate the response! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2022 9:35 pm

I grew up in Altoona PA and lived in Johnstown PA for 25 years, so most of my riding has been in western Pennsylvania. My mom and sister live near Harrisburg now, in Mechanicsburg, so I’m up there quite often. I want to get back up to the Poconos and the Delaware Water Gap and do some riding up there yet this summer too. Quote.

Poconos isn't what it used to be a few things have changed in so many ways, traffic NY.NJ. tourists and development.  I know so many roads up that way, but I really don't ride that way often anymore.

I've been in Altoona a time or two famous Horseshoe Curve and some nice rides in the woods.  Stayed a few nights up in Clearfield PA. and explored that area.  Kinzua Bridge is nice made it into a State Park and has an interesting visitor center now. Bridge is open at least halfway the rest got taken out by a tornado.
RT. 30 around Somerset is a nice ride. Flight 93 memorial is worth a visit it's been 21 years since that happened. 911.
Ride On.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2022 8:02 am

I too use a medium Airhawk and yes it is a pain to adjust the air level (less is best) but when dialed in it really helps. In addition my Wing has a Crampbuster which is helpful on long rides. Electronic cruise ala the Goldwing it is not but help it does. I have several over 400 mile days on this scoot and all is well.

Mine has the buttrest to backrest conversion as well and I have never regretted it. It has been on nearly 10 years!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2022 8:46 am

My Airhawk only needs two or three breaths. The idea is not to inflate like an air bed which I believe is the most common misconception about using a Airhawk correctly. Just a thin layer of air between butt cheeks and scooter seat.

Having spent a couple of weeks driving in Arizona with Mrs M, I'd say a cruise control would be useful on those long straight roads pointing to the horizon. I remember standin' on that famous corner in Winslow, although I couldn't have been much of a fine sight to see, as there were no girls in flatbed Fords slowin' down to take a look at me.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2022 7:52 pm

There is another company that sells air adjustable seat covers. ASI air seat innovations its very similar to Airhawk. I have one and like it time will tell how long it lasts. Has a nice steel valve tucked into seat with zipper.  These feel a little awkward at first butt slides around but after some time it feels normal. Pressure is the key sometimes have to lower it as temps. increase over the day. What you wear under riding gear is important also cotton shorts stay wet on hot days, and we all know how that feels.

Airhawk and GoCruise Asi11
Back to top Go down
ron1999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ron1999

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 9:48 am

Couldn't spend the 50$ for the GoCruise (sorry GC, it's too much for a piece of plastic) so ended up buying a cheap copy from Amazon.

Man, did that save my wrist during this 1,100 miles trip this weekend.
Along with the Givi high windscreen and a BT helmet speakers - it was a life saver.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 11:49 am

ron1999 wrote:
Couldn't spend the 50$ for the GoCruise (sorry GC, it's too much for a piece of plastic) so ended up buying a cheap copy from Amazon.

Man, did that save my wrist during this 1,100 miles trip this weekend.
Along with the Givi high windscreen and a BT helmet speakers - it was a life saver.
The basic plastic GoCruise I picked up at Cycle Gear was $11.

It didn’t hold each and every time I used it. Sometimes it allowed the Silverwing to slowly decelerate. So I ordered the aluminum adjustable version on Amazon for $31 and passed on the plastic version to a friend. (It just arrived today and I haven’t tried it yet with the thunderstorms we’re having.)
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 8:50 pm

Ever hear of Vista Cruise throttle lock? Grips on throttle tube and still easy to turn has just enough to hold it when adjusted properly. Lock and unlock with just a flip of thumb. I like them have been using one for many years.

Different than GOCruise  but it works better on longer rides to help release the grip for a short time and only minor adjustments for hills.

Airhawk and GoCruise Vista10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airhawk and GoCruise   Airhawk and GoCruise I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airhawk and GoCruise
Page 1 of 1